Re: Directors You Hate

Postby driftin » 12 Oct 2018, 15:57

Marcus Nispel

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 12 Oct 2018, 17:35

The Modernist wrote:
HEN wrote:oh I don't know

I'm not going to spend several hours to find out which directors have made really bad films

Most of Winner's 60s films are actually quite enjoyable in a lightweight way.
He was a bumptious and arrogant person though and made some terrible films in the latter part of his career, so I can understand why you'd say him.

Michael Loser, more like.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Oct 2018, 13:31

Andy Warhol
Ben Wheatley
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Oct 2018, 14:33

Ben Wheatley's great.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Oct 2018, 14:40

High Rise was terrible
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Oct 2018, 15:51

Jeemo wrote:High Rise was terrible

Was it? I've not seen his last couple I've got to admit. Ballard's a difficult guy to film.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Oct 2018, 16:10

A Field in England was absolute drivel, and Kill List goes severely off the rails at the end.

Not sure if I've seen anything else by him, it was mainly on the strength of A Field in England that he sprang to mind.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Oct 2018, 16:18

I enjoyed A Field in England. I thought there was something very original about it, but it certainly wasn't perfect. It seemed a bit slapdash as if the script could have been given more work, but I really liked the mood it created. Kill List is, for me anyway, a bit of a modern classic.

algroth

Postby algroth » 13 Oct 2018, 22:10

I really liked A Field in England myself, and quite enjoyed Kill List too. As Mod says it's all in the mood and style for the former but I also quite liked how it utilized the general "narrative" behind certain alchemy practices to build the protagonist's arc and so on - the whole turning a soul of lead into a soul of gold and the likes. It was great.

As for the directors mentioned so far, I guess I'd rank them this way...

Love: Alejandro Jodorowsky, Peter Greenaway, Derek Jarman, Steven Spielberg, Michael Haneke, Stanley Kubrick, Michelangelo Antonioni, Alain Resnais
Like: Wes Anderson, Nicolas Winding Refn, Woody Allen, Coen Bros, Guillermo del Toro, Oliver Stone, Ben Wheatley
Mixed: Gaspar Noe, Quentin Tarantino, George Lucas, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, Judd Apatow, Jean-Luc Godard, Lars von Trier
Dislike: M. Night Shyamalan, Michael Winner, Marcus Nispel, Andy Warhol
Hate: Michael Bay, Baz Luhrmann

With those mentioned there's a number of filmmakers who I have a little more contempt for than I do their films based on their personas and their 'stature' in the cinephile community the likes of Godard, Von Trier, Tarantino or Cameron, but I cannot really say I hate them or their films for that matter - I even like a few of them. Much like PENK I can see a craft in them that separates them from truly awful filmmakers, but the latter are the sort that hardly merit hatred either. I do hate Michael Bay's films but I don't really lose sleep over them either. Baz Luhrmann's a good shoutout though, because he's someone who seems to have a bit of both fields of the above.

Off the top of my head I can't really think of many filmmakers I actively hate. But I suppose some of the more controversial ones I dislike would be...

James Benning
Lav Diaz
Koji Wakamatsu
Makoto Shinkai
Andrew Bujalski
Luc Besson
Adrian Lyne
Jon Jost

driftin

Postby driftin » 13 Oct 2018, 22:39

I really like Ben Wheatley. I've seen all of his films and they're all unique and completely different from each other in interesting ways.

I also really ike Gaspar Noe, Nic Winding Refn, Peter Greenaway, Derek Jarman, and Alejandro Jodorowsky. I would put it down to taste but I'll just say it's because I'm part of the pretentious BCB new guard and want to look cool.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 20 Oct 2018, 22:05

algroth wrote:
Lav Diaz
Makoto Shinkai

I’m with you 100% on these guys. I haven’t been convinced by any of their work. I will say Your Name is a huge improvement in quality for Shinkai, though.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 20 Oct 2018, 22:18

driftin wrote:I really like Ben Wheatley. I've seen all of his films and they're all unique and completely different from each other in interesting ways.

I also really ike Gaspar Noe, Nic Winding Refn, Peter Greenaway, Derek Jarman, and Alejandro Jodorowsky. I would put it down to taste but I'll just say it's because I'm part of the pretentious BCB new guard and want to look cool.

I really like Ben Wheatley too. His films aren’t perfect but I’m ok with that, at least they’re interesting and each is distinct from the next. I thought Kill List was genius.
I admire more than like the other directors you mention. I think they all have different merits but aren’t necessarily for me. Gasper Noe seems like a bit of a chancer though.

Return to “Screenadelica”