Bergman's video collection

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Bergman's video collection

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Sep 2018, 11:08

He had a viewing room and a huge VHS collection, mostly pre-recorded tapes, there in his house on Fårö island, in the Stockholm archipelago. This was all pre-DVD/Blu-ray/4K/flatscreen. Swedish TV is showing a documentary series in which movie celebs are invited there to talk about their work, celebs whose films figure in the collection. First guest was Robert DeNiro. He talked a bit about his approach to comedy roles and what he'd have done if he had ever gotten an offer from Bergman. I switched off after that, as I have poor attention span these days when it comes to movies. I get restless. Blame the internet with its promise of a quick fix. Anyway, for a highbrow, art house director like Bergman, you'd be surprised what could be found in the collection. Really commercial fare like "Emmanuelle" and even "Anger Management". He was a film buff, alright. He liked his popcorn, too: "Jurassic Park", "Ghostbusters". Seriously, over 1500 films in his home library.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Bergman's video collection

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Sep 2018, 14:23

I thought this was going to be about the upcoming Criterion box set of all of his movies.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Sep 2018, 16:03

I'm not even sure I'd want to see all his films, they can be a hard slog.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 27 Sep 2018, 16:54

Great thread!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Sep 2018, 18:08

Well, it's not Ant vs Bee, that's for sure.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Sep 2018, 18:17

Big fan of Porky's apparently.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2018, 18:19

I would have enjoyed watching "Porky's" in his company.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Screenadelica”