Bergman's video collection

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Bergman's video collection

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Sep 2018, 11:08

He had a viewing room and a huge VHS collection, mostly pre-recorded tapes, there in his house on Fårö island, in the Stockholm archipelago. This was all pre-DVD/Blu-ray/4K/flatscreen. Swedish TV is showing a documentary series in which movie celebs are invited there to talk about their work, celebs whose films figure in the collection. First guest was Robert DeNiro. He talked a bit about his approach to comedy roles and what he'd have done if he had ever gotten an offer from Bergman. I switched off after that, as I have poor attention span these days when it comes to movies. I get restless. Blame the internet with its promise of a quick fix. Anyway, for a highbrow, art house director like Bergman, you'd be surprised what could be found in the collection. Really commercial fare like "Emmanuelle" and even "Anger Management". He was a film buff, alright. He liked his popcorn, too: "Jurassic Park", "Ghostbusters". Seriously, over 1500 films in his home library.

1966 and all that

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Bergman's video collection

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Sep 2018, 14:23

I thought this was going to be about the upcoming Criterion box set of all of his movies.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Sep 2018, 16:03

I'm not even sure I'd want to see all his films, they can be a hard slog.
1966 and all that

THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 27 Sep 2018, 16:54

Great thread!
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Sep 2018, 18:08

Well, it's not Ant vs Bee, that's for sure.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Sep 2018, 18:17

Big fan of Porky's apparently.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2018, 18:19

I would have enjoyed watching "Porky's" in his company.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass