RIP Burt Reynolds

..and why not?
User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11778
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: RIP Burt Reynolds

Postby The Modernist » 07 Sep 2018, 09:20

Matt Wilson wrote:Like I said, we'll never know what he was capable of. I mentioned earlier that Harrison Ford was a better actor. Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure. McQueen either, when you get right down to it. He was just smarter when it came to picking projects for himself than Burt was.


In a way the model for what he should have been was Clint Eastwood. Eastwood made quite a lot of light star vehicle type films ( what was the one with the Orang a Tang? You can imagine Burt in that!) but he always mixed it with something darker or tougher.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22749
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: RIP Burt Reynolds

Postby never/ever » 07 Sep 2018, 09:50

Any Which Way You Like
Every Which Way But Loose.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

caramba
Posts: 291
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: RIP Burt Reynolds

Postby caramba » 07 Sep 2018, 10:59

The Modernist wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Like I said, we'll never know what he was capable of. I mentioned earlier that Harrison Ford was a better actor. Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure. McQueen either, when you get right down to it. He was just smarter when it came to picking projects for himself than Burt was.


In a way the model for what he should have been was Clint Eastwood. Eastwood made quite a lot of light star vehicle type films ( what was the one with the Orang a Tang? You can imagine Burt in that!) but he always mixed it with something darker or tougher.



The key difference was that CE established himself as a talented director across several genres and almost certainly had a lot more control over his career than did BR.

iirc, the two appeared together in some long-forgotten 80s movie called City Heat or some such. Pretty sure that BR got badly injured during the making of that movie and he and his career never really recovered as a result of his lengthy recovery. Rumours that his enforced layoff was due to his being gay and having contacted HIV probably didn't help. A former girlfriend of mine who was a journalist interviewed him in the late 80s and came away with nothing nice to say about him.

Still, Deliverance was a fine movie that has dated very little and BR was excellent in it so RIP, Big Burt

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18030
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: RIP Burt Reynolds

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 07 Sep 2018, 13:27

caramba wrote:A former girlfriend of mine who was a journalist interviewed him in the late 80s and came away with nothing nice to say about him.


Really? Any details? I always got the impression he was a decent sort of fella.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23668
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: RIP Burt Reynolds

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Sep 2018, 05:15

Matt Wilson wrote:You know it's a fascinating question, really. In terms of who was the better actor - Burt, Steve, or Harrison. All three of them only had one nomination in their lives. Redford, too (acting, not directing). Those guys were pretty much just themselves onscreen. Some were just better at choosing their pictures than others.


Redford is one of the greatest screen actors ever. McQueen was formidable. Maybe Reynolds was on some kind of par with Harrison Ford. No shame in that.

I don’t think it makes sense to talk about a guy with 186 IMDB acting credits in terms of potential. So let’s just say that he was always good at what he did.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

caramba
Posts: 291
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: RIP Burt Reynolds

Postby caramba » 08 Sep 2018, 08:37

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:You know it's a fascinating question, really. In terms of who was the better actor - Burt, Steve, or Harrison. All three of them only had one nomination in their lives. Redford, too (acting, not directing). Those guys were pretty much just themselves onscreen. Some were just better at choosing their pictures than others.


Redford is one of the greatest screen actors ever. McQueen was formidable. Maybe Reynolds was on some kind of par with Harrison Ford. No shame in that.

I don’t think it makes sense to talk about a guy with 186 IMDB acting credits in terms of potential. So let’s just say that he was always good at what he did.


Very true. Let's not forget that despite all the parts he turned down and all of the clunkers he made, he was also number one box office attraction for an unprecedented five years.

As the man said at the end of his autobiog "nobody had more fun than I did".

caramba
Posts: 291
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: RIP Burt Reynolds

Postby caramba » 08 Sep 2018, 08:40

BOXO wrote:
caramba wrote:A former girlfriend of mine who was a journalist interviewed him in the late 80s and came away with nothing nice to say about him.


Really? Any details? I always got the impression he was a decent sort of fella.


Kate was one of those very forthright Aussie girls who got big name interviews because she rarely ever pulled any punches either when interviewing people or writing them up later.

She met BR at a time when his career had stalled and news titles all over the world were suggesting he had HIV/AIDS so I would imagine his antipathy was well-placed