Recommend everyone a film

..and why not?
hippopotamus

Recommend everyone a film

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jun 2018, 19:32

What film should we see if we haven't and why?
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Recommend everyone a film

Postby copehead » 10 Jun 2018, 21:08

Revenge of the Nerds
80s time capsule

Hotel Coral Essex

:lol:

Although that was Revenge of the Nerds II obviously :|
Last edited by copehead on 11 Jun 2018, 19:23, edited 3 times in total.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jun 2018, 21:26

Most people who would open this thread have seen more great, obscure films than I have, so I'm really gonna have to think on this...

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 10 Jun 2018, 21:59

Clive Donners pitch black comedy from 1964, Nothing But The Best. Starring Alan Bates but containing a fabulous scene-devouring Denholm Elliott.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Jun 2018, 22:03

It's one these unclassifiable horror films. There's lots of humour that's very Australian and its themes are very Australian too but also universal.
It has similarities to movies like Deliverance but it's also unlike anything I've ever seen. There's a degree of realism and real life horror that is hard to shake off, particularly the hunting sequence which is quite extraordinary. In the end maybe the movies primal nature is the most disturbing thing of all. There's an uncomfortable truth at its heart that keeps it fresh and relevant.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jun 2018, 22:40

Charlie O. wrote:Most people who would open this thread have seen more great, obscure films than I have, so I'm really gonna have to think on this...

Funnily enough it was thinking about a recommendation of yours that I started this thread. Since you told me to watch the Manchurian candidate I've been absolutely DYING to see it.
I don't think it has to be obscure, but I guess it's hard to imagine everyone hasn't seen all the films you have seen.

I recently recommended Petrified Forest to someone who absolutely fell in love with it.

It's a pre-noir noir. It's very 1930's let's put a staged show on camera, sort of way. But It's got a refreshingly different pace to other films. It's got Bette Davis acting up a storm, Leslie Howard being Leslie Howard... and giving humphrey bogart his big break in this (leading to Bogart naming his child after him.)
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jun 2018, 22:58

The Shout (1978)

A wild Alan Bates stars in a folk horror in a misty, deserted Cornwall. Hugely atmospheric.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Jun 2018, 23:36

Catch a load of this..

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (1972)

Dysfunctional family and botany.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Jun 2018, 16:03

Pansy Puff wrote:The Andromeda Strain (1971).
I love it. It has a nerdy approach to the science, the characters feel like scientists, and it takes a low-action approach apart from the last twenty minutes. I read somewhere that there's no music in the film until about 10 minutes to go. This kind of thing adds to the feeling of realism.
As a film I can, however, totally understand people hating it.

Good pick, I love The Andromeda Strain

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Jun 2018, 16:05

The Modernist wrote:The Shout (1978)

A wild Alan Bates stars in a folk horror in a misty, deserted Cornwall. Hugely atmospheric.

I don’t know this one. Sounds like my kind of thing

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Jun 2018, 16:08

Theatre of Blood (1973)
Vincent Price gets to ham it up to his hearts content as he plays a disgruntled actor who decides to kill off the critics that gave him bad reviews with a series of grizzly murders, influenced by Shakespear plays, that live up to the film’s title. Hugely entertaining

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Jun 2018, 17:48

Coherence (2013) Fans of science fiction and horror should enjoy this creepy story of overlapping realities.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

borofan

Postby borofan » 11 Jun 2018, 18:34

trans-chigley express wrote:Theatre of Blood (1973)
Vincent Price gets to ham it up to his hearts content as he plays a disgruntled actor who decides to kill off the critics that gave him bad reviews with a series of grizzly murders, influenced by Shakespear plays, that live up to the film’s title. Hugely entertaining

Not just VP. Also Diana Rigg, Eric Sykes, Robert Morley, Arthur Lowe, Dennis Price, Harry Andrews, Michael Hordern, Diana Dors and more. A cornucopia of worthy British thesps chewing the scenery. Glorious.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Jun 2018, 23:28

Shooting Fish.
Enjoyable British comedy from the late nineties. Not the greatest piece of art ever, but a perfectly decent film.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Jun 2018, 05:43

borofan wrote:

Not just VP. Also Diana Rigg, Eric Sykes, Robert Morley, Arthur Lowe, Dennis Price, Harry Andrews, Michael Hordern, Diana Dors and more. A cornucopia of worthy British thesps chewing the scenery. Glorious.

You're right, I'd forgotten it had such a strong cast.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Jun 2018, 12:10

One of my favourite films of recent years, a down to earth comedy-horror from New Zealand, which works well on both fronts.

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 12 Jun 2018, 13:38

Positive Passion wrote:Shooting Fish.
Enjoyable British comedy from the late nineties. Not the greatest piece of art ever, but a perfectly decent film.

I once dated a guy who this as his favourite film. He even bought it for me to make sure I had seen it. Its pleasant enough but Im still not sure why it made such an impression.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 12 Jun 2018, 13:38

borofan wrote:

Sounds great!
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

borofan

Postby borofan » 12 Jun 2018, 18:36

hippopotamus wrote:
borofan wrote:

Sounds great!

It is!
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

ARe: Recommend everyone a film

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Jun 2018, 10:07

Last year at Marienbad.

It's the film that National Lampoon's Animal House is based on - an irreverent bildungsroman of anarchic student life.

Return to “Screenadelica”