Scariest Ever Films (Guardian List)

..and why not?
Darkness_Fish

Scariest Ever Films (Guardian List)

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jun 2018, 12:56

Any comments on this list: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... hereditary

It seems to misunderstand the concept of Audition, imo, Peeping Tom is utterly risible, but I'm always pleased to see The Babadook and The Innocents getting mentions. I've never really cared for Rosemary's Baby, either, it just comes across a bit silly, in my view.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Re: Scariest Ever Films (Guardian List)

Postby Rayge » 07 Jun 2018, 13:06

Darkness_Fish wrote: I've never really cared for Rosemary's Baby, either, it just comes across a bit silly, in my view.

Yep. Repulsion, though, was generally scary and shocking. And great as Don't Look Now is, it's hardly a taut suspense thriller, is it, with one genuine shock in its whole length – no more so than, say, Performance?
And there's a few films from the 40s - Val Lewton comes to mind - that manage to be scarier than many of the others on the list that I've seen, but especially The Wicker Man, which I found not remotely frightening (my memory of it is as a sort of perverse Hammer-style sex comedy)
Last edited by Rayge on 07 Jun 2018, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 07 Jun 2018, 13:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:Any comments on this list: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... hereditary

I wouldn't really put Don't Look Now or The Wicker Man in there.
They are deeply, darkly, mesmerising cult films in their own right and justifiably so but I Would put Hannibal, the 2001 film.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jun 2018, 13:41

Samoan wrote:I Would put Hannibal, the 2001 film.

Really? I'm pretty sure I have seen it, but I don't recall much about it. Then again, I'm not really a fan of that franchise.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jun 2018, 13:45

If I was putting my horror-geek hat on, and picking some less well-noticed films, I'd add Housebound which has some genuinely creepy moments, as well as being very bloody funny indeed. And the very low-budget Hell House LLC, which I thought handled the 'found footage' concept better than most (by cheating a bit, probably), but it handles the horror by being unnerving, rather than jump-scares and gore.

driftin

Postby driftin » 07 Jun 2018, 19:11

Most of the usual suspects there, not that there's anything wrong with that, plus some highly acclaimed modern ones like Hereditary, Get Out, and It Follows which were good, perhaps even really good, but I'd much rather see a film like Under the Skin on the list instead. It's more unique, elliptical, and strange and its horror is much more piercing and memorable than the usual ghosts and ghoulies. The beach scene alone is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen in any film.

The lack of The Thing is criminal too.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jun 2018, 21:36

driftin wrote:The lack of The Thing is criminal too.

I never rated that film, either. I've always found it slightly boring, with rubbish effects.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Jun 2018, 22:54

Darkness_Fish wrote:
driftin wrote:The lack of The Thing is criminal too.

I never rated that film, either. I've always found it slightly boring, with rubbish effects.

I’m used to your music posts making no sense but this takes the biscuit.

To quote kurt Russell: “you gotta be fucking kidding”
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 08 Jun 2018, 09:43

John Carpenter's The Thing is one of the best - never get tired of watching it and the effects are great. So much better than all the cgi stuff you get nowadays.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Jun 2018, 15:11

I'm surprised Don't Look Now is even on the list never mind number 1. I like it but it's NOT scary at all.
Suspiria is a little overated I think. I found it a bit disappointing when I finally got to see after hearing of its reputation.
The original 1963 version of The Haunting should be on the list. The Thing and The Omen are two other big omissions and I really like Rosemary's Baby.

There's quite a few I've never seen, which is surprising given that I love horror movies.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jun 2018, 15:59

I've never got the love for Don't Look Now either. The dwarf does not creep me out, and the film drags.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Jun 2018, 16:06

I'm usually on Fish's side for most things, especially music, but not this time. He couldn't be more utterly wrong.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Jun 2018, 16:08

Oh, another major omission is Spoorloos (aka. The Vanishing). No sudden loud noises, no on screen killing or gore, I think it's even a 12A or PG-13, yet it's so much creepier and tenser than most 15 and 18 rated horror classics.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Jun 2018, 16:09

Scary is one of these words I don't understand when we are talking about horror films sometimes. It seems quite reductionist, ephemeral, limiting, especially when we are talking about films that haunt and get under your skin, you know? I think Don't Look Now is one of those films that really haunts. It's an existential horror that reminds us that our lives can end in such a random, bizarre moment that is actually more horrifying than any number of other "horror" movies that may provide jump scares and brief moments of awfulness but fail to deliver something so insidious and profound. The dwarf is Death, shaking her gnarly head and reminding us that we don't get to chose that moment, it just happens and there's fuck all you can do about it. What's scarier than that?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Jun 2018, 16:09

driftin wrote:Oh, another major omission is Spoorloos (aka. The Vanishing). No sudden loud noises, no on screen killing or gore, I think it's even a 12A or PG-13, yet it's so much creepier and tenser than most 15 and 18 rated horror classics.

GREAT film. A personal favourite.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Jun 2018, 22:16

driftin wrote:Oh, another major omission is Spoorloos (aka. The Vanishing). No sudden loud noises, no on screen killing or gore, I think it's even a 12A or PG-13, yet it's so much creepier and tenser than most 15 and 18 rated horror classics.

did realize the american version was a remake have to see if I can find the original to watch I'm sure its way better.

In regards to horror movies, we always find real life horror movies or movies that can actually happen as more scary then some fictional never going to happen in real life movie.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 17 Jul 2018, 01:46

That film is utterly terrifying and one that really stays with you.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

joels344

Postby joels344 » 17 Jul 2018, 02:04

I would add Possession (the 1981 film) to that list. It’s about a crumbling marriage, which is typical in drama films, but the surrealism, intensity, body horror elements, and general sense of madness captured throughout the film make for an absolutely frightening experience at times. Plus, the acting job by Isabelle Adjani is hypotonic and unforgettable.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jul 2018, 15:22

joels344 wrote:I would add Possession (the 1981 film) to that list. It’s about a crumbling marriage, which is typical in drama films, but the surrealism, intensity, body horror elements, and general sense of madness captured throughout the film make for an absolutely frightening experience at times. Plus, the acting job by Isabelle Adjani is hypotonic and unforgettable.

A VERY odd film. I'm not sure what I made of it but it's certainly worth a watch, if only for the scene in the subway station.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 20 Jul 2018, 19:46

Goat Boy wrote:
joels344 wrote:I would add Possession (the 1981 film) to that list. It’s about a crumbling marriage, which is typical in drama films, but the surrealism, intensity, body horror elements, and general sense of madness captured throughout the film make for an absolutely frightening experience at times. Plus, the acting job by Isabelle Adjani is hypotonic and unforgettable.

A VERY odd film. I'm not sure what I made of it but it's certainly worth a watch, if only for the scene in the subway station.

That subway scene is one of the most surreal moments I've ever seen in a movie and I've seen plenty of odd films before.

Return to “Screenadelica”