Barry - HBO Series

..and why not?
Davey the Fat Boy

Barry - HBO Series

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 May 2018, 02:00

Anyone else watch the first season of this one?

The cast drew me in, though I was wary of the premise. The notion of a quirky black comedy about a hit man who dreams of being an actor seemed a bit TOO quirky. But Bill Hader had impressed me in a few things already (most notably in “The Skeleton Twins” - which showed him to be an actor of some real depth). Add in Stephen Root and Henry Winkler, and I figured it would be worth trying.

At first it seemed like roughly what I thought it would be. Funny..offbeat..dark...maybe a bit forced. But man...did it slowly build to a gut punch. By the last two episodes it began to reveal itself as a real work of substance.

It’s quite a predicament they’ve put their lead character in. He was essentially doomed before we ever met him, due to life decisions or circumstances we don’t yet know. He’s not going to get away from his fate. But I hope he prolongs it for several seasons so that I can watch him destroy everything around him for as long as possible.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Barry - HBO Series

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 May 2018, 18:42

It's in my Netflix queue. People seem to have good things to say about it, so I'm looking forward to watching it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 May 2018, 20:12

I've been watching little bits and pieces of episodes. Wasn't able to figure out the connection between the hitman scenes and the amateur acting scenes.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 May 2018, 21:52

pcqgod wrote:I've been watching little bits and pieces of episodes. Wasn't able to figure out the connection between the hitman scenes and the amateur acting scenes.

I've been watching it haphazardly too. The plot hasn't been very riveting to me.

Winkler is great in it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 18 May 2018, 00:17

he's turned into a very interesting comic character actor.
his work on "Arrested Development" as the world's most affable half-assed lawyer is really outstanding.
uggy poopy doody.

`

Postby ` » 18 May 2018, 18:18

Watched the first two episodes a week apart.

Didnt think it was particlarly good.

Might rewatch them back to back in a few weeks to find out if it's a more involving as a binge watch.

If not, 'fraid it's a Barry-free life for me.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 May 2018, 22:01

The last two episodes of the season are really strong. Don’t give up too early.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “Screenadelica”