2001: A Space Odessey turns 50

..and why not?
Quaco
F R double E

Re: 2001: A Space Odessey turns 50

Postby Quaco » 07 Apr 2018, 00:18

I didn't really like The Shining either. I liked it at first, when it was more of an exploration of childhood premonitions/family trauma, but when Jack starts to go wacko, it became a lot less interesting. Some great shots cinematically, but didn't love it.

I agree that Kubrick was brilliant, but Full Metal Jacket and definitely Eyes Wide Shut made me think he had lost it. His '50s, '60s, and '70s were fantastic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Apr 2018, 00:46

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don’t begrudge anyone the right to dislike a film. But generally when you are in the realm of Kubrick films, the deficit isn’t on the part of the movie. I never really got that much from Full Metal Jacket, but I fully accept that it is a good film.

I'm glad I'm not you :)

You don’t know the half of it.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Apr 2018, 01:07

Eyes Wide Shut is not a good movie.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2018, 01:45

Quaco wrote:I didn't really like The Shining either. I liked it at first, when it was more of an exploration of childhood premonitions/family trauma, but when Jack starts to go wacko, it became a lot less interesting. Some great shots cinematically, but didn't love it.

I agree that Kubrick was brilliant, but Full Metal Jacket and definitely Eyes Wide Shut made me think he had lost it. His '50s, '60s, and '70s were fantastic.

The Shining is wonderful. Think of it as a possession movie.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Apr 2018, 03:30

toomanyhatz wrote:Eyes Wide Shut is not a good movie.

I disagree. We had a thread about it at one point, but I can’t find it.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Apr 2018, 09:52

Quaco wrote:
Rayge wrote:Kubrick struck me back then as a miserable fucker with a nasty outlook on life, and I've never had a reason to change that view.

I can see how some of his movies (Barry Lyndon, The Shining) might leave you with that feeling, but 2001 -- mankind does evolve -- and A Clockwork Orange -- people are people and society should never try to change that -- both seem pretty optimistic or at least neutral.

It's not the stories, it's his aesthetic, and the way I perceive his personality and world view through the making of his films, of which I've seen only a few. The ones I did see, though, usually left me feeling worse when I left the cinema than when I went in. I thought Clockwork Orange was dreadful and reveled in imagined cruelty and a dripping contempt for humanity, that Dr Strangelove was amusing and horrid in about equal proportions, Lolita was dull, monochrome and ugly as sin, and Spartacus, well, Spartacus was all right. I never bothered with any of the others, at least in part because I was so alienated by the ones I did see, Orange and Odyssey in particular.
It's just an opinion, of course, and I don't see the point of trying to defend it further ;)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Apr 2018, 13:44

Rayge wrote: Orange and Odyssey in particular.

The great lost British psychedelic classic.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Apr 2018, 13:50

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote: Orange and Odyssey in particular.

The great lost British psychedelic classic.

:)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Apr 2018, 15:28

Goat Boy wrote:
Quaco wrote:I didn't really like The Shining either. I liked it at first, when it was more of an exploration of childhood premonitions/family trauma, but when Jack starts to go wacko, it became a lot less interesting. Some great shots cinematically, but didn't love it.

The Shining is wonderful. Think of it as a possession movie.

I watched The Shining at the cinema during a season of Kubrick movies that were being shown a couple of years ago and seeing it on the big screen gave me an even greater appreaciation of it. I think his movies are made for the big widescreen for total immersion.

I hated Eyes Wide Shut and wish his final movie was AI instead. Spielberg made a decent stab at it adopting a Kubrick style but I think it was made to be a Kubrick movie and could have been a final masterpiece to remember him by rather than the reputation tarnishing Eyes Wide Shut.

2001 is my favourite movie of all.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 18 Apr 2018, 16:41

I don't think Eyes Wide Shut is as bad as it's made out. I'd rather watch poor Kubrick than anything by that nonce suit wearing Wes Anderson.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 19 Apr 2018, 23:22

I felt guilty that I found something to say about the "Roseanne" reboot but hadn't bothered to write anything in a 2001 thread.
I just read this review of a current book and I enjoyed it.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... t-was-made
the writer describing being in his grandfather's 80's Chrysler made me feel old but he said this...
Kubrick was incapable of not making Kubrick films

which made me chuckle. I'm the guy who likes pretty much everything the guy did. I remember Rod Steiger telling Bob Costas on TV that the very qualities which made him a basket case as a person made him suited to being an actor. I think those of us who rank him WAY up there feel a similar thing about Kubrick. I'm sure we could rattle off a list of emotional problems and would be sure to hit the bullseye at least once. the dude was clearly OCD at the very least. for whatever reason I think he was a very talented and singular artist in his chosen field. while SK made "pop culture" I think, of all his films, this is the easiest to call art. you look at it and it speaks to you or it doesn't. it certainly speaks to me and it does my heart good to know it speaks to people whose grandfathers drove 80's Chryslers.

For me, the most astounding moment of the film is a coded tribute to filmmaking itself. In “The Dawn of Man,” when a fierce leopard suddenly faces us, its eyes reflect the light from the projection system that Kubrick’s team had invented to create the illusion of a vast primordial desert. Kubrick loved the effect, and left it in. These details linger in the mind partly because they remind us that a brilliant artist, intent on mastering science and conjuring science fiction, nevertheless knew when to leave his poetry alone.

uggy poopy doody.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Apr 2018, 00:03

Just listen led to this podcast about it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i-t ... f5J58NKXto

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Apr 2018, 12:17

Tried to watch again last weekend. I bought it off Sky cinema (UK Cable station) it only downloaded 27 min. I took it as a sign. :D
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 26 Apr 2018, 14:32

Dr Markus wrote:Tried to watch again last weekend. I bought it off Sky cinema (UK Cable station) it only downloaded 27 min. I took it as a sign. :D

A sign that you were only evolved enough to watch the caveman parts, maybe??

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Apr 2018, 14:43

Quaco wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Tried to watch again last weekend. I bought it off Sky cinema (UK Cable station) it only downloaded 27 min. I took it as a sign. :D

A sign that you were only evolved enough to watch the caveman parts, maybe??

Whayhey! :D
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 26 Apr 2018, 15:05

:D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Apr 2018, 15:56

It's on again at the cinema in June so I'll have to go.

Maybe I'll get some weed
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Apr 2018, 21:40

If you spark up in the cinema, you might only last 27 minutes too.

Return to “Screenadelica”