The Aristocats
7%
Robin Hood
4%

Total votes: 69

Positive Passion

Re: Your favorite Disney animated feature

Postby Positive Passion » 25 Apr 2018, 20:10

Coco, for what it is worth, is brilliant.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Apr 2018, 11:03

K wrote:I'm still blown away by the psychedelic nature of the 'pink elephants on parade' scene from Dumbo. The music is magnificent, wigged out and macabre jazz that combines perfectly with off the wall visuals.
The elephant with elephant heads for arms and legs was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Absolutely. I've had this exact conversation with others before - they always go away, look at it again and come back with "Christ, i've never realised that before!".

If they weren't on LSD, they certainly had minds that foresaw its effects. Just checked it, and (Wiki):

LSD was first made by Albert Hofmann in Switzerland in 1938 from ergotamine, a chemical from the fungus ergot. The laboratory name for the compound was the acronym for the German Lyserg-säure-diäthylamid, followed by a sequential number: LSD-25.[13][15] Hofmann discovered its psychedelic properties in 1943.

So they were just very prescient (the film was released in 1941)............ :lol:
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

gash on ignore, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Apr 2018, 11:07

A great piece on Pink Elephants here :

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/a ... -elephants

I can't believe Pink Elephants on Parade exists. It's a five-minute indulgence in a film that lasts just over an hour. A bizarro squeal of throwaway surrealism that somehow becomes the turning point of Dumbo, the greatest animated film of all time.

Dumbo was made as Disney faced disaster. Pinocchio and Fantasia had flopped at the box office. The little story about a misfit elephant with bedsheet-sized ears was the quick, cheap money-spinner – a speedy knock-off of Helen Aberson and Harold Pearl's children's book that had to save the studio. There was no need to take a risk, to experiment or get weird. But the Disney team did anyway. Inspired by Dali and Jack London they decided to spike the punch, to plonk an extreme alcohol hallucination into the middle of a sweet children's story.

Pink Elephants arrives as Dumbo's at his lowest ebb. He's useless as a circus performer. His mum's been labelled insane and locked up. His only friend in the world is the elephant's worst nightmare: a mouse called Timothy, who prescribes a drink of water, without realising it's been spiked with champagne.

Dumbo's first drink makes him hiccup. Then he starts blowing bubbles that transmute into elephants. They start to play a song. That drags us into the grotesque. The big elephant stamps on the little one. A belly dancer turns into the sun, turns into an eye. There's a chorus of elephants with trumpets for trunks. A swooning, ice-skating waltz. An electrifying merengue that explodes into a packed dancefloor of swaying elephant flesh. The fourth wall gets pulverised - the Technicolor pachyderms march around the edge of the screen. The score – by Disney regulars Oliver Wallace and Frank Churchill – throws up a cocktail of twisted lounge music. There are elements of blues, waltz and jazz, but they're all distorted and passed through so quickly that locking into the groove is like trying to grab bubbles.

Dumbo watches all this in a boozy stupor, but it makes me twitchy. I feel sick, even before the bossanova stomp of the final section rattles into a cacophony and the whole dream tumbles in on itself.

This isn't a modern, right-on Disney movie. Dumbo wakes up in a tree with a hangover. Timothy wonders how they got up there and then realises – it was the ears! Dumbo can fly! But it's not Dumbo's self-belief that leads him to salvation. It's not pluck, nor guts, nor persistence. It's booze that unlocks his gift.

That's a terrible, adult message. As good an example of Disney's darkness as any. We talk now about mainstream animations pleasing parents and kids. About the ability of the best cartoons to speak in two languages simultaneously. That's presumed to mean that an adult joke can be slipped into a children's movie. But Pink Elephants does the same thing with fear. It's a hostile and alienating piece of film-making. Fascinating and terrifying to kids and grown-ups alike. I can't believe it exists. But I'm so glad it does.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

Display this post.

driftin

Postby driftin » 02 May 2018, 18:04

Pinocchio by far. A masterpiece.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 03 May 2018, 12:04

Diamond Dog wrote:A great piece on Pink Elephants here :

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/a ... -elephants

Thanks for posting that.

I've honestly never met anyone who liked it... and I've always LOVED it.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 May 2018, 12:23

It's strange because I thought pretty much the same - it's great when you find there are others! :lol:

Display this post.