The Aristocats
10%
Robin Hood
4%

Total votes: 50

never/ever

Your favorite Disney animated feature

Postby never/ever » 24 Mar 2018, 09:05

I'm sure it has been done before but which ones of these classic feature length Disney-classics are your favorites? I used Robin Hood (1973) as a cut-off point.
With Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Alice, Cinderella and Jungle Book I obviously mean the original 20th-century cartoons and not the remakes from the last decade or so.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Your favorite Disney animated feature

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2018, 09:25

The Aristocrats, Jungle Book and Fantasia for me. I haven't seen them since I was a kid though.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Mar 2018, 09:27

Never seen the last four in the list, but I voted for Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp (not that I'm dog-eyed or anything), and, as much to represent the era as anything else, Snow White
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 24 Mar 2018, 09:32

I only voted for The Jungle Book but I have a bit of a soft spot for Dumbo and Cinderella as well, purely based on my seeing them as a kid in the cinema.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 24 Mar 2018, 09:35

Fantasia - Alice in Wonderland - The Aristocats

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Mar 2018, 10:45

The poll was initiated when I watched Pinocchio earlier this evening, hadn't seen it in decades. I could not remember how dark it was in places.

Fantasia has been far and away been my favorite of the canon. Just like when I heard the story of Peter and the Wolf narrated to the music of Prokofiev, this was an introduction to a complete new world to me. The visually dramatic arrangements were amazing to me.

Dumbo I watched in the cinema, just like Bambi. In a time where these kind of movies were special, unlike the overflow of computer-animated movies, they seemed very personal and personable, there was a labour of love in every frame and detail that you can't get these days.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

K

Postby K » 24 Mar 2018, 18:05

From these: Fantasia, Dumbo and the Jungle Book.

Moana is well worth checking out too.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Mar 2018, 13:04

No Aladdin? :o Disgraceful leaving it out.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Apr 2018, 22:30

Although it was the first Disney movie I saw on the screen, Jungle Book was the first where the animation wasn't as perfect as the others.

I voted Pinocchio simply because of the superb animation, although it's kind of stiff, and Bambi because it combined both. To be fair though, Cinderella has probably the best comic characters in Jaq and Gus and probably the best character development of the earlier films.

This is a great book on Disney. It's long, but very entertaining.

OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 20 Apr 2018, 07:25

Dr Markus wrote:No Aladdin? :o Disgraceful leaving it out.

He does say the cut-off point is 1973.

The best of this lot are Pinocchio and Dumbo.

The worst is Robin Hood, the only Disney film where characters who should be human are played by animals.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Apr 2018, 08:19

Snow White, Fantasia & Dumbo.

All of them truly ground breaking.

Having read at least three different Disney biographies (including the brilliant Gabler book Sloop highlighted),in terms of animation it is simply astonishing what went into "Snow White" . The time taken and attention to detail is staggering. It's unquestionably one of the greatest works of art of the 20th Century.

"Fantasia" is technically nearly as brilliant - the marriage of real life and animation and music is still mindblowing.

"Dumbo" is actually my favourite, in terms of 'watchability'. It's a beautiful film, with a completely different animation style to that which preceded it. The pastel, almost art nouvaeu, style is just blissful.

Up to Bambi (how could I leave Bambi out?) Disney made five completely different, and revolutionary, films. They are all completely different from eachother stylistically, yet are undeniably Disney. From "Cinderella" onwards, the 'formula' took over and (whilst there were still great films) the actual artistic side of the films wasn't as thought provoking or challenging - they were stripped down versions of the previous films. Almost entirely because the cost of the process was so astronomically prohibitive that it just couldn't continue. But, for that golden period, Disney Studios was the hub of an extraordinary flourish of creativity and the pursuit of perfection that still sends a shiver down my spine.

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.