BCB Top 100 TV Shows - And the winner is...

..and why not?
User avatar
ORORORO
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17125
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby ORORORO » 05 Apr 2018, 15:56

and there you go
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8138
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Pansy Puff » 05 Apr 2018, 15:58

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:and there you go

"Have the Rolling Stones shot."
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8138
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - 95 down, 5 to go

Postby Pansy Puff » 05 Apr 2018, 15:59

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:i get the praise - I think it's incredibly funny and creative at its best - but all this talk of seasons and peaks, not to mention the endless quoting and referencing, is a little sad.

Like the fishy fella said, I watch it when it's on (and it usually is, somewhere), but I couldn't tell you who's who, really. The show seems to attract trainspotting types more than even Star Trek. And it's just a cartoon!

But oddly enough you do this about the shows you love (and the music you love).
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46670
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - Just 10 to go...

Postby Quaco » 05 Apr 2018, 17:35

caramba wrote:
Quaco wrote:It wasn't always intended that way. George Markstein was co-creator, and he definitely saw it as a (trippy, visually interesting) spy series with Number 6 a continuation of John Drake. Needless to say, he and McGoohan began to disagree as the show went on, and by the end, Markstein had left and McGoohan wrapped it up the way he wanted to.


George Markstein is also the nameless government functionary behind the desk who P McG confronts in the credits at the start of the show.

Having read a few biogs of the man and books on the show, I'm not sure if I'd agree that McG wrapped everything up in the way he wanted to though.

In the sense that at first he didn't really know how he wanted it to end, or that "Fall Out" wasn't satisfactory to him being a rush job, or something else? Mainly, I was saying that Markstein's more realistic take was no longer an issue once he left. Which biog do you recommend. I'd love to read one!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

caramba
Posts: 138
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - Just 10 to go...

Postby caramba » 05 Apr 2018, 20:07

Quaco wrote:
caramba wrote:
Quaco wrote:It wasn't always intended that way. George Markstein was co-creator, and he definitely saw it as a (trippy, visually interesting) spy series with Number 6 a continuation of John Drake. Needless to say, he and McGoohan began to disagree as the show went on, and by the end, Markstein had left and McGoohan wrapped it up the way he wanted to.


George Markstein is also the nameless government functionary behind the desk who P McG confronts in the credits at the start of the show.

Having read a few biogs of the man and books on the show, I'm not sure if I'd agree that McG wrapped everything up in the way he wanted to though.

In the sense that at first he didn't really know how he wanted it to end, or that "Fall Out" wasn't satisfactory to him being a rush job, or something else? Mainly, I was saying that Markstein's more realistic take was no longer an issue once he left. Which biog do you recommend. I'd love to read one!




Given that last year was the Prisoner's 50th, I really thought there would be a ton of books about the show and biogs of McGoohan plus the obligatory 50th anniversary DVD box set. What actually happened was the show got a cursory episode-a-night showing on some obscure oldies channel on Sky and that was pretty much it.

Ended up watching the youtube video I think you yourself posted. I also read the biog most Prisoner fans on Amazon UK called the best of what proved to be a disappointingly limited bunch ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOT-NUMBER-Pat ... k+mcgoohan

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46670
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Quaco » 05 Apr 2018, 20:26

Thank you caramba! I think I will check that out. I like a lot of the stuff he has done. I actually rated Danger Man higher than The Prisoner in this Top 100 list -- just. He seems like he would have been difficult in real life, but there seems to be a strong person there one could at least respect, and that energy certainly translated to the screen!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22123
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2018, 22:22

You got to hand it to any writing team that gets the term 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' into the world's vocabulary.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14394
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 06 Apr 2018, 06:52

No Thunderbirds. You should have a good look at yourselves.
king of the divan

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22123
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby never/ever » 06 Apr 2018, 07:48

mentalist (slight return) wrote:No Thunderbirds. You should have a good look at yourselves.


Did you vote?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16375
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby gash on ignore » 06 Apr 2018, 14:09

I’ve put a pony on Tales of the Unexpected.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.


User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46670
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Quaco » 06 Apr 2018, 18:41

mentalist (slight return) wrote:No Thunderbirds. You should have a good look at yourselves.

I voted for the earlier and superior Supercar !
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29192
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Apr 2018, 20:34

What are the chances the #1 show won't be Monty Python?

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26925
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Apr 2018, 20:37

Matt Wilson wrote:What are the chances the #1 show won't be Monty Python?


Pretty good, actually.

I think The Simpsons will be #1.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29192
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Apr 2018, 20:49

Well, we've certainly named the top 2 anyway.

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26738
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby the masked man » 06 Apr 2018, 20:59

So it's not going to be Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos then?

User avatar
ORORORO
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17125
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby ORORORO » 06 Apr 2018, 21:09

the masked man wrote:So it's not going to be Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos then?


despite Red Heifer's best efforts...
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26925
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Apr 2018, 21:12

No Carol Burnett, Ed Sullivan, Soul Train or 30 Rock :cry:
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8138
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Pansy Puff » 06 Apr 2018, 21:17

Or Threads. I can't believe that no-one (in the UK) voted for Threads apart from me.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14623
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby The Red Heifer » 06 Apr 2018, 21:17

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:
the masked man wrote:So it's not going to be Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos then?


despite Red Heifer's best efforts...


As much as I adore the whole story around the show I never actually saw it! I was too young when it was famously yanked off the air halfway through, and by the time they had the balls to air it again (they had to wait until Kerry "get this shit off the air" Packer was safely dead though) I was kind of over dogs humping things. :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14623
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby The Red Heifer » 06 Apr 2018, 21:18

toomanyhatz wrote:No Carol Burnett, Ed Sullivan, Soul Train or 30 Rock :cry:


I voted for 30 Rock but it might have been just us.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?