BCB Top 100 TV Shows - And the winner is...

..and why not?
Quaco
F R double E

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - 95 down, 5 to go

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2018, 18:14

I was going to say how cool it was that The Young Ones placed so high, but I won't now! It's definitely a show where a lot of stuff was put in there that was barely even noticeable or was in-jokes, so the more you watch it, rewind things, or (ideally) read a script of some kind, the better it gets.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 03 Apr 2018, 18:30

The Wire not being in the top 3 is a bit of a surprise..

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Apr 2018, 18:42

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I'm sure there's a large element of nostalgia with The Young Ones vote..and that's fine; best not to rewatch it though because they'll realise it's not actually that funny.

It's very funny.

What pleased me when I watched it again recently is how much is going on. It's not just dickhead students shouting at each other - there's a fair portion of (good) surrealism, there are the animation cutaways, Alexei Sayle's visits, the musical interludes. I'd forgotten about a lot of that and I think it stands up pretty well. Maybe it's gone through 'dated' and out the other side.

The fact that it's placed higher than The Sopranos is wrong whichever way you look at it. But I'm glad to see it there.

Wow, sometimes I just totally agree with you. :D

They're broadly-drawn characters, of course, but they're supposed to be caricatures. And they're funny ones. And the cast is great. And so (usually) are the musical guests.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 03 Apr 2018, 18:44

Quaco wrote:I was going to say how cool it was that The Young Ones placed so high, but I won't now! It's definitely a show where a lot of stuff was put in there that was barely even noticeable or was in-jokes, so the more you watch it, rewind things, or (ideally) read a script of some kind, the better it gets.

toomanyhatz wrote:They're broadly-drawn characters, of course, but they're supposed to be caricatures. And they're funny ones. And the cast is great. And so (usually) are the musical guests.

Agreed.

I think older comedies only date well if they're at least fairly fast-paced.* Bilko is maybe the best example of this. The Young Ones definitely rattles along breathlessly.

I think I rate Bottom a little higher - don't think that's placed at all. Hm.

*I suppose this isn't true of Laurel and Hardy - but everything is so beautifully choreographed you don't notice the stately pace
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Apr 2018, 18:46

The Simpsons is going to be #1.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Apr 2018, 18:49

Also completely forgot about Black Adder. Haven't watched it in years, but I remember thinking it was funny.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2018, 19:11

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:I think older comedies only date well if they're at least fairly fast-paced.* Bilko is maybe the best example of this. The Young Ones definitely rattles along breathlessly.

Conversely, I don't really like dramas that are too fast-paced. In general, I am drawn to series that are like plays, where people are moving about in spaces, letting the script do a lot of the work and leaving silence for us to think and discover along with the characters. The best episodes of Star Trek are like this ("The Corbomite Maneuver", "Court Martial"). The antithesis of this would be CSI, which is like smoking crack.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - Results up to 62

Postby Copehead » 03 Apr 2018, 19:33

nev gash wrote:
Unward Brank wrote:
nev gash wrote:Fair enough, I get a bit lightheaded contemplating anything below York.

I thought you were from Brighton?

I was hounded from Brighton due to my homophobia 8-)

Like deebank
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Apr 2018, 19:35

Shows I might have voted for had I thought about it:

I Love Lucy
The Old Grey Whistle Test
The Blue Planet
Cosmos
The Rockford Files
Top of the Pops
Dr. Who
The Avengers
The Latry Sanders Show
The Muppet Show
Police Squad
Black Adder

Shows I guess I have to watch now:

The Thick of It
Breaking Bad
The Wire

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 03 Apr 2018, 19:50

I still think we need to recognise just how bad the Simpsons has become since, probably, series 9. We're on something like series 26 now. Just a poor, poor imitation of itself. Do any other shows in the (potential) top ten demonstrate such an ability to not know when to stop? (Dr Who was not in the top ten).
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Apr 2018, 20:29

1) It's still better than most shows, particularly of its type
2) I get laughs - at least a few - every episode.
3) The list of shows at a high level for 9 years is incredibly small.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2018, 21:03

toomanyhatz wrote:Shows I guess I have to watch now:

The Thick of It
Breaking Bad
The Wire

Why torture yourself?

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 03 Apr 2018, 21:15

toomanyhatz wrote:1) It's still better than most shows, particularly of its type
2) I get laughs - at least a few - every episode.
3) The list of shows at a high level for 9 years is incredibly small.

1. I'm not comparing it to shows of its type. I don't really like most of the imitators.
2. I watched a couple of episodes from series 13 the other day. Not one laugh. Not one. Can you imagine that happening in series 6, for example?
3. 9 years is generous. I'd actually say series 3 to 7 were the classics.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Apr 2018, 21:18

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I'm sure there's a large element of nostalgia with The Young Ones vote..and that's fine; best not to rewatch it though because they'll realise it's not actually that funny.

It's very funny.

What pleased me when I watched it again recently is how much is going on. It's not just dickhead students shouting at each other - there's a fair portion of (good) surrealism, there are the animation cutaways, Alexei Sayle's visits, the musical interludes. I'd forgotten about a lot of that and I think it stands up pretty well. Maybe it's gone through 'dated' and out the other side.

The fact that it's placed higher than The Sopranos is wrong whichever way you look at it. But I'm glad to see it there.

I have rewatched a fair bit of The Young Ones, and I don't think I found it massively funny. However, it still stands alone in how chaotic/shambolic everything was, the fact that it wasn't polished, that bits of it were rubbish, bits of it were quite funny, bits of it were just nonsense that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I like that. When you see how over-written American comedies are, and how completely safely boring most British comedies are, it deserves a vote just for being a loosely drawn together shambolic thing. Which helped redefine TV expectations for a bit.

I almost voted for The Sopranos, too, it was the last major series I watched, but also a kind of cut-off for that kind of thing. I was sick of it by halfway through season 2.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 03 Apr 2018, 21:20

The Simpsons has well over 100 wonderful episodes. Slim fucking pickings eh?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 03 Apr 2018, 21:23

nev gash wrote:The Simpsons has well over 100 wonderful episodes. Slim fucking pickings eh?

Not surprised that an imbecile like you doesn't understand the discussion.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 03 Apr 2018, 21:29

I suppose it’s a little like your head Kal.

All we see now is a follicle-free expanse of scrotum coloured flesh, but surely it’s better to remember the time, pre-chromedome, when hair held sway?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 03 Apr 2018, 21:32

I'll continue the discussion with hatz, drawing a veil over the bizarre interjection by poor, lonely, attention starved Clive.

Hatz, I totally understand why people will have voted for The Simpsons. During its heyday I loved it and still pull out the odd line and laugh. I have my reason for not voting for it, which was my belief that it has taken a bigger nosedive than Stevie Wonder.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2018, 21:35

Darkness_Fish wrote:I have rewatched a fair bit of The Young Ones, and I don't think I found it massively funny. However, it still stands alone in how chaotic/shambolic everything was, the fact that it wasn't polished, that bits of it were rubbish, bits of it were quite funny, bits of it were just nonsense that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I like that. When you see how over-written American comedies are, and how completely safely boring most British comedies are, it deserves a vote just for being a loosely drawn together shambolic thing. Which helped redefine TV expectations for a bit.

Seeing it from different angles also makes it better. I enjoyed this, where they go through the script a bit, a lot:

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Apr 2018, 22:43

Again: Beatles vs. Frog Chorus. Not that I think it's ever descended that far, but even if it did - he was still in the Beatles.