Oscars Tonight

..and why not?
User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Oscars Tonight

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Mar 2018, 16:14

Anyone give a shit? I stopped caring along time ago. I think the expected lecturing from actors and directors will turn people off.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23789
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Mar 2018, 17:30

Dr Markus wrote:Anyone give a shit? I stopped caring along time ago. I think the expected lecturing from actors and directors will turn people off.


I don’t give much of a shit because most of the movies are bad. If anything, the fact that artists might use the occasion to speak up is one of the few aspects of the evening I AM interested in.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35066
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby PENK » 05 Mar 2018, 08:32

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don’t give much of a shit because most of the movies are bad.


You think?

I think Del Toro is a hack but otherwise the one ’Best Picture’ nominee I’ve seen (Dunkirk) was excellent and the rest all look at least interesting (maybe not the Churchill one). It looked the strongest selection in years.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19623
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 05 Mar 2018, 09:51

PENK wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don’t give much of a shit because most of the movies are bad.


You think?

I think Del Toro is a hack but otherwise the one ’Best Picture’ nominee I’ve seen (Dunkirk) was excellent and the rest all look at least interesting (maybe not the Churchill one). It looked the strongest selection in years.


Yeah, that's what I thought too. Lots of very fine films.

I understand how important it is for actors to make their position known and to be seen to be part of this movement, but by fuck it's not in the least entertaining. And I always watched the Oscars (red carpet and all) for the enjoyment.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32791
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Mar 2018, 10:10

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:
PENK wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don’t give much of a shit because most of the movies are bad.


You think?

I think Del Toro is a hack but otherwise the one ’Best Picture’ nominee I’ve seen (Dunkirk) was excellent and the rest all look at least interesting (maybe not the Churchill one). It looked the strongest selection in years.


Yeah, that's what I thought too. Lots of very fine films.

I understand how important it is for actors to make their position known and to be seen to be part of this movement, but by fuck it's not in the least entertaining. And I always watched the Oscars (red carpet and all) for the enjoyment.


Yeah, it's tedious.

I've only seen Get Out, Dunkirk and Three Billboards but two of them are very good indeed. Judging by the reviews Call Me By My Name, Lady Bird and Phantom Thread are worth checking out too. I'm less fussed about Spielberg and Del Toro
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 1047
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby PresMuffley » 05 Mar 2018, 11:54

The only film nominated that I tried to watch was Get Out. Didn't make it half-way through as it seemed ridiculously obvious and OTT. Pretty much the entire cast was annoying.

I'm all for satire, social commentary, etc., but this was a rather weak attempt in my view.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Mar 2018, 12:26

No great surprises really. Read a review of it from the BBC. Suggested it went well, and Emma stone kinda bombed when mentioning there was only one woman nominated for best director.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5464
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby algroth » 05 Mar 2018, 14:08

Yeah, another vote in favour of this year's selection and, to be honest, the selection of most of the past few years as well. As far as I'm concerned the Oscars haven't been in this strong a streak since the 70s, and it makes the whole whingening around the awards ring fairly hollow to my ears. But granted, they could do with far less preaching at the actual ceremony.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Mar 2018, 14:28

It shows like it was a tame affair this year.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17038
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby clive gash » 05 Mar 2018, 23:03

Imagine how livid you’d be if you died and then popped up in a montage with musical accompaniment from Eddie fucking Vedder. Thanks a bunch.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5464
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby algroth » 05 Mar 2018, 23:16

nev gash wrote:Imagine how livid you’d be if you died and then popped up in a montage with musical accompaniment from Eddie fucking Vedder. Thanks a bunch.


Beats Lady Gaga or Celine Dion at least. :lol:

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 13:02

At least there was some laughs.

Emma Watson jokes she needs a tattoo proof reader


http://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-43292921
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20820
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Jeemo » 06 Mar 2018, 13:19

I'm glad Markus wasn't interested otherwise I'd never know what happened.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.