Your films of the year 2017

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Your films of the year 2017

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Jan 2018, 15:11

I haven't seen as many new movies as I'd like this year cos I've been going to the cinema less to try and save some cash. I'll get round to some of the more highly rated ones like Florida Project and Call Me By Your Name in time. I have ordered Moonight so I'll see if that lives up to the hype.

I enjoyed all of these to varying degrees:

The Disaster Artist - I'm a big Room fan so I maybe predisposed to liking this but it's a very likeable film about an eccentric trying to fulfill his dreams. Franco is very good.

Raw - Interesting coming of age Belgium horror about cannibalism and family.

Bladerunner 2049 - I would like to see this again but I thought it was very good but not quite great. Astoundingly good visuals though and it largely avoided the pitfalls of sequels by marking its own territory.

Get Out - Not as good as the hype suggested but a very good horror that got a bit silly towards the end

Free Fire - Wheatley is always interesting and i thought this was a wild and funny satire/homage of action movies. Lots of yucks

And the best movie....

Twin Peaks: The Return. I know it was a TV show but it managed to surpass anything I saw in the cinema. The cultural highlight of the year for me. Maddening, beguiling, awesome and with one of the great haunting endings to any TV show. I'm still obsessed by it.

Old Films Newly Discovered:

The Last Detail
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
Sunrise
The Marriage of Maria Braun

Hated:

Mother!
Alien: Covenant
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Jan 2018, 18:48

Didn't see a lot of movies, but the following were all pretty great:

Coco
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Victoria and Abdul

...that's all I can think of right now. Wow. I really haven't seen a lot of movies this year.

Lady Bird, I Am Not Your Negro, and The Florida Project are on the agenda next.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Jan 2018, 22:16

German Dave wrote:

(a taster)

Looks silly. Pilger is a bit of a joke these days

The best doc I saw last year although it came out in 2016 was the OJ Simpson one which I thought was fantastic
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Jan 2018, 13:02

I saw Dunkirk the other day. I enjoyed its realism but was a bit surprised by the persistent music. At times it worked but I preferred it when it was being more avant garde.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 03 Jan 2018, 13:44

Goat Boy wrote:I saw Dunkirk the other day. I enjoyed its realism but was a bit surprised by the persistent music. At times it worked but I preferred it when it was being more avant garde.

Thought the music was used perfectly and used in just the right amount throughout the film. I'd love to see the film with the best acoustics and sound system going. The tension and fear it helped create was fucking brilliant. It was up there when you heard the jaws music for the first time and then throughout the jaws movie. Bit of a jump in terms of film genre but it's the first example it came to mind. The music combined with the sounds of the film left me at the edge of my seat anyway.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 03 Jan 2018, 16:15

most films that I saw at the cinema were blockbuster type things that the wee guy wanted to see. Mostly they were fine, Thor 3 was fab on its own terms and Last Jedi was good.

Best Film I saw on a big screen this year was Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm. Unbeiliveably brilliant. Lean at his peak, the absolute master.

Overhyped waste of film. Joint tie between Dunkirk and Baby Driver.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Jan 2018, 19:50

Fallen down the rabbit hole man. Shame like

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 03 Jan 2018, 20:47

I think I only went to the cinema four times this year. Dunkirk was the film of the year for me, then, with Blade Runner 2049 an impressive second.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was amusing but thin and forgettable and The Last Jedi was a bit of a BCB Cup list of a film.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Jan 2018, 21:13

German Dave wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Fallen down the rabbit hole man. Shame like

Which recent films of his have you seen?

Utopia. I think before that it was maybe Palestine is still the Issue. His documentaries on the Aborigines had an impact on me. I've read more than I've watched though because I'm not that interested in documentaries like his because I like to watch things for pleasure mostly.

From what I've read over the years I think he's unbalanced, in particular in regards to America and its role in the world. I think his hatred has left him with a personal bias which inevitably leads him to shallower waters when discussing world affairs.

That sensationalist trailer really doesn't convince me that the documentary rises above this sorta thing to be honest; a simplistic good versus bad narrative where America is, of course bad, and China are the good guys.

Anyway, I might watch Moonlight tonight..

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Jan 2018, 12:36

I’m not a huge Moore fan. He’s too loose with the truth at times and can fall into conspiratorial bullshit.

I did enjoy that last Adam Curtis documentary but I thought it was unfocused and messy at times too. I liked its narcotic wooziness as much as anything. At times it reminded me of Chris Morris’s Jam. I think I watched Century of the self as well but I'm not 100% on that.

The Aborigine ones resonated with me even more after visiting there. I remember seeing an Aborigine "family" exit a petrol station and the oldest woman (who was topless) was sniffing a petrol can. You get glimpses of it over there. It's desperately sad.

Anyway, Moonlight was great. For once the hype was justified.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Jan 2018, 12:48

Goat Boy wrote:I’m not a huge Moore fan. He’s too loose with the truth at times and can fall into conspiratorial bullshit.

I did enjoy that last Adam Curtis documentary but I thought it was unfocused and messy at times too. I liked its narcotic wooziness as much as anything. At times it reminded me of Chris Morris’s Jam. I think I watched Century of the self as well but I'm not 100% on that.

The Aborigine ones resonated with me even more after visiting there. I remember seeing an Aborigine "family" exit a petrol station and the oldest woman (who was topless) was sniffing a petrol can. You get glimpses of it over there. It's desperately sad.

Anyway, Moonlight was great. For once the hype was justified.

You should watch rabbitproof fence. It tough not to shed a tear at the scene were they're taking the kids away to live with a white family.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Jan 2018, 16:09

Still a handful of 2017 movies I want to watch before posting a list.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Jan 2018, 23:48

The Top Shelf:

Dunkirk (Nolan)

Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig)

Ingrid Goes West (Matt Spicer)

The Big Sick (Micheal Showalter)

Free Fire (Ben Wheatley)

Their Finest (Lone Scherfig)

Colossal (Nacho Vigalondo)

Your Name (Makoto Shinkai)

Darkest Hour (Joe Wright)

American Made (John Liman)

Get Out (Jordan Peele)

Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins)

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi)

Second Tier:

Star Wars, Episode VII

The Villainess

Blade Runner 2049

Logan

Kong: Skull Island

Disappointments:

John Wick 2

Atomic Blonde

Haven't seen yet:

The Shape of Water

(edited for some omissions)
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Screenadelica”