The Irishman

..and why not?
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

The Irishman

Postby naughty boy » 21 Dec 2017, 23:29

you excited?

did anyone actually watch Righteous Kill? :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: The Irishman

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 23:45

Excited? No -why would I be? De Niro stopped being interesting two decades ago.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Dec 2017, 23:46

Yes, I'm excited. No, never saw Righteous Kill. I'm always excited when Scorsese does a gangster film
Pacino is playing Jimmy Hoffa though, who died at 62. Pacino is currently 77. That's Hollywood for you. :lol:

And what's up with the shoes DeNiro's wearing in that picture? He's already taller than Al.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Dec 2017, 23:48

The Modernist wrote:Excited? No -why would I be? De Niro stopped being interesting two decades ago.

You mean right about the time he quit working with Scorcese? Anyway, he's been good since then. And Joe Pesci is going to be in this one too. Fingers crossed.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 21 Dec 2017, 23:48

The Modernist wrote:Excited? No -why would I be? De Niro stopped being interesting two decades ago.

I disagree.

And anyway, Scorsese's involved.

Matt Wilson wrote:Yes, I'm excited. No, never saw Righteous Kill. I'm always excited when Scorsese does a gangster film
Pacino is playing Jimmy Hoffa though, who died at 62. Pacino is currently 77. That's Hollywood for you. :lol:

And what's up with the shoes DeNiro's wearing in that picture? He's already taller than Al.

Maybe he needed to look MUCH taller!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 23:50

It'll just be treading over old ground. It's like seeing The Stones or something, old men trying to squeeze more money out of the past.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Dec 2017, 23:53

Ronin is pretty good and that came out in 1998. Silver Linings Playbook is 2012 (oscar nominated), and even though he was only in one scene, the excellent American Hustle was 2013. So DeNiro has done good work in the last 20 years. Pacino, on the other hand...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 21 Dec 2017, 23:59

Yeah, I just checked his filmography and was surprised to see how little there that's any good.

He was fun in Danny Collins but it was no masterpiece.

The Insider and Any Given Sunday - both from 1999 - get good reviews (I haven't seen either).

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Dec 2017, 00:09

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:Yeah, I just checked his filmography and was surprised to see how little there that's any good.

He was fun in Danny Collins but it was no masterpiece.

The Insider and Any Given Sunday - both from 1999 - get good reviews (I haven't seen either).

Oh, The Insider is really good - though it's Crowe's picture more than Pacino's. And Donnie Brasco from '97 is possibly the best performance he ever gave not to get a nomination. Check out Insomnia too (2002) if you haven't. I really haven't seen too much after that. He won an Emmy for the miniseries Angels in America in '03, but he sure hammed it up in that one.

You really can't be great forever and both of those guys have already given us so much.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 22 Dec 2017, 00:13

Absolutely.

Yeah, I liked Insomnia a lot. And I agree about Donnie Brasco - that's a great film.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Dec 2017, 00:20

I'm really surprised both of them are still working actually. I would've retired by now, like Nicholson or Hackman. I suspect that nothing is more addictive than fame though. And if you think you can still do it, then why not?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 00:50

So.....this isn't about me? :(
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Jan 2018, 00:12

Matt Wilson wrote:I'm really surprised both of them are still working actually. I would've retired by now, like Nicholson or Hackman. I suspect that nothing is more addictive than fame though. And if you think you can still do it, then why not?

I think they both can.

And I think this'll be the film to SHOW that.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Jan 2018, 00:39

Matt Wilson wrote:Ronin

Ugh. I liked it well enough when it was current, but I re-watched it recently and was distinctly unimpressed.

Agree with Modernist. These guys' sell-by date was decades ago (and it's nothing to do with their age; their stuff's been boring for as long as I can remember).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Jan 2018, 04:09

You're crazy, I'm watching it right now. The most European of DeNiro's quality films, and a late-career highlight for Frankenheimer.

Return to “Screenadelica”