Mindhunter

..and why not?
Fonz

Mindhunter

Postby Fonz » 06 Dec 2017, 17:07

American Netflix show about the birth of serial killer profiling; like a serious prequel to ‘Criminal Minds’.

The three leads are well-cast, and the plots are thick enough to elevate above the usual.

Anyone else watching?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

jimboo

Re: Mindhunter

Postby jimboo » 06 Dec 2017, 18:57

There was/is a smattering of patter on here about it somewhere. I have watched it all , I really liked it.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Dec 2017, 19:10

I've been on the fence. A friend says he wasn't won over. But you guys may be tipping me.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 06 Dec 2017, 19:53

It was good, but slow going, I thought. The characters were very well-acted, and steered away from the "clean-cut eager beaver" and "gruff wisecracking veteran" stereotypes they might initially seem, fleshed out and taken into unpredictable territory. Not sure what's going on with the professor and the cat outside the window though. That never seemed to coalesce.

The best parts are mainly the interviews with the killers, who are all very chillingly and effectively played by relative (or even total) unknowns. The period detail is done well, avoiding "look! it's the '70s!" overkill and just providing settled ambience. The look of the thing, all dull greys and blues and browns, is effective as well.

The plot, though, is a drawback as it just never really seems to kick into gear. They get their project, they talk to some more guys, help with a case or two... but nothing of much import until the rather overdone finale, I thought. I appreciate that Fincher wanted it to be low-key, that was well-handled, but when that comes at the expense of momentum then they need to work at it a bit more.

I'd say it was intriguing and promising rather than really good for the time being, but I'll gladly watch series two when it arrives.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 10 Dec 2017, 11:46

Loved it.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 10 Dec 2017, 22:11

I liked it without loving it. I loved Zodiac so I wanted to like it more.
Delighted to hear Albatross in a non car-ad context.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 23 Dec 2017, 04:44

PENK wrote:It was good, but slow going, I thought. The characters were very well-acted, and steered away from the "clean-cut eager beaver" and "gruff wisecracking veteran" stereotypes they might initially seem, fleshed out and taken into unpredictable territory. Not sure what's going on with the professor and the cat outside the window though. That never seemed to coalesce.

The best parts are mainly the interviews with the killers, who are all very chillingly and effectively played by relative (or even total) unknowns. The period detail is done well, avoiding "look! it's the '70s!" overkill and just providing settled ambience. The look of the thing, all dull greys and blues and browns, is effective as well.

The plot, though, is a drawback as it just never really seems to kick into gear. They get their project, they talk to some more guys, help with a case or two... but nothing of much import until the rather overdone finale, I thought. I appreciate that Fincher wanted it to be low-key, that was well-handled, but when that comes at the expense of momentum then they need to work at it a bit more.

I'd say it was intriguing and promising rather than really good for the time being, but I'll gladly watch series two when it arrives.

I'm really enjoying it. I like the fact that it doesn't go for a glib interview/case all wrapped up each episode feel but is more of a slow burning extended character piece. Although I do find the young preppy character a bit cartoony - overly naïve and gauche.

the period detail is lovely
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 02 Jan 2018, 22:35

I really enjoyed it although I have to admit - I was surprised when I realized we'd reached the end of the last episode. I guess it manages to avoid a lot of familiar cop show cliches including the one that says, make the last episide of the season a nail-biter!
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 03 Jan 2018, 00:55

bobzilla77 wrote:I really enjoyed it although I have to admit - I was surprised when I realized we'd reached the end of the last episode. I guess it manages to avoid a lot of familiar cop show cliches including the one that says, make the last episide of the season a nail-biter!

I thought that it was almost like it ran out of funding half way through a series, although I don't think it did. The Deuce was a bit like that as well, it just stopped without actually coming to a satisfying finish or leaving a big cliff hanger for the next season.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Jan 2020, 10:25

Just been watching this belatedly and agree with much of the above, having just finished season 1. I quite like the meandering pace, the lack of a focused plot - very unusual and sometimes disorienting. However, there are certain points where it really loses me almost completely. There's - to me - a laughably bad point in the wrap up of the Beverly Jean murder case where the DA refuses to fully prosecute all three murderers, and the mindhunter team are appalled, as if it is some travesty of justice. "what is the point of all this if we can't communicate it" etc. But really, what on earth had they actually done? They made some completely random conjunctures on how the murder transpired, with absolutely zero evidence...and we're meant to believe that the DA's refusal to go with anything other than where the evidence pointed to as some sort of negligence of duty!? It's clearly built up that the audience is meant to effectively be screaming at the screen "why can't you just see the bigger picture" and the DA just stubbornly refusing to think outside the box because the jury won't understand. But in my mind I was more "you guys are absolute idiots and DA is spot-on!"

Either way, I can't stand most of Fincher, but this isn't bad.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 23 Jan 2020, 13:43

I watched the first series and enjoyed it apart from the annoying girlfriend, but I lost interest in the second series after a couple of episodes.
I'm not sure why. I didn't hate it, I just couldn't be bothered to watch it any more and I can't remember anything that happened in the two episodes I watched.
Bugger off.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Jan 2020, 15:22

Rorschach wrote:I watched the first series and enjoyed it apart from the annoying girlfriend, but I lost interest in the second series after a couple of episodes.
I'm not sure why. I didn't hate it, I just couldn't be bothered to watch it any more and I can't remember anything that happened in the two episodes I watched.

:D the series is a bit like that...right now it suits my mood, but i think if i found something else that was better, or picked up a new book, I'd probably leave the series without looking back too much...
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 Jan 2020, 17:13

Really enjoyed it got fully engrossed in it. Wasn't sure to begin with but then it caught hold.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Jan 2020, 22:47

Rorschach wrote:I watched the first series and enjoyed it apart from the annoying girlfriend .

Oof! Spare room for you tonight when she reads this!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 27 Jan 2020, 08:02

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I watched the first series and enjoyed it apart from the annoying girlfriend .

Oof! Spare room for you tonight when she reads this!

Well, I think she'd blocked me, but now you've quoted it...
Bugger off.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2020, 10:07

Rorschach wrote:I watched the first series and enjoyed it apart from the annoying girlfriend

I do think in general they are not great at portraying the partners (and generally, female characters, with perhaps the exception of Wendy). Ford's girlfriend is a bit stereotyped, an obvious free-spirited counterpoint to Ford's up-tightness for season 1, while in season 2 they have a very similar dynamic between Wendy and Kay. It comes across as a bit forced and stilted, but even then the brutal dismissal of both of them doesn't really ring true to me. But also I find Tench's wife's portrayal as a bit simplistic and unreasonable/unrealistic.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Screenadelica”