Stunts

..and why not?
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Stunts

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Dec 2017, 22:16

I'm watching the bilge that is Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol.

It features a remarkable sequence on the Burj Khalifa - the world's highest skyscraper.

And all I can think is - meh.

I know CGI killed our wonder of stunts and special effects to a certain extent, but the octane rush of modern film making leaves me cold.

Best stunt ever - The car that flips over in the Man with the Golden Gun.

PresMuffley

Re: Stunts

Postby PresMuffley » 03 Dec 2017, 22:46

I've never been very impressed with car chase scenes. Even the so-called classics such as Bullitt often bore me. Recently I was re-watching that last Mad Max movie which is basically nothing but a car chase sequence extended to a full length film. Very dull.

For my money, the most masterfully made stunt sequence is the chariot race in Ben-Hur. The tension builds perfectly throughout and you can really feel the intensity of the event in your bones.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 03 Dec 2017, 23:40

Three words:

The French Connection
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Dec 2017, 23:55

This was the inspiration for Bullit and director Peter Yates was hired on the back of it.
Brit classic Robbery from 1967

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Dec 2017, 04:31

As long as we're going on a detour about car chases, can I recommend the one in The Seven-Ups??

It's one of the only ones I know that has actually continuity verisimilitude, in terms of locations. Compare with something like the NYC one in the latest installment of the Fast and Furious series, which is just total garbage.

I'll find a link tomorrow.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Dec 2017, 09:41

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:Three words:

The French Connection

Yeah pretty much. Even if it's just the fact that you can feel Hackman's breathlessness on that chase scene.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Dec 2017, 10:39

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Dec 2017, 11:48

Snarfyguy wrote:As long as we're going on a detour about car chases, can I recommend the one in The Seven-Ups??

It's one of the only ones I know that has actually continuity verisimilitude, in terms of locations. Compare with something like the NYC one in the latest installment of the Fast and Furious series, which is just total garbage.

I'll find a link tomorrow.

Yeah I think that might be the best one.

Return to “Screenadelica”