Peaky Blinders

..and why not?
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Peaky Blinders

Postby The Modernist » 30 Nov 2017, 23:53

I can't be the only one watching this surely?
The fourth series is very gripping so far.

jimboo

Re: Peaky Blinders

Postby jimboo » 01 Dec 2017, 14:02

Never seen a second of it , however , mrs Jimboo says it is our next box set binge.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Dec 2017, 14:14

My wife's binged on it for the last week or so. I've grown to like it, but I'm finding the current series with the Mafiaoso stretching credibility a little.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Dec 2017, 15:25

jimboo wrote:Never seen a second of it , however , mrs Jimboo says it is our next box set binge.

It'd be a good binge watch. Series 1 takes time to find its feet, but series 2 really is excellent.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Dec 2017, 15:29

Toby wrote:My wife's binged on it for the last week or so. I've grown to like it, but I'm finding the current series with the Mafiaoso stretching credibility a little.

In what way?

To be honest I don't expect too much realism from this series, after all they've gone from being a street gang to owning half the industrial wealth of The Midlands in under ten years. And yet we barely see anyone working!

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 04 Dec 2017, 19:17

Well , nearly finished series one , it's ok. I don't like the lead role much , so far he lacks summat. It has borrowed a lot from Sky's Boardwalk Empire , smart bro , dumb bro whisky and cigarettes abound. He isn't that smart either , the Irish mole hardly was the best at hiding the fact she was a wrong un.
I'll give it a little longer but it needs to improve.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 04 Dec 2017, 20:03

It doesn't.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2017, 12:05

Series 2 is where it comes into its own. I would give that a go definitely, unless you're not enjoying it at all.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 05 Dec 2017, 18:31

I'm on season2 now Moddie , so far it is getting a little more interesting.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 09:51

Last night's climactic episode was suitably gripping. I'm surprised it's not more popular on BCB as there does seem to be a lot of interest in it elsewhere.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 21 Dec 2017, 09:54

All in all , it was quite enjoyable.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Jan 2020, 10:16

We just wrapped it up with Season 5 after coming to the series (very) belatedly a few months ago. Don't quite know why we didn't watch it before as Cillian Murphy is one of my absolute favourite actors, and I do think he excels in this. And really the series depends almost entirely on him - and of course that would normally be the case with your lead, but that's particularly true here where some of the secondary characters really are very inconsistently drawn. And while I really enjoyed it - the setting, the music, and most of the storylines, I have a lot of gripes as well, some more serious than others (plenty of spoilers below):

- Grace's character really becomes problematic in Season 2/3. Her disappearance to the US and subsequent return is very odd, and creates too much of a distance with Tommy where their subsequent reunion, and Tommy's obsession with her after her death, becomes implausible. She basically served no role in Season 3 other than to wine and dine Tommy's new exclusive guests, and her death, while basically necessary, has zero impact on the viewer because she's become so meaningless.
- how many times does Tommy have to be betrayed byAlfie Solomons!? Just generally some of his plans are really quite inexplicable, like tryingto single-handedly kill the priest in the bathroom - and during his subsequent beating/cracking of the skullit's really unclear what has actually happened to him and the recovery takes about a minute.
- Some things are just very underdeveloped and/or fall very flat - like Michael's apparent abuse at the hands of the priest in his youthis firstly so convenient that it happens to be that priest but also just mentioned really in passing, and then suddenly becomes this passionate motivator for his personal involvment in the killing of the priest. Similarly, the whole police arrest of Tommy's family, and then all facing the gallows at the same time but last minute intervention - everything is done in a minute, but sets up the whole breakup of the family.
- While I really enjoyed Arthur in the early seasons, he becomes a bit of a caricature of himself, particularly in Season 5. Similarly, they really try to create this awesome (dare i say "bdass"?) character in Polly, but firstly i don't think the actress is strong enough to pull it off, and secondly i just think her studies cool becomes too much of a caricature towards the end. More importantly I also don't think her actions in the aftermath of Michael's "betrayal" very realistic - she firstly effectively sets her own son up for that betrayal, but also just seems perfectly fine with his punishment, despite spending the first few seasons fighting tooth and nail over him as family.
- They've never really developed the Ada character, which is a real shame as I think she's a good actress and a much better counterpoint to Tommy than for example Polly. Related, I thoughtkilling off her communist husband, who had a really interesting dynamic with Tommy, was a real shame, such an odd way to start the second season.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Screenadelica”