The films of Harmony Korine

..and why not?
PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 21 Nov 2017, 22:21

It had been a while since I thought about Harmony until recently when a caught an episode of Epicaly Later'd (skateboard show on Vice) in which he talks about how influential the Alien Workshop skate video Memory Screen has been to his work and, well, some other stuff... the point here is I had nearly forgotten he existed, which is odd to me because when I was a teen Kids was for a brief moment a very powerful movie.

I completely lost track of this guy's career after Gummo, which I only vaguely recall. Mostly just the feeling of it - like, a highly stylized sense of despair...

So, I'm looking at his filmography, do I REALLY need to see Trash Humpers? I dunno, man, seems like a 5 min sketch might suffice.

Anyone have any thoughts on Korine? His movies? Anything?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: The films of Harmony Korine

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Nov 2017, 22:28

Really liked Spring Breakers - totally different tone from his early work, but explores some of the same themes. Very entertaining (in a sleazy, exploitative way)!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 21 Nov 2017, 23:28

Would I be wrong in saying Spring Breakers is his attempt at a "mainstream" movie? That he's cloaking his subversive vision within the confines of a more conventional storyline?

Well, that's the impression I get reading about it and I'm definitely interested.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Nov 2017, 02:42

That would be correct, yes. : )
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

driftin

Postby driftin » 22 Nov 2017, 17:40

I love Gummo and quite like Spring Breakers. I never thought he was some genius pushing boundaries or anything, I just like those films. They're fascinating tone poems.

The guy's probably an arse though.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 22 Nov 2017, 18:36

Last night I Youtubed Kids. Hadn't seen it in 20 years. How my perception of that movie has changed over time!

The dialogue between Telly & Casper walking down the street after Telly screws the virgin at the beginning is such great writing and so natural - very true to the time. I found it impossible not to laugh, but now I was laughing at them, rather than with them.

There were no men and only one completely overwhelmed mother in this movie. These guys are essentially on their own, with friends as family, no real role models. How many young men are still attempting to navigate through life like this?

I have a lot more to say about this but I'm also in the middle of something else at the moment. Finding it difficult to be coherent. Later.....

Bookersup

Postby Bookersup » 04 Feb 2018, 19:42

At least 48, and probably more. Ive forgotten half the films Ive seen and my eyes went funny as I was going down the list.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 05 Feb 2018, 18:40

I think it's great when guys like that get "mainstreamed". I think the mainstream is invariably the winner in those cases - something new gets added one way or the other.

I found Gummo disturbing in a bad way. this could be skill or it could just be disturbing. I think he has an eye and a natural talent. I remember liking enough about that "donkey boy' movie to stick with it -- still pretty disturbing though.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Screenadelica”