Streaming sites

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Streaming sites

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Nov 2017, 15:26

I'm looking for more classic/art house/foreign stuff. Horror too.

The BFI one looks good. Any others?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Streaming sites

Postby The Modernist » 01 Nov 2017, 15:46

Goat Boy wrote:I'm looking for more classic/art house/foreign stuff. Horror too.

I'm looking for one myself so I'll be interested in the response.
I used to use stagevu, which had some good stuff, but that now seems to have gone.
I do sometimes find good films on youtube, although usually the visual quality leaves something to be desired.
Perhaps we can also use this thread for links to any good movies we find?

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 01 Nov 2017, 16:37

I don't watch TV but I do watch Netflix (and now Amazon :oops: ) but last week I cancelled my Netflix subscription as I've seen anything worth watching, there's a hell of a lot of crap on there. I'd be interested in what else is out there.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Nov 2017, 16:59

I used to use MUBI which focuses on classics, world and indie cinema. They changed the format though so now they just have a rolling list of 30 films - ie they replace one every day - and it’s not worth it for someone like me who has more limited viewing time and wants to be picky. If you’re open-minded, though, and like the idea of choosing from a selective list rather than having to scour pages of bollocks on Netflix, it’s definitely a good option.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Nov 2017, 17:00

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I'm looking for more classic/art house/foreign stuff. Horror too.

I'm looking for one myself so I'll be interested in the response.
I used to use stagevu, which had some good stuff, but that now seems to have gone.
I do sometimes find good films on youtube, although usually the visual quality leaves something to be desired.
Perhaps we can also use this thread for links to any good movies we find?

Filmstruck is excellent and is affiliated with the Criterion Collection. I've discovered lots of things on it in just a few months, and actually spend very little leisure time watching random things on TV, so the hit rate is really good. BUT, I doubt it's available in the UK.

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 01 Nov 2017, 17:03

I hear Mubi.com is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't used it myself.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Nov 2017, 17:53

Any free ones (I'm a tight git)

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 01 Nov 2017, 21:55

Yeah £6 a month's a bit much for 30 films (OK, in effect 60) most of which you don't want to see.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Nov 2017, 09:10

If you have an Apple TV I think you can use the US Hulu service in the UK with a bit of sly admin. I think they essentially have the entire Criterion collection available to view over there, which is somewhat galling.

Return to “Screenadelica”