Gunpowder

..and why not?
Insouciant Western People

Gunpowder

Postby Insouciant Western People » 24 Oct 2017, 14:44

New BBC mini series, starring Kit Harington of Game of Thrones fame.

We watched all three episodes last night, and I thought it was pretty good. The writers now and then played a little fast and loose with what's known of historical facts, but nothing that couldn't be excused by dramatic licence, and the feel for the period was generally well done.

If there was a main weak link, it was Harington himself. He's a one-dimensional actor, seemingly capable only of looking sad, haunted and wounded, with occasional forays into being a bit cross. He didn't convince me at all as Catesby. He's apparently a direct descendant of the man, and executive producer on the series, so I guess he was always going to play him.

I wasn't impressed by Mark Gatiss either, who turned in his usual (and by now rather tired) camply sinister schtick as Robert Cecil.

Those two aside, I thought it was a good cast. I'd have liked them to have made more of Guy Fawkes' role, he seemed a bit sidelined, which is a shame as Tom Cullen played him with a terrifically menacing presence.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Dr Markus

Re: Gunpowder

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Oct 2017, 14:50

It's getting a bit of stick for a woman being flattened?!?!?!?!?! :?

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41719440
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Postby Insouciant Western People » 24 Oct 2017, 14:59

Peine fort et dure, a form of punishment used on people who refused to plead either way, in order to avoid forfeiting their families' estates, wealth etc, in the event of them being found guilty. Very horrible.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Oct 2017, 15:01

Did they over do it, showing them............pressing her?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Oct 2017, 15:07

The Great Defector wrote:Did they over do it, showing them............pressing her?

No I didn't think so. It was a gruesome scene, but not excessive.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 24 Oct 2017, 15:17

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Did they over do it, showing them............pressing her?

No I didn't think so. It was a gruesome scene, but not excessive.

I commented on a Facebook thread that if anything, they were probably fairly circumspect with the gory scenes, considering what they were portraying. Corporal and capital punishment in Jacobean England was a horrific affair. The reality would have been worse, so much so that it doesn't bear thinking about.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 24 Oct 2017, 17:54

Only seen the first episode so far. I agree that Kit Harington has only one way of acting. I'm not sure Liv Tyler is altogether right, and I'm disappointed James I 's tongue was not too big for his mouth as I had always read it was, but apart from those points I enjoyed it!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Return to “Screenadelica”