Full Metal Jacket
21%
Apocalypse Now
79%

Total votes: 28

joels344

Re: Full Metal Jacket Vs Apocalypse Now

Postby joels344 » 26 Oct 2017, 00:26

Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite war films of all-time, while Full Metal Jacket is among my least favorite from Kubrick. I found aspects of FMJ to be rather tedious.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 26 Oct 2017, 03:32

Those are two of my favorite movies of all time so it's interesting you picked them.

(Edit: It didn't even occur to me when I wrote that that they were both about the Vietnam War.)

End of the day I think AN is the richer, and yes more mystical film, and better for it. Some of us naturally mystical beings, there's nothing wrong with that.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 26 Oct 2017, 03:35

Seeing AN at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood with full surround sound on a giant screen was a pretty miraculous experience. Although I admit I found it exhausting.... I wanted to take an intermission every so often and digest.

I watched FMJ repeatedly on VHS and still tape it if I see it's on cable. I have a few different DVDs of AN and will also watch that if it's on, likely getting sucked into the whole thing.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 16:15

I understand the preference for the Coppola film, but surprised that the Kubrick is taking such a beating. The 'the first half is better than the second half' point could also be levied at Clockwork Orange or Barry Lyndon. If you watch these films as much as I have, you stop complaining about what they aren't, and love them for what they are.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Oct 2017, 18:29

Matt Wilson wrote:I understand the preference for the Coppola film, but surprised that the Kubrick is taking such a beating.

And I'm surprised it's got six votes. Not that it's terrible, but I can't remember anything that stood out about it. If it were not by Kubrick it would be forgotten about today I think.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 19:14

But it so clearly is a Kubrick film, that to suggest that anyone else could've directed it is ludicrous.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 29 Oct 2017, 08:22

Love both films, but seeing as Apocalypse Now is in my top 20 of all time, I went with it...Nothing wrong with FMJ (And I'm not sure why everyone is knocking the second half...), I just found the acting a bit tighter in AN...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 29 Oct 2017, 09:45

Matt Wilson wrote:If you watch these films as much as I have, you stop complaining about what they aren't, and love them for what they are.

Think about what you're saying, Matt.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Oct 2017, 14:49

R. Swipe wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:If you watch these films as much as I have, you stop complaining about what they aren't, and love them for what they are.

Think about what you're saying, Matt.

I have, John.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 29 Oct 2017, 17:58

:)
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Return to “Screenadelica”