79%

Total votes: 28

Dr Markus

Full Metal Jacket Vs Apocalypse Now

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Oct 2017, 14:10

Full Metal Jacket

Vs

Apocalypse Now

Full metal jacket every time for me. I've never seen the exact attraction of Apocalypse Now. It like it's trying to turn the Vietnam war in to some mystical thing, than has different effects on people. It just doesn't work for me. Full metal jacket is just pure raw emotion and truth. The comedy in war is somehow found, and irrational bonds between soldiers and the effects of war just make it more watchable to me.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Full Metal Jacket Vs Apocalypse Now

Postby The Modernist » 23 Oct 2017, 17:04

No comparison. FMJ is Kubrick's dullest film, a tired lecture on the brutalising effects of war. AN is still a hell of a trip and an utterly unique experience.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Oct 2017, 17:05

The Great Defector wrote:I've never seen the exact attraction of Apocalypse Now. It like it's trying to turn the Vietnam war in to some mystical thing, than has different effects on people.

Apocalypse Now is about much, much more than simply the Vietnam war.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Oct 2017, 17:09

Same could be said about Full metal jacket.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Oct 2017, 17:14

Perhaps, but I was just responding to what you said about AN. To be honest it was a long time ago I saw FMJ and I don’t remember too much about it and should give it another watch. I don’t remember it having the power, beauty, depth or feel of AN though.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Oct 2017, 17:21

The Modernist wrote: FMJ is Kubrick's dullest film.

ahem.

Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Oct 2017, 17:27

The Modernist wrote:No comparison. FMJ is Kubrick's dullest film, a tired lecture on the brutalising effects of war. AN is still a hell of a trip and an utterly unique experience.

Really? Dullest?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Oct 2017, 17:33

Geezee wrote:

ahem.

I prefer that. It's a fascinating failure. FMJ is a fairly standard war film.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Oct 2017, 18:08

The Modernist wrote:
Geezee wrote:

ahem.

And actually I don't really know why I put that - just a bad joke i suppose - as I did quite like EWS at the time. It hasn't aged well in my head though, but i haven't actually seen it since it came out.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Oct 2017, 18:23

No, me neither. I have a feeling it'll be worse second time round!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Oct 2017, 18:57

The Modernist wrote:No comparison. FMJ is Kubrick's dullest film, a tired lecture on the brutalising effects of war. AN is still a hell of a trip and an utterly unique experience.

Ditto.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Oct 2017, 02:34

Apocalypse Now is the superior film, but shame on those who put down Full Metal Jacket. You should have gone all the way Markus, and included The Deer Hunter, Platoon and Born on the Fourth of July for the whole Vietnam enchilada.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Oct 2017, 09:05

FOR SHAME!!!!!!

I've always thought Full Metal Jacket was lesser Kubrick. The first half is great but then after that I'm not sure it really knows what to do, what it's trying to achieve. Joker ends up killing the sniper and completes his journey I guess and that's it?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Oct 2017, 11:41

Looks like we're on a losing battle here Stan. :(

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 24 Oct 2017, 18:26

I voted for FMJ as it has less Denis Hopper in it.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 24 Oct 2017, 20:05

sloopjohnc wrote:

Ditto.

Thritto

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 Oct 2017, 20:12

Geezee wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Geezee wrote:
ahem.

And actually I don't really know why I put that - just a bad joke i suppose - as I did quite like EWS at the time. It hasn't aged well in my head though, but i haven't actually seen it since it came out.

I thought ews was brilliant when it came out - a hilarious comedy.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Oct 2017, 21:27

Too bad Tom Cruise doesn't really seem to have a flair for comedy.

This would normally be one of those "I like them both and I won't choose between them" situations. But, since there is no Footy Option and I'm seeing a lot of people who don't like :"Full Metal Jacket" I'm voting for that.

I think it's brilliant but I'll ease myself into my defense by pretending to acknowledge it's shortcomings. Modine is a very reactive lead. it is clearly not set in Vietnam. the second half is not as compelling as the first. Okay, I'm going to pretend to concede all these points.

the reason I'm pretending is because I do NOT think these things keep the film from MEGA GORILLA 24 CARAT CLASSIC status. I'll even add a little bit of "too macho" dialogue just to sweeten the pot.

I love "apocalypse now" and always have. younger humans will have to take my word for it but this film has also long been discussed as a misfire. it didn't always enjoy the status it enjoys and deserves today. I think it's a singular film.

I think "Full Metal Jacket" is, like "Paths of Glory" really more of an "Anti-War Film" and it think it is very successful by this metric.

the first scene of the movie, we meet our main characters for the first time as their heads are being shaven. the last scene of the film, the soldiers are marching "in a world of shit" and singing "the mickey mouse club" song. This film, I reckon, is about how war treats men. these men are not individuals. we only know a couple of their given names for the duration of the movie. soldiers are not men - not individuals. I think this is a HELL of a thing to make a movie about and that it is a home run in that regard.

Now, back to those shortcomings. Modine is reactive because he knows what he's doing is wrong but he wants to become a soldier. the movie is not set in Vietnam because it is a Stanley Kubrick movie. it's probably just laziness on his part but it makes for a non reality that I think adds to the dreamlike state towards the end of the film. maybe the second half isn't as strong because two of the main characters are gone. I think the two halves of the film are very clever. part one: training to be a soldier - unplanned violence. part two: being a soldier (Joker is in many ways a journalist until the very end of the film) resulting in planned violence which is ALSO a surprise.

I think "Full Metal Jacket" while an Anti-War movie also functions, very nicely, as a Viet-Nam movie. the enemy wasn't what we expected it to be. hell, the WAR wasn't what we expected it to be. War is the enemy of humans. I love it.
uggy poopy doody.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Oct 2017, 21:51

The Modernist wrote:No, me neither. I have a feeling it'll be worse second time round!

Trust your instincts here.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 24 Oct 2017, 22:13

I'll take the total immersion of Apocalypse Now.

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Return to “Screenadelica”