21%
Apocalypse Now
79%

Total votes: 28

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Re: Full Metal Jacket Vs Apocalypse Now

Postby Belle Lettre » 24 Oct 2017, 22:13

I'll take the total immersion of Apocalypse Now.

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 26 Oct 2017, 00:26

Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite war films of all-time, while Full Metal Jacket is among my least favorite from Kubrick. I found aspects of FMJ to be rather tedious.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 26 Oct 2017, 03:32

Those are two of my favorite movies of all time so it's interesting you picked them.

(Edit: It didn't even occur to me when I wrote that that they were both about the Vietnam War.)

End of the day I think AN is the richer, and yes more mystical film, and better for it. Some of us naturally mystical beings, there's nothing wrong with that.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 26 Oct 2017, 03:35

Seeing AN at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood with full surround sound on a giant screen was a pretty miraculous experience. Although I admit I found it exhausting.... I wanted to take an intermission every so often and digest.

I watched FMJ repeatedly on VHS and still tape it if I see it's on cable. I have a few different DVDs of AN and will also watch that if it's on, likely getting sucked into the whole thing.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 16:15

I understand the preference for the Coppola film, but surprised that the Kubrick is taking such a beating. The 'the first half is better than the second half' point could also be levied at Clockwork Orange or Barry Lyndon. If you watch these films as much as I have, you stop complaining about what they aren't, and love them for what they are.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Oct 2017, 18:29

Matt Wilson wrote:I understand the preference for the Coppola film, but surprised that the Kubrick is taking such a beating.

And I'm surprised it's got six votes. Not that it's terrible, but I can't remember anything that stood out about it. If it were not by Kubrick it would be forgotten about today I think.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 19:14

But it so clearly is a Kubrick film, that to suggest that anyone else could've directed it is ludicrous.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 29 Oct 2017, 08:22

Love both films, but seeing as Apocalypse Now is in my top 20 of all time, I went with it...Nothing wrong with FMJ (And I'm not sure why everyone is knocking the second half...), I just found the acting a bit tighter in AN...

SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 29 Oct 2017, 09:45

Matt Wilson wrote:If you watch these films as much as I have, you stop complaining about what they aren't, and love them for what they are.

Think about what you're saying, Matt.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Oct 2017, 14:49

R. Swipe wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:If you watch these films as much as I have, you stop complaining about what they aren't, and love them for what they are.

Think about what you're saying, Matt.

I have, John.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 29 Oct 2017, 17:15

Belle Lettre wrote:I'll take the total immersion of Apocalypse Now.

Oh my God...this has been lodged in my mind for years but I couldn't remember where from. Thank you!!
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 29 Oct 2017, 17:58

:)
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.