Blade Runner 2049

..and why not?
User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33681
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Blade Runner 2049

Postby PENK » 29 Sep 2017, 19:21

The reviews are in, and they suggest it's not a turkey but actually rather good. Who's suddenly quite excited?
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 8388
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby WG Kaspar » 29 Sep 2017, 21:06

I might actually go to the cinema for the first time in ages for this.
I run out of talent

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15775
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby pcqgod » 29 Sep 2017, 22:02

Sounds hopeful, but how much of the buzz can be attributed to fanboyism and the 35-year wait for the sequel?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 14061
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby kewl klive » 29 Sep 2017, 22:23

Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.


Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily


User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 10047
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby Sneelock » 29 Sep 2017, 22:25

I'm reading upbeat things too but Riddle-Me-This Batman:
if it's a better than decent movie, why the hell couldn't they make a half-way decent preview???
Hmmmm?

I mean, sheesh, those previews make my eyes glaze over.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 492
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby driftin » 29 Sep 2017, 22:25

The first Blade Runner has been my favourite film ever since I saw it as a teenager two decades ago.

In the last few years Denis Villeneuve has quickly risen to become one of my favourite modern directors. I've not only liked every one of his films but utterly loved the majority of them.

Roger Deakins is a brilliant cinematographer whose work I adore.

Jóhann Jóhannsson is a musician I really like whose score for Arrival I could listen to all day even without the images.

Ryan Gosling is my man-crush.

With all of this combined I was very excited about Blade Runner 2049 for ages. Then the trailers came out. The images were brilliant but the dialogue, action-orientated tone, and editing wasn't. Then I heard that Jóhann Jóhannsson had been entirely replaced by Hans goddamn Zimmer and some other bloke entirely and that the run time was almost 3 hours long. I was massively disappointed and decided to put everything in the back of my mind and hope that it was just a poorly made trailer designed for the masses.

Then I saw the stellar reviews from actual film critics I admire and now I'm excited again. Goddamnit it.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33681
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby PENK » 29 Sep 2017, 22:29

Sneelock wrote:if it's a better than decent movie, why the hell couldn't they make a half-way decent preview???

driftin wrote:it was just a poorly made trailer designed for the masses.


By Jiminy I think he might have something!

Pretty common that the trailer doesn't really tell you anything about the actual film, these days. They have to sell these things to Americans.

Witness the issues with the new Daron Aronofsky film: feted by the critics as a work of visionary, allegorical art; sold to the masses as a shrieky horror and getting "F" reviews from exiting cinemagoers.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 10047
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby Sneelock » 29 Sep 2017, 22:33

Maybe the masses LIKE how it feels when the eyes glaze over? It's a theory.
I HOPE it's good. It wouldn't be the first time a good movie had a sucky preview.

Maybe, if I can work up a man-crush on Gosling, I might have a sporting chance.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 492
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby driftin » 29 Sep 2017, 23:22

Sneelock wrote:Maybe the masses LIKE how it feels when the eyes glaze over? It's a theory.
I HOPE it's good. It wouldn't be the first time a good movie had a sucky preview.

Maybe, if I can work up a man-crush on Gosling, I might have a sporting chance.

Just look at him. He's so dreamy... Image

Image

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 21541
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby never/ever » 29 Sep 2017, 23:49

Johan Johansson is not involved with the music anymore- Hans Zimmer is. That is a big disappointment. Vangelis' singular soundtrack was crucial in the build-up of the original movie. With Johansson I thought the producers had found something similar, now it is being replaced by another run-of-the-mill orchestral score.
I saw a clip of the movie during my company's conference. The dialogue in it was rather labored and it made the movie sound rather precocious. Not the best entry but it was only one snippet.
And I hate the hipster-choice of Ryan Gosling being the lead. Another one of those interchangeable Teflon actors.
Having said all that, with all my preconceptions I am looking forward to seeing it Wednesday. And I am most likely to be wrong.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6365
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby jimboo » 29 Sep 2017, 23:53

But Ford was the hipster choice back in the day wasn't he ?.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 21541
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby never/ever » 30 Sep 2017, 00:02

At least Ford had a bit of persona and grit about him. He could pull off the cynicism and gravitas of his character in a believable manner.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33681
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby PENK » 30 Sep 2017, 07:55

never/ever wrote:Johan Johansson is not involved with the music anymore- Hans Zimmer is. That is a big disappointment. Vangelis' singular soundtrack was crucial in the build-up of the original movie. With Johansson I thought the producers had found something similar, now it is being replaced by another run-of-the-mill orchestral score.
I saw a clip of the movie during my company's conference. The dialogue in it was rather labored and it made the movie sound rather precocious. Not the best entry but it was only one snippet.
And I hate the hipster-choice of Ryan Gosling being the lead. Another one of those interchangeable Teflon actors.
Having said all that, with all my preconceptions I am looking forward to seeing it Wednesday. And I am most likely to be wrong.


Like Snee said, the trailer was sucky but they often seem to choose the most expositional, lowest-common-denominator moments to put in trailers.
I read about the Johansson thing and felt uneasy too, but maybe they just didn't like what he turned in, or felt it didn't fit? Zimmer did good work on Dunkirk recently even if he's a bit blockbustery.
And Gosling... he's better than you make out and I think he has a bit of Ford's resignation and cynicism. He's done some interesting films, far from being a bland hunk figure.

I'm trying to be optimistic!
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30273
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Oct 2017, 14:40

Off to see it the morn.

I was disappointed by the trailer but the reviews have been pretty ecstatic.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16070
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby The Great Defector » 05 Oct 2017, 00:20

Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28358
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Oct 2017, 00:00

Well, Scott has always maintained that Dekkard is a replicant. Let's hope that gets sorted in this new one.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 492
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby driftin » 06 Oct 2017, 01:38

Matt Wilson wrote:Well, Scott has always maintained that Dekkard is a replicant. Let's hope that gets sorted in this new one.


Spoiler alert....









It doesn't get resolved. It just adds even more questions to the pot regarding that.

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 16720
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Oct 2017, 04:38

driftin wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Well, Scott has always maintained that Dekkard is a replicant. Let's hope that gets sorted in this new one.


Spoiler alert....









It doesn't get resolved. It just adds even more questions to the pot regarding that.


I came away from the movie with the feeling it was resolved.

I liked the film a lot. Exceeded my expectations, though my expectations were pretty low it must be said.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30273
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Oct 2017, 09:16

It's a 5 star experience. I'm not sure if it's a 5 star movie but I might have to watch it again just to see.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17467
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 06 Oct 2017, 10:22

WG Kaspar wrote:I might actually go to the cinema for the first time in ages for this.


Same here. After coming weekend. Surprisingly it plays in our local art house cinema (seen as one of the very best in Holland, qua everything), and not in a big bunker somewhere quite far out of town.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.