Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

..and why not?
User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20169
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Jeemo » 15 Sep 2017, 20:03

Bryan Singer made The Usual Suspects now makes X-Men movies.

The Wachowski brothers made Bound & The Matrix now make headlines in the media for nothing to do with films.

Richard Kelly made Donnie Dario then......

others?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33795
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby PENK » 15 Sep 2017, 20:07

There's a film I love called Kontroll, the debut film from a Hungarian director called Nimrod Antal. It's a very unusual, offbeat black comedy about ticket inspectors on the Budapest underground, which uses the setting brilliantly and has a great sense of mood and character.

Antal proceeded to go to Hollywood and make something called Armored, a Predator sequel and a documentary about Metallica.

Oh well.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Sep 2017, 22:43

William Friedkin and Peter Bogdanovich are my standard answers.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20169
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Jeemo » 15 Sep 2017, 23:23

Matt Wilson wrote:William Friedkin and Peter Bogdanovich are my standard answers.


good shouts.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Sep 2017, 23:34

When I watched Snatch again the other day I thought of Guy Ritchie. Not sure he was ever truly great to begin with and I haven't seen any of his films in years but he could probably fit the category as well.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20169
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Jeemo » 16 Sep 2017, 00:11

I thought of Ritchie as well, but he's just making the same film over and over again.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52128
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Sep 2017, 06:03

Peter Weir. Boy did he go off the boil.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26175
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Sep 2017, 06:08

PENK wrote:There's a film I love called Kontroll, the debut film from a Hungarian director called Nimrod Antal. It's a very unusual, offbeat black comedy about ticket inspectors on the Budapest underground, which uses the setting brilliantly and has a great sense of mood and character.

Antal proceeded to go to Hollywood and make something called Armored, a Predator sequel and a documentary about Metallica.

Oh well.


The Metallica doc was great, though.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4933
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby algroth » 16 Sep 2017, 06:32

For both Singer and the Wachowskis I prefer their X-Men and post-Matrix work respectively, actually. For the latter case in particular, Speed Racer is highly creative and heads and shoulders above anything they'd done til that point or since.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26175
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Sep 2017, 06:54

toomanyhatz wrote:
PENK wrote:There's a film I love called Kontroll, the debut film from a Hungarian director called Nimrod Antal. It's a very unusual, offbeat black comedy about ticket inspectors on the Budapest underground, which uses the setting brilliantly and has a great sense of mood and character.

Antal proceeded to go to Hollywood and make something called Armored, a Predator sequel and a documentary about Metallica.

Oh well.


The Metallica doc was great, though.


Actually, scratch that. He didn't do the one I was thinking of.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20169
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Jeemo » 16 Sep 2017, 07:50

algroth wrote:For both Singer and the Wachowskis I prefer their X-Men and post-Matrix work respectively, actually. For the latter case in particular, Speed Racer is highly creative and heads and shoulders above anything they'd done til that point or since.


Spèed Racer is headache inducing. All flash and nothing underneath.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 7072
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 16 Sep 2017, 09:06

Charles Laughton
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11335
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2017, 10:58

Clyde Gash wrote:Charles Laughton

Yep. That was the name I wanted to toss in.
Him and Brando
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11335
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2017, 10:59

If I really wanted to be pretentious, I'd put in von Stroheim, although that would basically be book larnin', not viewing
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 14226
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby kewl klive » 16 Sep 2017, 11:09

Laughton, Friedkin, Bodganovich - each provided humanity with unperishable art.

Fucking potential! Why does everything need a report card? Must do better!
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9644
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby The Modernist » 16 Sep 2017, 11:24

Some great shouts so far.

Donald Cammell of Performance fame seems an obvious example.
Also I'd add Mathieu Kassovitz who hasn't done anything of note since La Haine.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11335
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2017, 12:35

neville from norwich wrote:Fucking potential! Why does everything need a report card? Must do better!


Fair point. OK I got nothing
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 778
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby joels344 » 16 Sep 2017, 14:55

Bernardo Bertolucci. While he's directed some impressive films with great popularity i.e., Last Tango in Paris, and The Last Emperor, I feel The Conformist was his last and only masterpiece. That film showed much potential for him as a filmmaker. After that and some scattered success, he was sadly designated to making big budget flops, mediocre art films, one convoluted epic, and largely forgettable affairs. He could've been what followed for Italian cinema after Fellini and Antonioni, but that wasn't the case.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20169
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Jeemo » 16 Sep 2017, 17:59

The Modernist wrote:Some great shouts so far.

Donald Cammell of Performance fame seems an obvious example.
Also I'd add Mathieu Kassovitz who hasn't done anything of note since La Haine.



How much of Performance was down to Roeg, any idea?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Positive Passion
Posts: 254
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Positive Passion » 16 Sep 2017, 18:08

neville from norwich wrote:Laughton, Friedkin, Bodganovich - each provided humanity with unperishable art.

Fucking potential! Why does everything need a report card? Must do better!


Yes - surely Bogdanovich had done all he needed to with the last picture show.

Peter Weir was a good call.