Nay
100%
Yay
No votes

Total votes: 2

The Great Defector

The Ronnie Barker Talk

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Aug 2017, 13:30

BBC Comedy today announces that Ben Elton, multi award-winning comedian, novelist, playwright, film maker and creator of classic, world-renowned sitcoms including The Young Ones, Blackadder, The Thin Blue Line and Upstart Crow, will deliver the inaugural The Ronnie Barker Talk on BBC One.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/ronnie-barker-lecture

The writer, comedian and film-maker will deliver the inaugural Ronnie Barker Talk on BBC One, a lecture on a comedy theme that has been developed with the approval of Barker’s family.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/comic-ben-elton-honoured-to-give-first-ronnie-barker-talk-35642693.html

Is the whole idea pretentious or are just the people involved?
I'm not Elton's biggest fan but I can't deny he made some funny shows that defined British comedy. I am going to watch it, but I think I won't be able to make up my mind if it is a bit up its own arse or not.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Re: The Ronnie Barker Talk

Postby Rayge » 24 Aug 2017, 13:33

not necessarily a good idea, but I don't think pretentious is the right word
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Aug 2017, 14:46

Wouldn't he be better suited to a talk on abhorrent rock musicals?
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 25 Aug 2017, 23:36

I enjoyed that. Not sure I agreed with him, he was mixing the medium with the message, but he had a plan and it was quite nice to hear someone talk, from notes, punctuated with the odd clip, rather than some sort of talking heads clip show.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 28 Aug 2017, 13:10

Defending Mrs Brown's boys, that must have taken some balls. It wasn't as "up his own arse" as I thought it would be and found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Aug 2017, 17:45

The Great Defector wrote:Defending Mrs Brown's boys, that must have taken some balls

Must have taken serious drugs.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82