Lawrence of Arabia

..and why not?
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Lawrence of Arabia

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Aug 2017, 17:09

It's 20 years since I last saw this, but we went to see this yesterday afternoon in 70mm at our local artyhouse place.
The first time round I watched in on a small TV. It wasn't that I didn't believe that seeing it on a big screen could be a trip, I just didn't expect it to be SUCH a trip. One of the things I didn't remember at all from the first time I saw it was how funny it is. I have absolutely no memory of it being so funny. And I can't decide if I didn't find it funny then, or I find different things funny now.
Anyway, the most interesting Wiki snippet -Jose Ferrer who played the Turkish Bey asked for more money for his five mins than Peter O Toole for the whole film. However, o' Toole was so in awe of his acting that he thought it was worth it.

What I certainly didn't notice the first time round was how much o'Toole reminded me of Bowie during Man Who Fell to Earth / Low period. Hair, clothes everything. The opening scene with him tinkering on his motorbike could have been him, clothes, hair, even the way he moved.

What a fucking film eh.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Lawrence of Arabia

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Aug 2017, 17:18

I saw it on 35mm a few months ago. Totally blew me away. I think it's phenomenal.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Aug 2017, 17:20

Yes -if anything, I didn't think it was long enough. I was ready for a couple more hours!
There was a Dad with his two kids just along from us - they were about 6 or 7 years old. Their jaws dropped and never went back up. That was one of my favourite parts of the afternoon.
And in front of us was an couple, I would say late 70s early 80s. during certain scenes, they grabbed hands and squeezed and looked at each other - this film obviously meant a lot to them.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Aug 2017, 17:37

One of the great movies of all-time, and seeing it on as big of a screen as possible is the only way to view it.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Aug 2017, 17:40

Matt Wilson wrote:One of the great movies of all-time, and seeing it on as big of a screen as possible is the only way to view it.

Yes, for sure.

Dr Markus wrote:

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Aug 2017, 18:11

I think it very possibly inspired more Boomer era directors to take up film making than any other single film. O'Toole's face is certainly among the beautiful landscapes lovingly presented.

I think it's marvelous.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Aug 2017, 19:13

Well hell...I'm not going to be the one to kick sand on Lawrence of Arabia. It's clearly a masterpiece, both visually AND as a portrait of a specific kind of madness that sometimes alters history.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 26 Aug 2017, 06:26

I was surprised recently to learn that O'Toole never won an Oscar. He must have been nominated for one, but I don't remember.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Aug 2017, 15:40

He was nominated eight times, Loki - more than any other actor never to have won. They did give him one of those special lifetime honorary oscars though.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 26 Aug 2017, 18:07

Good. I have some problems with "the Ruling Class" & "the Stunt Man" but I think PO'T is as good as a movie actor can be in each of those. What a gifted actor.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 27 Aug 2017, 14:25

Sneelock wrote:Good. I have some problems with "the Ruling Class" & "the Stunt Man" but I think PO'T is as good as a movie actor can be in each of those. What a gifted actor.

The Stuntman is great! Abs fab! Great performance by the man! Love it!
And "My Favorite Year"
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!