Game of Thrones - series/season 7

..and why not?

Game of Thrones - series/season 7

Postby ... » 17 Jul 2017, 08:39

Anyone catch the early morning broadcast of the first episode of the penultimate series earlier today?

While normally save shows up to binge, GOT is unique in that I not only watch it episode by episode, but then all in a big gulp at the end. Still have problems keeping track with all the characters though.

If you feel like talking major plot developments, don't forget to use the spoiler button!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Game of Thrones - series/season 7

Postby Penk! » 18 Jul 2017, 09:19

Pretty standard fare in the opening episode I thought. Reminders of where everyone was up to, and setting things in motion for the assorted clashes to come.

A good scene suggesting a developing power struggle between Jon and Sansa, and Sam had his best bit for about the last three series with the montage scene. If Tormund is off to the Wall, will he make his move on Brienne first, or even take her with him?

The Sheeran cameo was a bit of a cringe although I liked the undertones in the scene: the way Arya is these days, she could well have sat there sharing the blokes' food and listening to them talk about their families, and next week we'll see that she's knifed them all in their sleep.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Jul 2017, 09:48

PENK wrote:Pretty standard fare in the opening episode I thought. Reminders of where everyone was up to, and setting things in motion for the assorted clashes to come.

A good scene suggesting a developing power struggle between Jon and Sansa, and Sam had his best bit for about the last three series with the montage scene. If Tormund is off to the Wall, will he make his move on Brienne first, or even take her with him?

The Sheeran cameo was a bit of a cringe although I liked the undertones in the scene: the way Arya is these days, she could well have sat there sharing the blokes' food and listening to them talk about their families, and next week we'll see that she's knifed them all in their sleep.

I have to say - when I first heard the singing, i thought "whoever is singing, that's actually a very nice voice" - I had no idea Sheeran was appearing so it caught me by complete surprise. I don't know if it's actually Sheeran singing (I'm assuming it must be but I can't say I recognised the voice)...either way his main line "it's a new one" or whatever it was is horrific - completely jarring, makes it sound like a pop culture reference in a series where there is no place for anything like that. I think if they'd cut that out it would've been fine - generally his actual shaggy ginger appearance otherwise vaguely lends itself it GoT - and as you say the scene itself is otherwise very good.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Jul 2017, 10:07

Sheeran's two friends (the ones with speaking parts), incidentally, were Thomas Turgoose from This Is England and Pete Postlethwaite's son.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 18 Jul 2017, 10:41

Watched it last night -- a strong start, the first few episodes are always the less glamorous foundations.

The only thing that continually annoys me are deaths by fantastic coincidence - this time Arya managing to poison dozens of soldiers with little effort or doubt that it wouldn't work -- they all accept the odd circumstance, they'll all drink the wine, they'll all die at the same time...job done

Agreed aswell that the Sheeran cameo was too clumpy. If you didn't know who he was you'd still know he must be somebody, just from the bad acting and him lingering too long in the frame. Less of that lads.

Apart from that, superb. The landscapes, sets, complimentary CG, superb intrigue and acting...well done

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Jul 2017, 10:47

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Apart from that, superb. The landscapes, sets, complimentary CG, superb intrigue and acting...well done

Agreed - some fantastic scenes, and what I always find fascinating is there ability to only give a character 1-2 minutes of screentime, but it still feels enough - yes, it's hard to keep track of everyone, yes it's at times bewildering, but I rarely feel short-changed that we're not getting enough character development. Agree with Penk that the Jon/Sansa friction was both very interesting but also beautifully handled - very believable, very in-line with their characters and experiences, and they are both, in their own way, right.

That dark cloud gradually appearing to then zoom up to the giant was magnificent, nearly got a hard-on.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Jul 2017, 13:06

Geezee wrote:That dark cloud gradually appearing to then zoom up to the giant was magnificent, nearly got a hard-on.

Yeah, definitely one for the "latest crush" thread.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Jul 2017, 08:11

Good episode this week. Nothing like a fiery pirate battle, is there? I feel for Theon: what could he have done, really? I suppose he could sneak back onboard and knife Euron and his men in their sleep or something...

Some corny-cheesy stuff with Grey Worm and Missandei, and Euron gnawing on great chunks of scenery.

Sam and Jorah could be the new Jamie and Bronn/Brienne and Pod buddy pairing we're waiting for. That cut from the operation to the pie, though...

Loved the look on Littlefinger's face when Jon said he was leaving Sansa in charge.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 26 Jul 2017, 12:22

You'd think Qyburn would have come up with something a bit more dramatic than a ballista to fight dragons.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 26 Jul 2017, 14:52

PENK wrote: I feel for Theon: what could he have done, really?

I think he was tactical rather than cowardly. He couldn't have got to Yuron without the sister getting knifed first. So the best decision was to sacrifice himself to save her. But if Yuron just presumed that Theon would drown in the water full of flotsam then he's thick and deserves to die.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Jul 2017, 17:54

Completely missed the first episode while on the road last week.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 27 Jul 2017, 16:27

I had to watch episode one in Spanish. Not my preference, 'cause the voices are all wrong and some of the more colorful turns of phrase don't translate well, but...oh well. I was expecting more bloodshed right off the bat.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Jul 2017, 18:38

just caught up with episode 2. I was busy all week. I'll get episode 3 in as soon as I can.
SPOILER WARNING!!!!
Okay, I think these shows have really changed the way I watch TV. I noticed because this week I did it twice. I got caught up with Orphan Black then went online to read "recaps" - Same with GOT. there are many recaps to choose from in the online version of newspapers so, obviously I'm not alone in my need to straighten out the finer points of what I just watched.

Therefore, I think spoilers are to be expected when talking about this stuff. false alarm, I don't think I'll talk about the plot, I'm just anxious to get caught up. they are doing a wonderful job of bringing characters into eachother's orbits. very entertaining.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Jul 2017, 18:39

SPOILER HO!!

I just remembered what I came here to post about. that scene with the wolf! fantastic!
uggy poopy doody.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 01 Aug 2017, 07:05

So. Farewell then, Queen of Thorns. A magnificent exit.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 01 Aug 2017, 08:43

Belle Lettre wrote:So. Farewell then, Queen of Thorns. A magnificent exit.

One of the best, and she'll be missed...the Queen of snidey remarks

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Aug 2017, 21:47

Yeah: I don't know if she goes down as a "major character death" - assume there will be some in the coming weeks - but she was always one of the most enhoyable supporting players.

Good episode overall. Well-paced and properly focused scenes, with a few cracking lines: "I looked at the book and read the instructions".

It does suffer a bit from time distortion: journeys that take one group of characters months seem to take another group a few hours depending on what best jollies the plot along.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Aug 2017, 23:40

oh man, I found out about who died before I watched it. not from this thread just from hanging around on street corners on the internet.
that'll teach me.

shit, now that I think about it, how many characters die and don't stay dead? you never know.
uggy poopy doody.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Aug 2017, 15:15

Best episode for a while.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Aug 2017, 15:16

How long is there left of GOT? 1 season? 2?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Screenadelica”