The Handmaid’s Tale

..and why not?
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: The Handmaid’s Tale

Postby Toby » 29 May 2018, 15:35

I must be one of the only people who finds it dreadfully dull.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 25 Jun 2018, 10:07

That was an astonishing and revealing episode last night and it concluded with the perfect choice of music -

Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 10 Aug 2018, 13:55

Toby wrote:I must be one of the only people who finds it dreadfully dull.

I'm not sure dull is the right word for me, but I certainly get impatient and/or frustrated with it sometimes. So many lingering close-up shots of June going crazy, or of Nick standing by his car washing the windows looking sad and/or conflicted (Minghella Jr does not seem to be the best of actors I'm afraid - and looks like a baby which jars with the incredibly senior/critical position he holds), or of the Commander staring sweetly but menacingly...and perhaps what's been getting more and more on my nerves are all the long shots of Serena Joy's increasing disillusionment. It has the effect of trying to build up sympathy for the character - so frustrated by knitting and gardening, and of course even more so after the punishment she received from her husband. This makes zero sense to me - she was one of the leading figures in a brutal civil war and countless massacres in the name of her faith, but now, after hundreds of thousands of executions, having achieved everything she ever hoped for, she's suddenly a bit bored and doesn't like Gilead anymore? And we're supposed to in any way have sympathy for that!? Of course there's the whole "be careful what you wished for" thing - but this is one 100% evil person, and they are spending an awful lot of time trying to humanise someone who is, or should be, irredeemable.

As with most series I also find a few inconsistencies pretty jarring - notably when June disappears and it must surely be obvious to anyone with half a brain that it must be Nick who enabled it (considering the fact that he's the father of June's baby was at least known by Serena)...and yet instead of following/targeting him and finding June on Day 1, they have to wait several months. Also, June has escaped twice and done all sorts of crazy stuff, and yet has barely been punished - OK for the second time she was pregnant but surely as soon as the child is born it should be clear that she will be executed or sent to the colonies - instead at worst it seems they are just planning tomove her to a different family. what is up with that?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

caramba

Postby caramba » 10 Aug 2018, 17:27

Loved season one of HT and thought it ended perfectly.

Haven't bothered to watch season two of HT and from the early reviews I've read,
I can't really see me doing so.

From what I do know about S2, it sounds like it's going the same way as Homeland in that S1 was
a perfect self-contained whole that they then dragged out for as long as possible.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 10 Aug 2018, 17:59

It's perhaps a bit more inconsistent than S1, but I find some of the episodes are more gripping than anything from S1. The last episode I saw - Last Ceremony - is pretty jaw-dropping. But yeah there are some which divert a bit too much from the core storyline, or don't really add very much to the backstory.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 10 Aug 2018, 19:26

It's definitely nowhere near as good as the first series. It's slow, but not in an intelligent way. I'm moderately enjoying it, but it is very frustrating and so, despite the horrors that the handmaids endure on a daily basis, I'm finding it hard to care. Perhaps it needs more slow scenes of Offred (June) staring at the camera.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 15 Aug 2018, 10:03

Well, the finale certainly had a couple of surprise moments. I'm just not sure it all hangs together really anymore. There are too many people who are core to the creation of Gilead who are helping the resistance, or the writers are dwelling too much on the internal conflicts that these zealots are experiencing. I've already mentioned my qualms about how they depict Serena Joy, and they continue here - I mean what did she expect would happen by reading in front of the commanders? And why on earth does June in any way care, or feel even more disillusioned, by the fact that Serena Joy gets mutilated? I guess one can start characterising it as Stockholm Syndrome - certainly of course the final scene makes you wonder about that - but I don't think that is accurate here, because her decision to stay is clearly not driven by any perverted love she feels for her captors, but rather by her focus on saving Hanna. Although it makes zero sense to me that she wants to call her daughter Nichole - that does actually perhaps showcase some signs of Stockholm Syndrome. To me it appears that the writers want us to believe that June genuinely cares for Serena- both in terms of the separation scene, recognising that Serena genuinely "loves" Holly (how on earth can a monster like that love anyone is beyond me?) but then also in terms of naming the child after her. Separately, I quite liked the character of Joseph as this quite oddball member of the Gilead elite - but firstly, it's incredibly convenient that the murder (attempt?) on Aunt Lydiahappens just a few hours before Emily is whisked away for an escape (unless the escape was prompted by the stabbing, which I suppose could be true), and secondly, I don't really believe that a commander would somehow be part of a resistance movement and help whisk away someone - and since he's such an oddball surely he would immediately be placed under suspicion. After all, he's meant to be the whole economic architect of the whole of Gilead, including setting up the Colonies. This is not a man with a heart. I can imagine certain leaders doing a Rudolf Hess, but not actually actively helping people flee. Increasingly like the character of Emily though. She's more and more the heart of this series I find. Nick can go fck himself. I find June's professed love of Nick to be quite jarring because the way they are writing it, it appears to be genuine, rather than a function of the situation she finds herself in, which to me would be fairly believable.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 15 Aug 2018, 13:29

Spot on. I agree with all of that. Frustratingly, I think it reached its 'jump the shark' moment at the end.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.