Annie Hall

..and why not?
Charlie O.

Re: Annie Hall

Postby Charlie O. » 21 May 2017, 01:56

I saw it I don't know how many times in the '70s/early '80s (when I was a teenager) - it was one of my favorite movies.

The last time I saw it - maybe ten years or so ago - Alvy Singer struck me as such a selfish, arrogant shit that it kind of ruined the movie for me, despite very clever storytelling and some undeniably hilarious scenes/lines.

I've been thinking lately that maybe I should give it another go, see what I make of it now.

(I wonder what Diane Keaton would think if she watched it now! I wonder if she has seen it since 1977.)

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 May 2017, 07:35

Yeah, that put me off it too. He's an irritating wise-cracking smart-arse.

I like the film but there's probably a half-dozen I prefer by WA.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 May 2017, 15:57

I saw it again last week. First time in years.

It's his best for sure (only Crimes and Misdemeanors rivals it). From a narrative storytelling perspective, he's never even come close to matching it again. He opens it by breaking the fourth wall. He's got an animated sequence. He uses subtitles. There are moments of magic realism. The film just throws in the kitchen sink...but the tone never falters. On this level alone, it justifies any and all hyperbole.

I agree that Alvy Singer is an unpleasant character. I think some of that was on purpose (a confession of sorts about who was responsible for the breakup) - but it's easy to see in hindsight that some of it is down to Allen's general unpleasantness.

But so what?

Unpleasant people have lives too. They fall in love. They fall out of love. I can't fault a film for not idealizing it's protagonists.

The script is genuinely funny throughout, but there's some heartbreaking insights along the way. The twin scenes with the lobster in particular have always landed hard on me. So what more can you ask of a romantic comedy?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2017, 17:16

It's a classic - and as good as anything else he did. There's a tendency here at BCB to always put things down so people can feel superior. The usual suspects apply, but it's something we all do, really. "Oh, that's not really so good, you know." And then list some small faults as if that brings down the entire endeavor. There's great things in life besides David fucking Bowie, you guys... :lol:

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 May 2017, 17:54

Matt Wilson, ladies and gentlemen....
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 May 2017, 18:54

Matt Wilson wrote:It's a classic - and as good as anything else he did. There's a tendency here at BCB to always put things down so people can feel superior. The usual suspects apply, but it's something we all do, really. "Oh, that's not really so good, you know." And then list some small faults as if that brings down the entire endeavor. There's great things in life besides David fucking Bowie, you guys... :lol:

who are the usual suspects?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 May 2017, 00:03

Well, one of them posted right above you...

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 May 2017, 05:17

I liked it better when this thread was about Annie Hall.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 May 2017, 06:32

:D

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 May 2017, 20:46

This makes me laugh.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 May 2017, 21:58

Woody's character in 'Manhattan' is far more repulsive.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 May 2017, 23:07

K wrote:Watching for the first time in a few years, it's so much better than I remember. Brilliant. Really funny and so different. Would it be made today?

That's my favorite scene. "I used to be a heroin addict, now I'm a methadone addict."
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Screenadelica”