Roseanne

..and why not?
Charlie O.

Re: Roseanne

Postby Charlie O. » 30 May 2018, 00:35

sneelock wrote:Wanda Sykes was in the writer's room for the new season. not anymore.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/r ... index.html
the fictional Roseanne Connor has a black grandchild. I hope the real Roseanne doesn't because she seems to like tweeting racist crap.

I'm slightly stunned to learn that Wanda Sykes was involved with this on any level. I can only suppose that she, like some of Trump's since-departed cabinet, believed she could help somehow.

Rayge wrote:How many of those now bleating about the first amendment support the right of footballers and others to take the knee during the national dirge?
Snarfyguy wrote:Keep in mind this isn't a First Amendment issue anyway.

The first amendment does not guarantee every American their own TV show.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 May 2018, 06:43

Whenever a right wing blowhard causes an uproar for saying something racist or insensitive they “play the free speech card”

They really seem to think that free speech means they say whatever they want while everyone else has a nice, hot cup of shut the fuck up
Last edited by Sneelock on 30 May 2018, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 30 May 2018, 06:56

I mean...she just made a joke. It’s not like she took a knee.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 May 2018, 13:17

Trump's campaign to win over black voters was pretty effective. I kind of believed it. I'm not saying he'll solve America's racial issues but he may stumble into something good - but that's not likely. Maybe it's a thing. With characters like Farrakhan and Kanye West now in his camp, why not Sykes or any other disaffected (probably rich) black person.
Question authority.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 May 2018, 15:43

Jimbo wrote:Trump's campaign to win over black voters was pretty effective. I kind of believed it. I'm not saying he'll solve America's racial issues but he may stumble into something good - but that's not likely. Maybe it's a thing. With characters like Farrakhan and Kanye West now in his camp, why not Sykes or any other disaffected (probably rich) black person.

You aren’t making sense, Jimbo.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 May 2018, 16:04

Jimbo wrote:With characters like Farrakhan and Kanye West now in his camp, why not Sykes

From March of last year:

Any questions?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 30 May 2018, 19:34

LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Trump's campaign to win over black voters was pretty effective. I kind of believed it. I'm not saying he'll solve America's racial issues but he may stumble into something good - but that's not likely. Maybe it's a thing. With characters like Farrakhan and Kanye West now in his camp, why not Sykes or any other disaffected (probably rich) black person.

@
mbien

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 May 2018, 20:01

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
LeBaron wrote:

@
mbien

:lol:
Question authority.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 May 2018, 21:25

A friend of mine described using @mbien himself as 'bypassing consciousness, and coming from your own mind, you won’t even remember any of it the next morning. The bad news for Barr is that those subconscious thoughts are also more in line with what you REALLY think, how you REALLY feel, unfiltered with no social buffer. We call it “truth serum” for that reason.'
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 May 2018, 23:59

it seems like a shame that a thread started in Screenadelica about a popular returning sitcom should turn into current events.
it's also a shame that REAL current events (like that jaw dropping ICE scandal) are being sidelined by a TV star.

still, here we are. it's funny how things work out. I thought this article in the Nation was worth a read before moving on from the whole mess.

https://www.thenation.com/article/rosea ... e-problem/
Barr may have wanted to use a fictional version of herself to prove that white people who love Donald Trump—people like her, in short—are not racists who traffic in ludicrous conspiracy theories and detest anyone who isn’t like them. She failed because that is exactly what she is.

I think the writer makes some really good points. I think it might be lucky that she couldn't help but shoot her mouth off. the show was a good show. it was well written and performed. it was also, despite whatever the producers intentions may have been, pretty much straight up propaganda.

Imagine the pop culture influence of the Conners being tolerant week after week to issues where real TRUMP supporters are intolerant. the writer seems to think someone else will come along and take up the slack. God, I hope not.

I remember a teacher in high school showing the class Mao era propaganda posters of happy fat well fed Chinese children and then pictures of Chinese children taken by photo-journalists. I think maybe ABC was doing something like those posters.
This is the most charitable interpretation of the thought process that led ABC executives to approve the show, despite what Barr had revealed herself to be in recent years. They set out to create idealized characters representing the reality we’d like to see.

It worked briefly. The show was lauded initially for being “incredibly honest” about who Trump voters are. Conservatives loved the ratings success of a show they saw as a rebuke of leftist Hollywood.

watching President Trump wave his arms at that "rally" in Nashville last night had a weird effect on me. on one hand, it's like listening to a stuck record. Mexico is going to pay for the wall. we are going to repeal and replace Obama care. I look at the faces in the crowd and these aren't really being treated like "greatest hits". If he had called any one of them on their phone to talk like this they'd tell him there was someone at the door.

then TRUMP is conflating MS-13 and Mexicans and t's scarier than it's ever been. "what are they?" he asks the crowd and they start chanting "ANIMALS!!". :o Sneelock, that can't be true. The lovable Trump loving Conners would never do such a thing!

America's Favorite Trump Loving Family is a bullet I'm glad to dodge for the time being.
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 May 2018, 01:39

As well you should. Fuck Republicans. Fuck 'em long, fuck 'em hard.

And then hang 'em out to dry.

We're all better off.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 May 2018, 12:24

Are you geting a little excited there, Matthew?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 May 2018, 15:37

never/ever wrote:A friend of mine described using @mbien himself as 'bypassing consciousness, and coming from your own mind, you won’t even remember any of it the next morning. The bad news for Barr is that those subconscious thoughts are also more in line with what you REALLY think, how you REALLY feel, unfiltered with no social buffer. We call it “truth serum” for that reason.'

I don't buy that. We ALL have some seriously sick shit rumbling around in our subconscious and unconscious; I'd like to think that "who we really are" has more to do with how we manage/control that dark stuff than with the dark stuff itself.

That said, Roseanne isn't doing a very good job of controlling/managing her dark stuff. I doubt that that "Hitler baking Jewish gingerbread men" photo was an @mbien tweet.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 31 May 2018, 22:59

Charlie O. wrote:
never/ever wrote:A friend of mine described using @mbien himself as 'bypassing consciousness, and coming from your own mind, you won’t even remember any of it the next morning. The bad news for Barr is that those subconscious thoughts are also more in line with what you REALLY think, how you REALLY feel, unfiltered with no social buffer. We call it “truth serum” for that reason.'

I don't buy that. We ALL have some seriously sick shit rumbling around in our subconscious and unconscious; I'd like to think that "who we really are" has more to do with how we manage/control that dark stuff than with the dark stuff itself.

That said, Roseanne isn't doing a very good job of controlling/managing her dark stuff. I doubt that that "Hitler baking Jewish gingerbread men" photo was an @mbien tweet.

No disrespect mate but have you ever used this?

I've known this friend for a long time, he has had a history of mental breakdowns and a long list of medication he has used in the past. He has talked about how his conscious and subconscious got blurred at various stages of his drug-use, leading to him fearing being schizophrenic (he wasn't).

I have no doubt that there are drugs that have the potential to down psychological barriers- I remember that there are several anaesthetic substances that have psychotropic side-effects that may include the ones listed for @mbien.

I find it easy to lambast Roseanne foR blaming a drug as it seems to be the cheap way out and she is a bitch. But I have no first hand experience with drugs and cannot be sure if it couldn't have been a factor. The use of Twitter has a premeditated feel about it so I think she is playing the blame game for sure.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Jun 2018, 00:04

never/ever wrote:No disrespect mate but have you ever used this?

No offense taken, and no, I haven't. :)

never/ever wrote:I have no doubt that there are drugs that have the potential to down psychological barriers-

Oh, I'm certain of it! What I'm suggesting is that those psychological barriers are a part of what makes you you, just as the things they're blocking are.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Jun 2018, 05:36

Return to “Screenadelica”