Good movies about medieval times

..and why not?
User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59206
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Good movies about medieval times

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 May 2017, 17:57

My 14 year-old likes movies that happen in medieval times. We've seen a few but wanted recommendations if you have them. Here are the ones we've seen.

Name of the Rose
Ladyhawke
A Knight's Tale
Excalibur
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15610
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby The Great Defector » 15 May 2017, 18:02

Carry On Henry
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15525
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby pcqgod » 15 May 2017, 20:06

Historical-based:

Beckett
The Lion in Winter
El Cid
The Messenger

Non-historical based:

Army of Darkness
Dragonslayer
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 3428
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 May 2017, 09:40

The Seventh Seal

It's probably slightly less funny than Monty Python and the Holy grail though.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20008
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Jeemo » 16 May 2017, 10:42

The Adventures of Robin Hood
A Man for All Seasons
The Duellists
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9468
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Samoan » 16 May 2017, 11:29

I like First Knight.

Image
^^^^^ great post. Thank you. wrote: You know that fairy tale The Secret Garden? Not the porn one the actual book for youngsters. When I listen to Eye I feel like what the girl saw when she was through the door.

User avatar
fire and fueryIre
Posts: 8749
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: Accredited BCB Pain in the Arse

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby fire and fueryIre » 16 May 2017, 12:00

Jeemo wrote:
The Duellists


Set in the early 1800s so several hundred years from bing medieval
Image

User avatar
neville from norwich
cultural defective
Posts: 13644
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: carrot-munching towards woke-ness

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby neville from norwich » 16 May 2017, 12:23

Ah, Bing Medieval. Who could forget his Xmas classic Gaudete?
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote:I am bald. I have one friend.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20008
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Jeemo » 16 May 2017, 12:24

fueryIre wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
The Duellists


Set in the early 1800s so several hundred years from bing medieval


if you're going to point out mistakes. Check your spelling first. Just saying.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29563
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Goat Boy » 16 May 2017, 12:28

Andrei Rublev
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21658
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Toby » 16 May 2017, 12:46

Valley of the Bees

User avatar
neville from norwich
cultural defective
Posts: 13644
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: carrot-munching towards woke-ness

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby neville from norwich » 16 May 2017, 12:49

Hard to be a God.
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote:I am bald. I have one friend.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10629
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Rayge » 16 May 2017, 13:28

Got my boring head on here, but as far as most historians are concerned, 'mediaeval times' – or, less redundantly, the Middle Ages – lasted from the fall of Rome in the 5th century to the fall of Constantinople to the Turks in the 15th century, so any movies about Saxons, Vikings, Crusades, Arthurian legend, 'the age of chivalry', Wiliam Wallace, the Wars of the Roses (at a pinch) etc. count, but the Tudors don't, so Carry on Henry is out as well. Soz

As for mediaeval movies, Orson Welles' Macbeth and Chimes at Midnight, and Kurosawa's Throne of Blood were pretty nifty, as I recall.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59206
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2017, 16:30

pcqgod wrote:Historical-based:

Beckett
The Lion in Winter
El Cid
The Messenger

Non-historical based:

Army of Darkness
Dragonslayer
Monty Python and the Holy Grail


I've seen Dragonslayer, that's good. I said A Man for All Seasons, but that might be a bit much.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59206
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2017, 16:30

Rayge wrote:Got my boring head on here, but as far as most historians are concerned, 'mediaeval times' – or, less redundantly, the Middle Ages – lasted from the fall of Rome in the 5th century to the fall of Constantinople to the Turks in the 15th century, so any movies about Saxons, Vikings, Crusades, Arthurian legend, 'the age of chivalry', Wiliam Wallace, the Wars of the Roses (at a pinch) etc. count, but the Tudors don't, so Carry on Henry is out as well. Soz

As for mediaeval movies, Orson Welles' Macbeth and Chimes at Midnight, and Kurosawa's Throne of Blood were pretty nifty, as I recall.


To my son, any movie with guys wearing armor is considered medieval.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59206
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2017, 16:31

Jeemo wrote:The Adventures of Robin Hood
A Man for All Seasons
The Duellists


I mentioned A Man for All Seasons, but might be kinda dry. Robin Hood is good suggestion and I'll have to check out the Duellists.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33258
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby PENK » 17 May 2017, 12:15

sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:Got my boring head on here, but as far as most historians are concerned, 'mediaeval times' – or, less redundantly, the Middle Ages – lasted from the fall of Rome in the 5th century to the fall of Constantinople to the Turks in the 15th century, so any movies about Saxons, Vikings, Crusades, Arthurian legend, 'the age of chivalry', Wiliam Wallace, the Wars of the Roses (at a pinch) etc. count, but the Tudors don't, so Carry on Henry is out as well. Soz

As for mediaeval movies, Orson Welles' Macbeth and Chimes at Midnight, and Kurosawa's Throne of Blood were pretty nifty, as I recall.


To my son, any movie with guys wearing armor is considered medieval.

Image
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 1009
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Jumper K » 19 May 2017, 07:34

Jabberwocky.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13539
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Jimbo » 19 May 2017, 09:33

There is a brand new King Arthur movie directed by Guy Ritchie just out. I heard him talk about it on Joe Rogan. It's supposed to have lost billions on opening day according to a Yahoo! News headline.
I love you.

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14839
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby Belle Lettre » 19 May 2017, 11:40

Willow - more fantasy really
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.