All the President's Men

..and why not?
K

All the President's Men

Postby K » 13 May 2017, 21:09

Could be time for my annual thread about this brilliant movie. I love everything about it. Redford and Hoffman were never better. It has an incredible supporting cast (Jason Robards is towering in it). Obviously it's a compelling story that is so well told as we sit alongside Woodward and Bernstein and see the threads be slowly pulled out and the picture fit together. It's a tense film with very little action and it needs little action- I find it hard to look away.

Anyone else a fan?
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Re: All the President's Men

Postby PENK » 13 May 2017, 21:13

K wrote:Anyone else a fan?

It was on my list for the BCB Film Poll and it nearly made the top ten. It's what cinema should be: dynamite entertainment, provocative art.

I think that a lot of the smartest recent true-story films take a lot from it. Not just Spotlight, which is obvious, but things like The Social Network, Moneyball. They really take a lot from it in terms of adapting real-life events into gripping films.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

K

Postby K » 13 May 2017, 21:29

Do not write or try to contact me by telephone again. If you must talk to me, put the red flag in the pot on your balcony. If you want to talk, I will leave a note on page 20 of your New York Times. Take precautions against being followed. We will meet at 2 a.m. in the garage under the shopping center.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 May 2017, 22:08

A really honest and accurate depiction of one of the greatest pieces of journalism in history. A film I have never stopped watching halfway through, even when catching it by chance.

K

Postby K » 13 May 2017, 22:17

I'm watching it right now

K

Postby K » 13 May 2017, 22:21

There's no music in the film other than a quiet, droning chord when W and B look through the library cards.

EDIT: There's a bit more, later on in the film, but still hardly any

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 May 2017, 17:02

I guess I'll be the first to say I find it slightly dull. I understand it's an important film, but it's a bit like eating your vegetables because you know they're good for you. It wouldn't even make my list of top twenty '70s pictures and I feel that both Redford and especially Hoffman were better elsewhere.

K

Postby K » 16 May 2017, 17:19

Matt Wilson wrote:I guess I'll be the first to say I find it slightly dull. I understand it's an important film, but it's a bit like eating your vegetables because you know they're good for you. It wouldn't even make my list of top twenty '70s pictures and I feel that both Redford and especially Hoffman were better elsewhere.

Heretic!

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 16 May 2017, 17:57

I watch it with people who agree with Matt but I'm on the "one of the best of the 70's" team myself.
Nobody was sicker of Watergate than I was when the movie was new. The idea of those big stars playing those guys rubbed me the wrong way.
I heard about little "cutesy" things that probably didn't happen being added and I was actually dragged along kicking and screaming to see it. it was not a pretty sight.

I loved it from the get go. I think it works. I watch ten minutes of it at any point and I'm hooked. I think Pakula, as a director, had some Polanski type skills - he could really get under your skin. the movie stars are compelling. you can see them think. the "cutesy" stuff moves the story along and makes the characters compelling.

I think the main thing that makes the movie work better for me that it does for some of the people I watch it with is this: why is it important? it's important to me that nobody is above the law and that freedom of the press could make them accountable one way or the other. I think some of the people I watch it with find those ideas quaint & old fashioned.

it's structured like a Hardy Boys story and I think it works because of this. I think it's a dynamite movie.
Werner Herzog wrote:"There’s never been a dull day here in Los Angeles.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2017, 21:47

The San Francisco Chronicle has never been an esteemed news source, so as a local boy when Robards, as Bradlee, makes a joke that The Chronicle supposed willingness to print forecasts of the previous day's weather for those who missed it, pretty much summed it up and was a joke only locals would get.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Return to “Screenadelica”