The Last Jedi

..and why not?
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: The Last Jedi

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Jan 2018, 10:20

German Dave wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:The chances of a new Star Wars being considered as good as episodes 4 and 5 are virtually nil. You get what you get. These films are not made with middle aged people in mind anyway.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, Matt, but it was interesting how Nat and I took a nine year old girl, who'd never seen a SW film before, to see The Force Awakens and she loved it but when she then watched A New Hope the next week, albeit on TV at home, she found it really dull. Stupid kids.

My son adores IV. He's not seen VII or VIII yet as he's too young, but I'm hopeful that he sees the OT as the best ones.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Jan 2018, 02:21

I went with my girls (14 & 12) and they really liked it, more than i did to tell the truth. The movie's style really appealed to them.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Jan 2018, 10:07

My wife loved it - and she has no time for SF or fantasy as a rule. She was raving about it when we came out. Lots of strong female characters may perhaps have helped. The kids loved it too of course.

I liked it a lot - good fun and the time didn't drag at all. But as an adult I find SW films pretty much go in one ear and out the other without leaving much of a trace... Apart from Phantom Menace which was all negative.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Jan 2018, 19:35

Another by-the-numbers Star Wars movie. My girlfriend fell asleep twice during it, lol.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Jan 2018, 21:07

I saw it this afternoon. As a film, I think it probably hangs together better than the increasingly casual/uninvolving Marvel franchises, but there doesn't seem to be much point to Star Wars anymore. Did this drive the plot along any more? Is there an over-arching plot? Why should I care? A bit too much silly green-screen CGI, which The Force Awakens handled much better. It didn't drag for all of it's 2 1/2 hours, but it's not something I'd choose to watch again.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Jan 2018, 20:00

It's "Vader", you morons, not "Vadar". :roll:
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Jan 2018, 22:16

You say Tomader, I say Tomadar.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Jan 2018, 14:04

Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Apr 2018, 16:39

Watched it again.

Some good moments, but I'm starting to feel that how the Last Jedi sits within the canon of the Star Wars films will be determined by the quality of Episode IX.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 Apr 2018, 16:49

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Apr 2018, 16:59

Y'know, when I saw the Last Jedi DVD in Tesco this week, I genuinely had forgotten the existence of the film, and wondered how I didn't know there'd been another. It might say a lot about my precarious mental state, but it probably also says a lot about the long-lasting impact of the film.

And while I'm here, wait for this, it's worth a bit of build up.

Star Wars: Solo?

About as welcome as a drum solo!

Right lads?
Lads?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 Apr 2018, 17:01

*wonders if it’s woth taking D_F off ignore, I mean, he’s obviously saying something beastly about Steely Dan*
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 12 Apr 2018, 17:07

Solo, or: Dude, Where's My Millenium Falcon
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Apr 2018, 18:22

Han and Chewie go to White Castle
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 12 Apr 2018, 18:56

I've just come to the conclusion that they're being made for a different generation, rather than continuing the story. I don't think i'll see another one. The last one was just shite, this Johnson guy ruined it, for me, by actually turning it in to a Disney film. Hope the new generation get as much out of it as I did when I was younger.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Apr 2018, 11:55

You sound like an old man.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Apr 2018, 12:21

Meh, i'll take it.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 22 Apr 2018, 12:30

Geezee wrote:Saw it last night and I have a similar reaction to the first one where I generally felt "it's really good, I just wish..."

In the first one I really I liked the characters and general set-up but disliked the fact that so many plot elements were essentially rewrites of the first movie. In this one, again I really liked alot of the characters, fight scenes and just the general flow of the movie...I loved everything about Leia in the movie, and i had tears in my eyes at the reunion with Luke. I even liked the space walking- it was such a weird, crazy scene and i liked it because of that. Like others I found the Rey-Ren interactions really very compelling, and the showdown with Snoke - or actually more accurately the showdown with the red guards - was simply beautiful.

but there were a few things that were just very weak or unnecessary, most of which has already been picked up on here. The biggest issue for me is Poe - he fcks up, completely, twice, and that is essentially his entire contribution to the movie. First, he disobeys the order from Leia and puts them in the predicament that sets up the whole movie, and then he leads a ridiculous mutiny that again undermines the whole getout plan. Hundreds or thousands of rebels are killed as a result. But Poe is just dismissed by both Leia and her second-in-command as a loveable rogue..."oh that Poe". And related to this, as others have already commented, the whole side-plot where they escaped to the gambling colony was totally unnecessary - it was a false mission, built on Poe's stupidity, and only served to bring Del Toro's betrayal, again leading to hundreds dying, to the fore.And while I really liked the Rose character, her intervention to save Finn didn't seem to make sense - she effectively destroyed what looked like a plan that would've worked to destroy that big blaster. if she had some inside knowledge that what he was about to do wouldn't work, that's fine - but her rationale of "we save the ones we love" didn't make sense.
I really loved the fact that Leia lives, i feel it was a pretty brave decision, a great tribute to her and her character - although yes god knows how they'll resolve that.

Good write up, they made a few strange decisions on character development (Snoke, BDT, Poe’s, ahem, decision making, Leia’s ‘spacewalk’) that’ll make the next instalment hard to resolve,

Anyway, I finally watched this last night and share many of the views here - it’s a good, almost great, Star Wars movie with some obvious flaws. The clanking attempts at humour at the start were a worry, albeit it was amusing to see Ade Edmondson in there, but it motored along pleasingly and I’d gladly spend time in the SW universe in a worse movie that this.

Return to “Screenadelica”