The Last Jedi

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Re: The Last Jedi

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 11:35

Goat Boy wrote:It has a 93% rating on Rotten tomatoes. Of course not every review is positive but on the whole the critic reviews have been positive and, at times, glowing.

Fan reviews are way more mixed I suspect

Isn't the fan review in the 40's though?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 11:40

I think the film has to be taken 2 different ways, a relaunch hoping to attract new viewers and continuation of the original story. As a stand alone film as the 2nd in the relaunch of the franchise it's ok. However has the continuation of the original story, it's just shite. I think the reviews should be thought of in that way. I'm obviously for the latter in that as a continuation of the original story, it's just shite. If we could somehow find out how many of the positive reviews are from new fans/viewers I think that would be interesting.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Dec 2017, 12:21

Do they still bang on about midichlorians (or whatever they were called)?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 12:21

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
The Great Defector wrote: as a continuation of the original story, it's just shite.

I disagree, sorry. To my mind it develops the narrative of the force. I loved it. I think what you mean is, "I would have made a different film. ." I'll watch that when I get the chance.

Nope, it's shite.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 12:44

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:I disagree, sorry. To my mind it develops the narrative of the force. I loved it. I think what you mean is, "I would have made a different film. ." I'll watch that when I get the chance.

Nope, it's shite.

The one you wrote? Give it a chance.

It's the film business the argument of "if you can do better, then go ahead" is just a cheap comeback. Johnson doesn't seem to care and i'm pretty sure he wouldn't come back with that response. Though I do hope you use that in your line of work when your boss or co workers question your work. " G'on, you do better then". :lol:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 13:15

Sure, ok.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 22 Dec 2017, 23:21

What are you like when you’re out with your mates, Markus? Funny? Argumentative? Quiet?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 23 Dec 2017, 01:27

A prince!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Dec 2017, 03:46

I saw it last night, and while I enjoyed it for the most part I couldn't help feeling that ... well, maybe there wasn't as much magic as I would have liked from a Star Wars film. It felt like a pretty good Marvel film, somehow.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Dec 2017, 06:16

fange wrote: well, maybe there wasn't as much magic as I would have liked

It isn’t magic. It’s an energy that connects all living things.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Dec 2017, 09:22

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:A prince!

Le petit prince
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Dec 2017, 16:45

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:What are you like when you’re out with your mates, Markus? Funny? Argumentative? Quiet?

All of the above, why?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 28 Dec 2017, 12:10

Went yesterday and thought it was fun (although I almost fell asleep a couple of times in the first hour).

I see all the plot-holes and other issues, but don't really care.

... and I really liked the c*s*n* scene (the chase with the big-eared cat-horses and Benicio del Toro's cameo) a lot... and the kids in the final scene were just perfect, IMO.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 28 Dec 2017, 16:15

Jeemo wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
It has a 93% rating on Rotten tomatoes. Of course not every review is positive but on the whole the critic reviews have been positive and, at times, glowing.

Fan reviews are way more mixed I suspect

I'm putting all reviews on the same level, basically fans reviews on the same par as critics. I think it's more 50/50 myself with a slight lean to positive reviews. But to say it was an out and out success is wrong I reckon.

i thought the split was more 58/48.

106 is not the percentage you are looking for.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 28 Dec 2017, 16:20

Neige wrote:Went yesterday and thought it was fun.

This is my view, though I saw it last week.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Dec 2017, 16:20

My son and I saw it yesterday. We were two of four people in the theater.

We both liked it. I thought there were too many jokes.

But I like the new set of characters, how it sets up sequels and kinda winds the Resistance back to a new group and Kylo Ren is a more complex Vadar like character. I look forward to Rey's and his relationship in upcoming movies.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 29 Dec 2017, 05:23

Neige wrote:Went yesterday and thought it was fun (although I almost fell asleep a couple of times in the first hour).

... and I really liked the c*s*n* scene (the chase with the big-eared cat-horses and Benicio del Toro's cameo) a lot... and the kids in the final scene were just perfect, IMO.

Yeah, the last scene with the little kid there looking at the stars, that was pure Star Wars and a lovely touch. Brought back echoes of Luke starring at the suns of Tatooine before he left, and even a young Anakin living as a slave and racing pods to eke out a living. It points to the future in a good way.

But in general, that c*s*no planet scene felt so rushed, so sandwiched between the other subplots that it didn't quite reach its potential for me. It was a chance for some trademark SW cinematic magic, exploring another world like Bespin Cloud City and seeing its unique vistas and feel ... but it went by so fast my impression was just a bit of a cliched art deco style place with a mix of races. I can't even remember the name. The race track looked cool though.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Dec 2017, 13:16

It was better the second time. The flaws are still there of course but there's a lot that's good and daring here and some of it genuinely moved me.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 31 Dec 2017, 20:05

German Dave wrote:[ how Nat and I took a nine year old girl, who'd never seen a SW films.

You knew this Young girl right? You or your better half? :?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 Dec 2017, 23:38

German Dave wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:The chances of a new Star Wars being considered as good as episodes 4 and 5 are virtually nil. You get what you get. These films are not made with middle aged people in mind anyway.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, Matt, but it was interesting how Nat and I took a nine year old girl, who'd never seen a SW film before, to see The Force Awakens and she loved it but when she then watched A New Hope the next week, albeit on TV at home, she found it really dull. Stupid kids.

No, I get that. My nine-year-old's favorite Star Wars movie is episode 2. Go figure.

Return to “Screenadelica”