The Last Jedi

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: The Last Jedi

Postby Goat Boy » 02 May 2017, 12:37

I'm hopeful. From bits I've read it does sound like they are going to do something a little bit different than before. I suspect they are going to delve deeper into the history of the Jedi (journey of the whills etc) and possibly gray Jedis which has real dramatic possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if a major character turns to the dark/light side. The trailer does suggest a darker tone.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 May 2017, 13:25

This is getting into Primal Scream territory where they talk about all their influences for their new album and you think "well, this might be quite good" and then it's a big steaming turd. Rian Johnson talks about all the sorts of films he likes and has mentioned some quite obscure european ones, making me think that this could be the film that Return of the Jedi was meant to be.

There's an interesting interview with Gary Kurtz where he talks about how Return of the Jedi was originally drafted, being quite an ambiguous and dark film, with Han Solo dying and an uncertain ending. Lucas wasn't interested; he'd seen the $ from toy merchandising and wasn't about to risk all that on a film that could see all that dry up. Kurtz's participation with Star Wars ended right there and then.

Perhaps this is going to be that film. I don't know. Lucasfilm for one thing were surprised and energised by the success of Rogue One, which I think was a bit beyond their expectations, certainly given the film's more sombre tone. How that affects the feel of the Last Jedi it's difficult to say.

The ingredients are there I think and I reckon Johnson is intelligent enough to make it quite ambiguous as the trailer shows, and there's the backing from Lucasfilm to take this particular trilogy into darker, more uncertain territory. I reckon that the need to show the old guys is now gone, and actually they've done something quite clever (perhaps unintentionally) by making the OT more poignant, because we don't see Luke, Han and Leia together at all in this trilogy.

There's the requisite amount of mystery to be gleaned from this film. I for one am hoping on a Rey/Kylo Ren doomed love story, a bit perhaps like Twilight (not that I like those films at all). As has been inferred from the trailer, Luke is not quite how Rey expected to him to be, and perhaps he's a bit mental or mad or something. Not sure how Finn will feature. Anyway, I am looking forward to it, but I wasn't particularly taken with the trailer for it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 May 2017, 13:57

The Luke in the trailer comes across as similar to how we was intended to be at the end of Jedi. Which is to say sorta broken and wanting to hide. He was originally supposed to walk off into the sunset (echoing the twin suns scene on Tattoine) alone and a despondent, isolated figure.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a826339/star-wars-the-last-jedi-mark-hamill-disagrees-with-luke-skywalker-storyline/

Read into the above what you will. Daisy Ridley said something similar I think. She's also said something about the disappointment of meeting your heroes in relation to her character.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 May 2017, 18:21

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 03 May 2017, 13:38

Goat Boy wrote:I'm hopeful. From bits I've read it does sound like they are going to do something a little bit different than before.

Not copy the exact storyline from a previous star wars film?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 May 2017, 13:43

Well, aye. I think they are fully aware of that though

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 May 2017, 13:55

K wrote:I'd like to read that Kurtz interview. It will be dark, simply because it is the middle story in the trilogy but also I'm hoping Disney are giving the team enough creative freedom to be dark - it will sell whatever - so go for it.
I actually think Harry Potter is a good model here. I've been watching them with my kids and the films (which are better than the books) are not afraid to get very dark or end in a bad place.
I'm looking forward to it, despite the trailer not giving us much to go on.

I think there's a paradigm shift at Disney as to what their most important fanbase is. It is still 8-12 year old kids in some respects, but I think more and more it's teenagers and silly kiddults like ourselves who have places in our imaginations for bad stuff to happen.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 May 2017, 13:56

I'd like to see the demographics on who's watching all these comic book movies

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 03 May 2017, 14:25

Goat Boy wrote:I'd like to see the demographics on who's watching all these comic book movies

There's a load of twentysomething staff at my school who seem to go and watch one every week, while the 13-16 year-olds we teach seem less interested.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 May 2017, 14:33

Hope for the future then

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Oct 2017, 14:35

Full trailer out.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Oct 2017, 15:13

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I'm hopeful. From bits I've read it does sound like they are going to do something a little bit different than before.

Not copy the exact storyline from a previous star wars film?

That seems to be the model!
But .. oooh ... darker!

:lol:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2017, 15:58

You guys really think Disney is going to do a dark Star Wars movie then?

Hmm....

algroth

Postby algroth » 10 Oct 2017, 19:14

Matt Wilson wrote:You guys really think Disney is going to do a dark Star Wars movie then?

Hmm....

Rogue One was pretty dark. Certainly the darkest of the whole saga so far.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2017, 19:30

algroth wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:You guys really think Disney is going to do a dark Star Wars movie then?

Hmm....

Rogue One was pretty dark. Certainly the darkest of the whole saga so far.

It was, actually. And Force Awakens with Solo dying was kinda dark too.

But I'm thinking Episode 3 is as dark as we're gonna see from this series.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Oct 2017, 15:18

It's gonna be soooo dark man. I bet Lukes now addicted to opiates and Chewy is an alki

Dark man

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Oct 2017, 15:37

Goat Boy wrote:It's gonna be soooo dark man. I bet Lukes now addicted to opiates and Chewy is an alki

Dark man

"Ever since my dad chopped off my hand the pain's been unbearable, and this is the only way I can cope."

"Graaaahhhhwwwrrrrrghhbbllblblblblll.....*baaaaaarffff*..." thud.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Dec 2017, 11:46

Rave reviews from the premiere attendees...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 11 Dec 2017, 20:56

Indeed - but they were saying that about TFA too. Certainly doesn't sound like any jaw-dropping revelations from the soundbites of those who have seen it.

What seems to be apparent is that this is "different" from the other films in terms of structure etc.

I'm seeing it at 11:15 am on Thursday.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Dec 2017, 22:09

I'm seeing it Friday after work. I will be avoiding reading about it although it will be interesting to see what the general impression is from the reviews which I think are due tomorrow.

I don't place much significance on soundbites from people who were at the premiere. It's often comic book nerdy types who are bound to lose their shit regardless.

Return to “Screenadelica”