Twin Peaks season 3

..and why not?
User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 13:27

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
It's interesting that Lynch gets rid of Earle quite soon on.

Fire walk With Me next!


Yeah he didn't play a major part at the end, I thought he'd be more involved but "they" were after Cooper all alone I suppose. Yeah fire walk with me is next. Just need my brain cool down a bit after watching that.


I think they just got the character wrong and Lynch didn't like him, but, yeah, it was more about Cooper into the Lodge and Earle was bait. I kind of liked that they turned it around a bit. Earles death was cool
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14835
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Jun 2017, 13:30

The Modernist wrote:How are people getting on with season 3?
I'm certainly intrigued and fascinated to see where it will go, but I can't say I'm actually 'enjoying' it in any conventional way. I thought it seemed to be really finding an interesting identity in 3 & 4, but the last couple of episodes have left me a little cold. It seems to be satisfying the uber-fans who can spot all sorts of arcane intertextual references to the Twin Peaks mythology, but there's much less for the more casual fan (which is most of us) to enjoy.



Yeah I'm enjoying it, kinda missing the soap opera aspect just a little. I thought they were doing well with the creepy out there bit at the start of the episode 3, but when the large head appeared swimming across space and said blue flower or whatever it was, I thought, a bit too far out and funny for lynch. It kinda let down the eraserhead type feel to what happened a few minutes before.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7888
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jun 2017, 13:36

Goat Boy wrote:I kind of agree but there's a lot for a Twin peaks nerd to enjoy here. The scenes with Harry Dean Stanton, for example, fitted right in with Fire Walk With Me

I'm enjoying the Dougie Jones thing but it needs to end soon and I suspect it will. I wish they would release two episodes at the same time. I think they work better that way


Agree with the two episodes. They're more 'experiences' than narratives with a forward momentum and so a more immersive way of watching them would be better I think.
I need to watch FWWM again (I can't remember it well at all) , especially as this season seems to be referencing it so often. At the moment it all seems so fragmented with a constant parade of new characters. I'm expecting it to come together a bit more at some point, but it wouldn't surprise me if, with typical Lynchian perversity, it doesn't.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14835
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Jun 2017, 13:44

Goat Boy wrote:
I think they just got the character wrong and Lynch didn't like him, but, yeah, it was more about Cooper into the Lodge and Earle was bait. I kind of liked that they turned it around a bit. Earles death was cool



Yeah, unless I missed it, it would be interesting why they were interested in cooper.

Did you ever IMDB the actors from twin peaks. I have a thing of looking up actors on IMDB for ages. Like horne played the lead in west side story the film version. To go from that to twin peaks is a bit crazy. Silva who played bob never acted again after FWWM and worked the art department as well as acting. Dude who played Earle has over 220 credits to his name and is still going.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 13:52

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I kind of agree but there's a lot for a Twin peaks nerd to enjoy here. The scenes with Harry Dean Stanton, for example, fitted right in with Fire Walk With Me

I'm enjoying the Dougie Jones thing but it needs to end soon and I suspect it will. I wish they would release two episodes at the same time. I think they work better that way


Agree with the two episodes. They're more 'experiences' than narratives with a forward momentum and so a more immersive way of watching them would be better I think.
I need to watch FWWM again (I can't remember it well at all) , especially as this season seems to be referencing it so often. At the moment it all seems so fragmented with a constant parade of new characters. I'm expecting it to come together a bit more at some point, but it wouldn't surprise me if, with typical Lynchian perversity, it doesn't.


I think things will come together to form enough of an emotionally satisfying whole but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some threads didn't reappear of course. For example it doesn't look like we'll see the school teacher who killed his mistress again but then you don't need to. There are signs dots are being joined I think..

For example:

the dude in las vegas who works for the billionaire businessman who ordered the murder of the women and Dougie. Is the mystery businessman Phillip Jeffries? Bob - Dougie Jones - New York- Phillip Jeffries appear to all be connected.

Cooper appears on the verge of rejoining the world properly. Hawk has just found the clue referenced in the first episode (the native American connection) so they are being pulled together and presumably back to Twin Peaks


It does work better in longer chunks. I'll probably rewatch them that way as we continue to go along but we are only at episode 6 of 18 remember. I would deffo watch FWWM again.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 13:53

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
I think they just got the character wrong and Lynch didn't like him, but, yeah, it was more about Cooper into the Lodge and Earle was bait. I kind of liked that they turned it around a bit. Earles death was cool



Yeah, unless I missed it, it would be interesting why they were interested in cooper.

Did you ever IMDB the actors from twin peaks. I have a thing of looking up actors on IMDB for ages. Like horne played the lead in west side story the film version. To go from that to twin peaks is a bit crazy. Silva who played bob never acted again after FWWM and worked the art department as well as acting. Dude who played Earle has over 220 credits to his name and is still going.


I only saw West Side Story for the first time around Xmas and was stunned to see Ben Horne. Prepare to have your mind blown because Dr Jacoby was the lead Jet in West Side Story as well.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14835
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Jun 2017, 13:55

Goat Boy wrote: Prepare to have your mind blown because Dr Jacoby was the lead Jet in West Side Story as well.



Fuck, never seen that. Shelly today is HOT.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 14:02

Aye.

I suspect her daughter will become a main story as well as Richard Hornes (Audreys son?). Is the latter connected to the black lodge?
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14835
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Jun 2017, 14:16

Goat Boy wrote:Aye.

I suspect her daughter will become a main story as well as Richard Hornes (Audreys son?). Is the latter connected to the black lodge?


I don't know, I think it was a throw away scene like cera's.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 14:25

You mean the daughter or Richard Horne?
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14835
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Jun 2017, 14:29

The daughter. Horne will play a part I think. I think the bigger the star the less likely they'll be around. Ashley judd lasted 2 minutes, cera lasted 5 minutes but felt like 30. Seyfried is a big enough actresses I think, so that's why I think it will be a throw away scene. I could be wrong, Watts lasted 3 episodes.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14671
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Belle Lettre » 13 Jun 2017, 14:39

Goat Boy wrote:I kind of agree but there's a lot for a Twin peaks nerd to enjoy here. The scenes with Harry Dean Stanton, for example, fitted right in with Fire Walk With Me

I'm enjoying the Dougie Jones thing but it needs to end soon and I suspect it will. I wish they would release two episodes at the same time. I think they work better that way

Yes, you really get immersed then.

Did you notice the King and I reference? :)
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 15:08

I did but I've never seen the film so I'm not sure what/if it means anything
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board
Posts: 12729
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 13 Jun 2017, 15:16

I saw the fifth one last night and loved it. Great to see Harry Dean Stanton and Naomi Watts. And this Agent Cooper malarkey is a hoot.

I've no idea what's going on, tho'. No idea what you're all babbling on about.
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 15:18

It was nice to see Harry Dean Stanton. He looks good for 201!

I'm surprised you are still enjoying it.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 15:24

I have to say I wasn't expecting a midget with an ice pick :lol:
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 14671
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Belle Lettre » 13 Jun 2017, 15:27

Goat Boy wrote:I did but I've never seen the film so I'm not sure what/if it means anything

It was referencing Leland singing "Getting To Know You" one evening at the Great Northern and Pete suddenly swivels round on his bar stool and pronounces: "The King And I!"
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29126
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2017, 15:29

Ahhh, well spotted Robin.

There's so many things, isn't there?
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 561
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby joels344 » 19 Jun 2017, 23:45

Part 7 was fantastic. I would say the finest episode of Season 3. You can tell the series is building up to an interesting crescendo.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33062
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby PENK » 20 Jun 2017, 08:48

[pedantry]A crescendo is in itself a build, you cannot build to a crescendo[/pedantry]. We are a music board after all!

I agree though, this episode was perhaps the best yet. Lots more plot momentum, some lovely, genuinely warm moments (the scene between Truman* and Doc Hayward) and a great return to eerie, soundtrack-driven suggestion in several scenes.

*I was initially disappointed that Michael Ontkean wasn't on board, but Robert Forster is a special actor.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton


Return to “Screenadelica”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest