Twin Peaks season 3

..and why not?
joels344

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby joels344 » 14 Aug 2017, 15:40

Part 14 was probably the best episode (or at least will tie with Part 8) in the series thus far. We also technically had David Bowie aka Phillip Jeffries in this one. Though I'm still hoping for a new sequence involving his character. All of the plot sections are starting to merge together, and you can start seeing the ordering of the various timelines.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Aug 2017, 20:35

It was incredible.So much to take in, Ill just mention two goodies.
Thrilled that it was Andy who got swept into the White Lodge.
I knew something was up with Sarah..wonderful horror movie shtick!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 14 Aug 2017, 21:58

Coffee time!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Aug 2017, 00:20

The lamest excuse ever to have monica bellucci in the show, and 100% OK with it. :lol:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Aug 2017, 19:57

Belle Lettre wrote:Thrilled that it was Andy who got swept into the White Lodge.

Is it The White Lodge though? There's a description of The White Lodge in one of the old series TP (by Windom Earle) where it's described as the conventional representation of heaven - all sweetness and light. Whereas the place we saw yesterday (and in previous episodes) is like a bleak waiting room - you wouldn't be very happy being consigned there for eternity! :)

It seems to me more of an intermediary area imbetween The White and Black Lodges which can be used to interconnect between the various different worlds or dimensions.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 15 Aug 2017, 20:06

The Crossroads :o :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Aug 2017, 20:20

Belle Lettre wrote:The Crossroads :o :D

Well James must have done some sort of deal to sing like that!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Aug 2017, 21:25

It was another great episode.

Andy's vision of the Coopers seemed to support the theory of them being two halves of the one real Cooper. I guess we will find out when they meet: will Dougie Coop have to assimilate Bad Coop in order to become the real Cooper?

Sarah Palmer. Seriously what in the name.

Freddie from Laaahndaaan Taaaaahn. Why the fuck has he suddenly turned up in episode 14 with some seemingly important role to play? Like the Fireman said: why not him?
That was a good scene though. And when James checked the furnaces, he could hear the eerie noise that Ben and Beverley could hear upstairs, yet even louder. Another entrance to one of the Lodges maybe?

The drunk in the jail cell. Is that Billy?

Everything about Gordon Cole is wonderful. Not just coffee time or the windowcleaner, but his expression when he was talking on the phone to Lucy. If you go to Youtube, "Gordon Cole reacts" is a thing, but I hope when this is all done, someone can make a clip show of all Gordon's best moments. "A policeman's dream!" "There they are. Faces of stone!" "Dirty bearded men, in a room!" "Do you realise, Albert, that there are more than six thousand languages spoken on Earth today?"
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Aug 2017, 22:51

The Modernist wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:Thrilled that it was Andy who got swept into the White Lodge.

Is it The White Lodge though? There's a description of The White Lodge in one of the old series TP (by Windom Earle) where it's described as the conventional representation of heaven - all sweetness and light. Whereas the place we saw yesterday (and in previous episodes) is like a bleak waiting room - you wouldn't be very happy being consigned there for eternity! :)

It seems to me more of an intermediary area imbetween The White and Black Lodges which can be used to interconnect between the various different worlds or dimensions.

But it's Windom Earle describing it as if it's a legend. It's not from personal experience.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Aug 2017, 22:53

Even so, it's difficult to believe the white lodge would look like that, don't you think?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Aug 2017, 23:02

I don't think it's definitely the white lodge. It would certainly appear that way but then we also have the purple 'lodge' too.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Aug 2017, 23:05

The one with red curtains? Why is that purple?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Aug 2017, 23:10

It's from episode 3 I think when Cooper meets the two ladies and "Mother" is banging away in the background.

I'm not saying it's a separate lodge but it is noticeably different in colour:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Aug 2017, 00:21

Ah yes..another mysterious realm. I guess the woman is the same one who was found in the forest, though she hasn't got the cuts on her face.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Aug 2017, 10:01

Wow. Helluva episode. One of the best yet. Lynch pushes it at times and he’s certainly pushed it this season but he also knows when to crank things up and this definitely cranked it up.

A lot take in, a lot to talk about.

Sooooo…..

Janey-E is Dianes half sister? WTF? Really? Is that some part of Dianes plan just to get them to Vegas? Finally it looks like Cole and Albert are on the verge of finding Coop.

The whole Blue Rose thing with Tammy. I had to look up what she said: Tulpa. So either the woman who died was a doppleganger or the other one was the doppleganger, presumably created by the original one, possibly just before death? This explains Dougie Jones’ origin then. Bad Coop was able to imagine him and make him real.

LOVED Coles “Coffee!!” comment.

The whole “who is the dreamer?” scene. Monica Bellucci? HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Loved how they tied this back to the Phillip Jefferies scene in FWWM. Jefferies comment about who Coop was clearly suggests that Jefferies knows that there will be two Coopers eventually so he’s obviously seen the future. Some people will theorise that this is leading to some kind of Dallas moment but I seriously doubt that. Is this a reference to the lodges? Are we living inside their ‘dream’ somehow? Pawns in their game? Is this some kind of reference to David Lynches creative process? Hmmmm….

Finally we get to Jack Rabbits Palace. The Asian lady was a total curveball, completely unexpected as was Andys trip to the lodge. It looks like Andy has understood the Firemans/Giants message though which would make sense because it’s something that bypasses the rational brain, it’s something to be understood more intuitively which harkens back to Coopers deductive approach. Loved how it appeared to be a transformative experience for Andy.

Who is the drunk with the bleeding mouth? Is this Audreys Billy? The scene in the bar with the two ladies: is Tina another woman who is sleeping with Billy or is Tina actually Audrey and therefore the lady is Audreys daughter?

The whole scene with the cunt from Laaandan Town. Ridiculous!

Sarah fucking Palmer! Well I thought she was possessed and this obviously confirms it. Presumably by this “Mother” character which would make sense as Sarah is obviously Lauras Mum. Is Laura going to now try and save Sarah?

Roll on Episode 15!!!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Aug 2017, 10:55

It's such a treat
Nikki Gradual wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Aug 2017, 01:10

Some random thoughts:

Don't know what to make of the Sarah Palmer scene.
It all seemed a bit 'lame horror movie'.
Loved the whole Jack Rabbits scene, very beautifully shot.
This whole idea of doppelgangers which are just 'thought up' seems a bit of a weak narrative device, which is also moving away from the whole Bob 'evil spirit' idea, but we will see.
Continue to be unimpressed with the new Audrey. I don't know if she's in a coma or not, but her scenes are putting me in a coma.
Gordon and Albert are definitely the stars of this season for me. I've loved all their scenes.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Aug 2017, 21:59

Well that was awesome

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Aug 2017, 23:49

It was certainly intriguing.

The Ed/Nadine/Norma scene at the beginning was like a sop to old Twin Peaks fans and a shaft of light after all the darkness. It was laid on pretty thick with the Otis soundtrack but it was entirely earned. Impossible not to be moved if you're a Twin Peaks fan.
Bad Cooper visiting the convenience store was as suitably creepy as you would expect.
Bowie's voice has been dubbed to match the new actor. It did strike me that Tim Roth's OTT southern accent sounds more like the accent Bowie used for Jeffrey's than the replacement guy!
Speaking to a voice coming out of a machine was very Wizard of Oz. That's a long time Lynch obsession of course.
THen there was the death of the log lady, which was made all the more poignant with the knowledge that the actress Catherine Coulson was herself close to death.
So this was an episode about death and rebirth for me. The death of Ed's marriage and his rebirth with Norma. The death of the log lady which also seemd to symbolise the death of the old Twin Peaks (as in the town, but perhaps the show too?). But most intriguingly of all the death of Dougie and the rebirth of Agent Cooper..well we can only hope!
And yet, as is the infuriating way with this show, we also had odd, disconnected scenes which I found hard to engage with; more deaths - the deppressing druggie Steven, a character whose significance is still obscure but for whom it's difficult to raise much interest, the Las Vegas businessman whose name I can't even remember. And 1more incomprehensible roadhouse scenes. And more gloomy grunge-goth (although ZZ Top made me smile, I was fully expecting them to appear!). It also missed the humour supplied by Cole.
But still the good parts carried real impact so I do get Dougie's (the Scottish dope rather than the Las Vegas one. ;) ) enthusiasm.
For me this is fascinating television, but flawed. Had it been edited down into less episodes then I think series 3 really would have been remarkable.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 Aug 2017, 07:02

Had Richard been tailing Bad Coop from the Farm?

Ed and Norma - just a joy. It gives a vague point to the activities of "Dr Amp", too!

The Dougie scene was a jaw-dropper. I read afterwards that Lynch got the name "Gordon Cole"
from Sunset Boulevard, so how delicious to have it on and Dougie suddenly snap to attention at the name. Will the electric shock therapy work? And will Audrey finally cross her threshold at the same time?

G, the man in Vegas was Todd, who is meant to "arrange" things for Bad Cooper but as we know has bungled things lately, hence Chantal's visit.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Return to “Screenadelica”