Twin Peaks season 3

..and why not?
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 May 2017, 10:48

It won't have been to everyone's taste, but it IS TO MINE..Wow, Cooper. Wow.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 May 2017, 14:15

I only saw the first hour. What did I miss? No wait, don't tell me!

AAAGGGGGHHHHHH!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 May 2017, 15:09

I was gonna rewatch everything and subscribe to Showtime in time for this.

Oh well.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 May 2017, 15:24

I'm watching it tonight.

I think I sorta know what to expect
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 May 2017, 15:33

Hopefully you won't be disappointed :)
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 May 2017, 16:00

I don't think I will but I suspect the lass might not be so keen.

We're having pie for tea. That's a Scottish meat pie by the way cos I don't like cherries
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 22 May 2017, 16:18

Twin Peaks returns with one of the most Twin Peaks episodes ever. There's so much to unpackage in Part 1 and Part 2, but it was certainly an impressive start to the Season 3. It's also a positive that David Lynch will be directing every episode in the season. I'm tempted to watch Part 3 and Part 4 right now on demand, but I also wouldn't mind waiting until next weekend.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 May 2017, 10:17

I just watched the first hour last night. I disagree that it was "one of the most Twin Peaks episodes ever". I think that it was much harder and harsher; some of the soapy elements of the original may have seemed to drag but they played a big part in the series' magic, offsetting the spookiness and horror. This new one has a magic of its own but it's a darker magic, with little of the humour or heart of the original series: the brief scenes with Ben and Jerry and Andy and Lucy seemed an afterthought. And we were only in Twin Peaks itself for a brief while. I assume - hope - that the classic characters will all be back after a while; a lot of them are on the cast list, at least, but will they just make brief "and this is what so-and-so is up to" cameos?

I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed at the serious shift in tone and yet it was compelling, wasn't it? Oozing with mystery and strangeness. Little touches like the strange characters in the cabin Cooper (if it is him) visits seem to carry more weight here because they are part of a large narrative, rather than token bits of weirdness Lynch throws in the corner of the screen. Bleaker (yes, bleaker than a series about a murdered teenager) it might be but it seemed true to itself and I'm looking forward to watching the next part.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 23 May 2017, 12:16

I quite enjoyed the bits I saw. It reminded me of Fargo (the TV series) in many ways - small-town Midwest populated by eccentrics with odd accents, disturbing criminal activity, wonderful set design. And yes I KNOW that Twin Peaks came first.

I can't be arsed with Lynch and all that 'shocking juxtaposition' bollocks normally but might stick with this.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 May 2017, 12:45

PENK wrote:I just watched the first hour last night. I disagree that it was "one of the most Twin Peaks episodes ever". I think that it was much harder and harsher; some of the soapy elements of the original may have seemed to drag but they played a big part in the series' magic, offsetting the spookiness and horror. This new one has a magic of its own but it's a darker magic, with little of the humour or heart of the original series: the brief scenes with Ben and Jerry and Andy and Lucy seemed an afterthought. And we were only in Twin Peaks itself for a brief while. I assume - hope - that the classic characters will all be back after a while; a lot of them are on the cast list, at least, but will they just make brief "and this is what so-and-so is up to" cameos?

I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed at the serious shift in tone and yet it was compelling, wasn't it? Oozing with mystery and strangeness. Little touches like the strange characters in the cabin Cooper (if it is him) visits seem to carry more weight here because they are part of a large narrative, rather than token bits of weirdness Lynch throws in the corner of the screen. Bleaker (yes, bleaker than a series about a murdered teenager) it might be but it seemed true to itself and I'm looking forward to watching the next part.

Yes to all this. The soap opera quality and humour is what gave it warmth and made it genuinely moving.

I can’t say I’m not disappointed. I was hoping it would be closer to the original series than it is but after reading the headlines of the early reviews I knew it was going to be different however I didn’t realise it would be this different. It jarred I have to say but once I accepted that this is the tv show Mulholland Drive would have been then I settled into it. This isn’t the old Twin peaks, this is something new and different and it should be judged accordingly although I would have liked more of a compromise between the two.

On the plus side it is bracingly weird but not inaccessible. If you’ve seen the show and watched Fire Walk With Me you can piece things together into something reasonably cohesive even if at this stage there are clearly more questions than answers. Lynch has a knack of linking things together through mood, feel and visuals so even if everything doesn’t make complete sense it’s not necessarily an issue. There are always going to be things that are unresolved. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the characters we have seen so far are never seen again. This is not an issue for me personally, however, I’m a little bit concerned that classic Twin Peaks characters may be completely periphery. Looking at the imdb cast list today Richard Beymer (Ben Horne) is listed as appearing in one episode. Is that all we are going to see of good ‘ol Ben? The sound design is fantastic of course, as you’d expect but I’d like more Badalamenti. There are moments of real visual beauty too although I’m not massively keen on the digital effects or digital film in general. The original had a natural analogue warmth that suited the material. Clearly Lynch likes this – he shot Inland Empire on digital too – but it bothers me sometimes here although at times it works very well. I suspect it will really grow on me but just now I’m still experiencing the shock of the new Twin Peaks.

Things I loved:

All the red room stuff. Seeing Laura and Lleland again (presuming that finding Laura is going to be a major plot thread). The fucking tree!
Bad Coop.
Major Briggs (it's a "Blue Rose" case for sure)
Ben and Jerrys weed business
Coops adventures in the black lodge
the fucking weird figure in the prison

Episode 4 tonight

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 May 2017, 13:02

I tried to have no particular expectations, which may have helped. I've only watched 1&2 so far so looking forward to seeing how things develop.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 May 2017, 15:52

Belle Lettre wrote:I tried to have no particular expectations, which may have helped. I've only watched 1&2 so far so looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Now caught up, and those episodes pose more questions then they answer, that's for sure.

I didn't see (or notice) some of the characters who were in the credits and I'm not sure if I ever knew exactly what the deal was with the black and white lodges and a whole bunch of other stuff. Whatever, I'm enjoying it. As long as he doesn't bring back that shut-in orchid guy from Season 2; that guy's subplot was a rabbit hole that didn't need exploring.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 May 2017, 23:06

Episode 4 was great fun. The closest yet to the old series. I appreciated its warmth and humour. Poor Bobby

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 May 2017, 11:59

My head is fried in a good way after watching the first two parts. It's like it's never been away to be honest. One of the problems I foresaw for this was the producers trying to make it friendly enough for new viewers to get interested without knowing the back story. Quite frankly it looks like Frost and Lynch said "fuck that". I thought some of the SFX were very 80's, I'm assuming that was on purpose. Also while they got a few of the old characters back, Lynch's ability to find new and weirdly interesting looking actors is amazing.

Added bones is discovering Madeline Zima. Hello.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 May 2017, 12:33

It's made solely for the fans. There's been a number of links to Fire Walk With Me and not just the show itself as well (blue rose, the owl ring)

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 May 2017, 12:44

Goat Boy wrote:It's made solely for the fans. There's been a number of links to Fire Walk With Me and not just the show itself as well (blue rose, the owl ring)

Yeah, I just thought the producers would try to make it as viewer friendly as possible to try and get the boxset sales for season 1 and 2 going again, and possibly get a season 4. Milk this as much as possible.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 May 2017, 12:47

Credit to Showtime who have clearly given them the money and said "do what you want".

I mean, this is the weirdest shit ever seen on the telly.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 May 2017, 12:52

I don't know, watch 10 minutes of Made in Chelsea and get back to me. :?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 May 2017, 13:08

Oh yeah, that shit is unfathomable

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 25 May 2017, 23:26

Watched eps 3 and 4 tonight. Fucking hell!

And David Lynch just received a 3-minute standing ovation at Cannes :)
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Return to “Screenadelica”