Twin Peaks season 3

..and why not?
User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52023
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Jul 2017, 18:14

I thought it moved things along nicely. The goings-on in Twin Peaks and those in South Dakota have been linked by Maj. Briggs, and Gordon Cole and crew now have to connect the dots. The FBI's also getting closer to finding Cooper, while the TP sheriff's office have an inkling of the "two Coopers" deal. Meanwhile, the Las Vegas police are about to discover that Dougie Jones didn't exist until 1997.

The only problem, of course, is that none of the characters know what to do with the information they're accumulating.

Plus, we get to see some skanky chick's armpit rash - what more do you want?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Jul 2017, 18:23

The south Dakota cops now have Coopers fingerprints on the cup mind.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9334
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jul 2017, 20:48


User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33665
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby PENK » 14 Jul 2017, 22:24



I came here to post that!

Fruitcake, anyone?
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33665
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby PENK » 14 Jul 2017, 22:50

I thought it was a very good episode. Not the showstopper that episode 8 was, but an episode with lots of plot momentum, some great lines and - very welcome - plenty of time spent in Twin Peaks. Bobby Briggs has not been in it much yet, but he has been getting some of the most affecting scenes and lines, and the ones that hark back to the original series most. It looks like he'll be more involved now, which is nice.

Tim Roth and Jennifer Jason Leigh seem a fun pair as well!
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9334
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jul 2017, 10:34

Bobby's character seems so different to the original one that I find it hard to see him as the same character, even if I understand that he's matured and changed as a person.
I really enjoyed the Bill Hastings "I wanna go scuba diving" scene. Twin Peaks has always been great at balancing humour and tragedy, which is very difficult to do well. It reminded me of the scene in the original where Leland jumps on the coffin and hugs it. These guys are going through hell, and we really feel for them, but there is an absurdist humour in the depth of their grief.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Jul 2017, 11:25

Well it fits into his fathers vision of him of course. Remember that great scene where Briggs tells Bobby about his vision in the diner? Bobby living a life of contentment and fulfillment and all that. Bobbys is almost in tears.

Lleland on the coffin! And of course Shelley taking the piss about it afterwards in the diner :lol:
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9334
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jul 2017, 14:01

Goat Boy wrote:Well it fits into his fathers vision of him of course. Remember that great scene where Briggs tells Bobby about his vision in the diner? Bobby living a life of contentment and fulfillment and all that. Bobbys is almost in tears.

Lleland on the coffin! And of course Shelley taking the piss about it afterwards in the diner :lol:


I'm rewatching 1 & 2 and watched the episode with the diner scene just last night.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16059
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 16 Jul 2017, 20:53

Did frost and Lynch say this is it? A once off and no season 4.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33665
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby PENK » 17 Jul 2017, 19:51

Underwhelmed by this week's episode.

There were some great funny scenes, mainly early on - Dougie having sex! :lol: and Albert's romantic adventures - but it spent too much time developing the less interesting storylines, and I'm now finding the Richard Horne character to be tiresome, an empty evil. I hope there is something brewing there (is he the son of Bad Coop/BOB and Audrey?) because he just seems a rather blunt way of exploring the misogyny and violence that Lynch wants to portray. Even the music at the end (the guy I thought looked like Moby actually was Moby according to the credits) was the dullest yet, woman's remarkable voice aside.

One exciting snippet was the photo Tammy presented to Gordon. Was that taken at the time the couple were killed on the sofa, or before? Who was that with Bad Coop? I thought it was the Giant, but a rewind and freezeframe didn't make it clear. Could it be Philip Jeffries?
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52023
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Jul 2017, 21:23

How about this: Chad pocketed the letter from Miriam Hodges, yet Miriam's last name is actually Sullivan, as seen in the credits. So he got the wrong letter and the real one will still make it to the TPSD.

:D
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9334
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 17 Jul 2017, 22:30

PENK wrote:Underwhelmed by this week's episode.

There were some great funny scenes, mainly early on - Dougie having sex! :lol: and Albert's romantic adventures - but it spent too much time developing the less interesting storylines, and I'm now finding the Richard Horne character to be tiresome, an empty evil. I hope there is something brewing there (is he the son of Bad Coop/BOB and Audrey?) because he just seems a rather blunt way of exploring the misogyny and violence that Lynch wants to portray. Even the music at the end (the guy I thought looked like Moby actually was Moby according to the credits) was the dullest yet, woman's remarkable voice aside.

One exciting snippet was the photo Tammy presented to Gordon. Was that taken at the time the couple were killed on the sofa, or before? Who was that with Bad Coop? I thought it was the Giant, but a rewind and freezeframe didn't make it clear. Could it be Philip Jeffries?


I had very much the same reaction to this week's show.
It's definitely becoming more plot driven, which is a relief in some ways, but not when the plot involves spending so much time with characters who are so dislikable or just uninteresting. I am really missing the warmth of the old series (which I'm concurrently rewatching). Did like the fly scene though, and it was nice to see the log lady again!

(is he the son of Bad Coop/BOB and Audrey?

It does seem like it. He actually does look quite like Audrey, they have similar eyes.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16059
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 18 Jul 2017, 01:07

"Candie" is Irish. She hid the Dublin accent well.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16059
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Great Defector » 18 Jul 2017, 15:08

...also harry d's impromptu solo was far better than any of the tunes lynch plays at the end.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Jul 2017, 23:04

I thought it was a great episode. The balance between light and darkness was perfect, typified by Richard Hornes robbery of his grandmother with that "hello jonny" teddy bear on an endless loop. Great stuff. Lot's of wonderful comedic moments too. Loved Albert and the police lady on a date with Cole looking on in delight. The scenes with Candy were a total hoot. And Dougie getting laid (the flapping arms!). Also wonderful and incredibly sweet to see Nadines drape runner shop. jacobys scene was a riot too.

And of course the darker stuff:

Dianes text message.
The log ladys wonderful speech
The cokehead boyfriend and Shellys daughter

And the weird vision of Laura.


I think it's hotting up beautifully. I'm also really enjoying Dougie.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Jul 2017, 23:06

The Modernist wrote:
I had very much the same reaction to this week's show.
It's definitely becoming more plot driven, which is a relief in some ways, but not when the plot involves spending so much time with characters who are so dislikable or just uninteresting. I am really missing the warmth of the old series (which I'm concurrently rewatching). Did like the fly scene though, and it was nice to see the log lady again!

(is he the son of Bad Coop/BOB and Audrey?

It does seem like it. He actually does look quite like Audrey, they have similar eyes.


I thought it was the warmest episode yet. In fact it's becoming more like the old Twin Peaks but as much as I adore the original I'm not missing those elements of the show that haven't been as present this time round.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Jul 2017, 23:09

Goat Boy wrote:What did Evil Coop do to Diane? Did he do anything as well to Audrey Horne? Doc Haywards recollection alludes to something dodgy. The drug dealer who ran over the boy is a Horne. Could this be evil coopers son?



I said that a month ago.

Do people even read what I write round here?!
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9334
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jul 2017, 23:13

I do think it's heading somewhere very interesting, I'm looking forward to them going to Jack Rabbits next week. However I do also find it very hit and miss. It feels as if they rushed the editing or something, too many scenes seem like non-sequiturs and fail to leave much impression. It's scrappy. I'm also well bored of Dougie - there are things I'm really enjoying however!
I do realise I'm in the minority, seemingly, on this as each episode seems to be getting rapturous reactions from the fans.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9334
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jul 2017, 23:14

Goat Boy wrote:

Do people even read what I write round here?!


is the pope Catholic?

;)

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Jul 2017, 23:22

The Modernist wrote:I do think it's heading somewhere very interesting, I'm looking forward to them going to Jack Rabbits next week. However I do also find it very hit and miss. It feels as if they rushed the editing or something, too many scenes seem like non-sequiturs and fail to leave much impression. It's scrappy. I'm also well bored of Dougie - there are things I'm really enjoying however!
I do realise I'm in the minority, seemingly, on this as each episode seems to be getting rapturous reactions from the fans.


I find the whole thing improves when you watch it again in larger chunks although we've said this before of course. I think it suffers from the weekly episode format somewhat.

It's hard to gauge what the fans reactions are. I see a lot of comments slagging the show off and people saying they've had enough but I see a lot of comments praising it massively. I dunno. I suspect it's the hardcore left to a degree now
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam