Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

..and why not?
User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 841
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby PresMuffley » 26 Mar 2017, 02:59

Do you think he overacted the bathroom / freakout / murder-suicide scene?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4927
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby algroth » 26 Mar 2017, 03:06

I like a bit of D'Onofrio scenery-chewing, so I don't really mind.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 841
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby PresMuffley » 26 Mar 2017, 03:26

His facial expression is so over the top - even leading up to that scene when he finds out he made the infantry. I used to prefer the first half of the film, but after rewatching it a couple months back and again earlier today I feel the second half really outshines the first.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4927
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby algroth » 26 Mar 2017, 06:15

PresMuffley wrote:His facial expression is so over the top - even leading up to that scene when he finds out he made the infantry. I used to prefer the first half of the film, but after rewatching it a couple months back and again earlier today I feel the second half really outshines the first.


I've always felt that way about it, but I've enjoyed D'Onofrio's work all the same. I mean, the first half is generally quite over the top, be it D'Onofrio or Lee Ermey and so on.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 841
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby PresMuffley » 26 Mar 2017, 07:12

Ermey is no doubt OTT - he's essentially there for comedy - but I find his character of an old school Marine believable for that time. D'Onofrio didn't ruin the film or anything - I'm not trying to talk shit about him - but I found that look on his face when he learns he made the infantry unintentionally hilarious. And his inflection / voice when Joker finds him alone in "the head" with his rifle could have been toned down a bit to greater effect. It's a very serious scene, and it just seemed like he was trying too hard for a demonic vibe. It felt too obvious.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 764
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby joels344 » 27 Mar 2017, 01:50

PresMuffley wrote:His facial expression is so over the top - even leading up to that scene when he finds out he made the infantry. I used to prefer the first half of the film, but after rewatching it a couple months back and again earlier today I feel the second half really outshines the first.


I definitely agree with that. The second half operates as a fantastic psychological war drama, whereas the first half indulges in immature comedic scenes and overblown, "Dat man is crazy and gunna do somethin' crazy" trope. As I've gotten older, the second half has become more and more appealing to me.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11894
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Geezee » 27 Mar 2017, 14:34

It's funny, for a year or so I was watching quite a lot of Law and Order, and I was appalled at what a horrible actor he was, so many of his scenes are just plain embarrassing, and the worst part of being that he really seems to want to be taken as a serious/intense/method actor (and sometimes you're pretty sure that you can catch Eames laughing inside at how bad he is). I didn't realise he was the same actor as the character in FMJ. When I found that out my jaw dropped, as I remembered him as being quite good in FMJ...but then I did see FMJ again a year or so later and I burst out laughing at the scene PM is mentioning...he really is a proper ham actor, in the worst possible way.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30282
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Mar 2017, 15:03

It's never bothered me. How would somebody who's lost the plot react in that situation, you know?
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11894
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Geezee » 27 Mar 2017, 16:03

Goat Boy wrote:It's never bothered me. How would somebody who's lost the plot react in that situation, you know?


Convincingly.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30282
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Mar 2017, 16:07

It doesn't bother me. I think realism is overrated sometimes and Kubrick obviously liked a bit of scenery chewing hence Jack in the Shining
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11894
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Geezee » 27 Mar 2017, 16:16

Goat Boy wrote:It doesn't bother me. I think realism is overrated sometimes and Kubrick obviously liked a bit of scenery chewing hence Jack in the Shining


On his gravestone, it will say "There's scene chewery, and then there's Vincent D'Onofrio."
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30282
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Mar 2017, 16:18

I don't recall seeing him in anything else
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28360
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Mar 2017, 16:53

That look he gives where his face is slightly turned down but his eyes are looking up is the standard Kubrick default facial expression for insanity. Jack did it in The Shining and Malcolm did it a lot in Clockwork Orange.

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60058
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Mar 2017, 17:18

This movie has been on Starz lateley and I just watched it on IFC. He's kind of a ham, but I like that scene. I wish there were more of him and less of Matthew Modine, to be honest.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15775
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby pcqgod » 27 Mar 2017, 17:50

It's the only scene I really remember from that movie, so that's something.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 5483
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Mar 2017, 20:17

Geezee wrote:It's funny, for a year or so I was watching quite a lot of Law and Order, and I was appalled at what a horrible actor he was, so many of his scenes are just plain embarrassing, and the worst part of being that he really seems to want to be taken as a serious/intense/method actor (and sometimes you're pretty sure that you can catch Eames laughing inside at how bad he is). I didn't realise he was the same actor as the character in FMJ. When I found that out my jaw dropped, as I remembered him as being quite good in FMJ...but then I did see FMJ again a year or so later and I burst out laughing at the scene PM is mentioning...he really is a proper ham actor, in the worst possible way.


I thought he was excellent in Law & Order.

A cop with his demons and an oddly intense personality.

Something a bit different from the norm. I think he pulled it off brilliantly.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11894
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Geezee » 27 Mar 2017, 20:21

Lord Rother wrote:A cop with his demons and an oddly intense personality. Something a bit different from the norm.


Is that a joke!? :D
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4927
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby algroth » 27 Mar 2017, 23:40

Goat Boy wrote:I don't recall seeing him in anything else


Men in Black? Daredevil series? :)

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15775
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby pcqgod » 28 Mar 2017, 02:20

algroth wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't recall seeing him in anything else


Men in Black? Daredevil series? :)


'The Cell' (2000)?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20133
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Postby Jeemo » 28 Mar 2017, 08:46

Jurassic World?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.