The last impressive performance by Robert De Niro?

..and why not?
PresMuffley

The last impressive performance by Robert De Niro?

Postby PresMuffley » 24 Mar 2017, 02:43

I haven't been interested in many of the films he's starred in over the past couple of decades but I thought he was fantastic in Being Flynn - which otherwise I found middling and fairly disappointing. I loved Flynn's memoir Another Bullshit Night in Suck City, but the adaptation just didn't do much for me.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: The last impressive performance by Robert De Niro?

Postby naughty boy » 24 Mar 2017, 06:32

I honestly always find him very watchable - still. I think the problem likes more in the films themselves, which often aren't that great, and he's a whore.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 24 Mar 2017, 07:16

The decline started around The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle in 2000...He's been sporadically decent since then, but most of his movies have been pretty dire...

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Mar 2017, 09:17

The last thing I can recall was 1995's Heat. Everything I've seen since then has been forgettable to risible.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 09:36

I wouldn't say impressive but I did enjoy him in Meet The Fockers.

How many decent parts are there for somebody his age in Hollywood?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 24 Mar 2017, 09:51

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 24 Mar 2017, 10:00

Last December, I noticed Amazon Video were offering Dirty Grandpa to stream for just one of your British quidlingtons. I'd seen the reviews and thought "nahh, it can't be that bad... can it?". I was wrong. It was. In fact, it was worse.
I think we can safely say that wasn't one of his impressive performances by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, on reflection, I'd say that the first Fockers film was his last impressive effort. In the subsequent sequels, he just phoned it in, imo.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 10:10

Dog Pickle 'BEAUT' wrote:He was in SIX major films in 2013!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_De ... ilmography

You gotta keep busy at that age!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Mar 2017, 10:24

Goat Boy wrote:How many decent parts are there for somebody his age in Hollywood?

Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman seem to have managed ok well into later years.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Postby ... » 24 Mar 2017, 10:26

Last decent film he was in would seem to have been American Hustle. Not sure about his performance as don't even remember him being in it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 10:32

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:How many decent parts are there for somebody his age in Hollywood?

Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman seem to have managed ok well into later years.

Nicholson has made very few movies. Morgan has done alright but how many are really good parts? It's not easy for actors at that age in Hollywood. Either De Niro needs the cash - I assume he doesn't - or he just likes to work so he'll take any old shit.

This sorta thing certainly bothers me less than a new Rolling Stone album

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 24 Mar 2017, 10:42

fueryIre wrote:Last decent film he was in would seem to have been American Hustle. Not sure about his performance as don't even remember him being in it.

It was little more than a cameo. Uncredited, too. He was great.

Goat Boy wrote:Either De Niro needs the cash - I assume he doesn't - or he just likes to work so he'll take any old shit.

This sorta thing certainly bothers me less than a new Rolling Stone album

Yeah, same for me.

Actually I'd go further - I like to see him act in pretty much anything (apart from the likes of Dirty Grandpa, like Phil mentioned). Same goes for Pacino.

I watched De Niro in some half-decent thing the other day - it was about trying to organise a family reunion. He was travelling around the country, talking to his kids, all sorts of low-key awkwardness. No stretch for him, but he was very good.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 10:55

Maybe there will still be an About Schmidt but, like I say, it really doesn't bother me at all.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 11:04

He's in a new TV show - the Wizard of Lies. Starts in May

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2017, 14:40

I was watching in silver lining playbook the other night and come to the conclusion that these days with shakey camera, too many close ups and more rapid editing, that you don't get a chance to see him (and other old school actors of his elk) long enough to see them fully act in a shot. In the likes of goodfellas, god-da, taxi driver etc, the camera was fixed on him for a lot longer. Even a minute or two more than in most of today's films.

It's just a theory.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 14:44

He's generally pretty good in any film he's in. But there was a time when a new De Niro film was an event. Those days ended somewhere around the mid 80s. But he'd still come up with a C@sino or Goodfellas every few films.

Whatever caused Scorsese to stop working with him, you could easily argue that the era of "event" films died with their collaboration. He's made good films since, and been excellent in a lot of things. But nothing feels like a classic after C@sino. That may bode well for the future, as they are making a film now (with a dream-cast that includes Al Pacino,Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel).

As for impressive performances, as I said above - I think he's usually stong. But the last performance that seemed De Niro-strong to me was City By the Sea back in 2002.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Mar 2017, 14:45

He was good in Silver Linings Playbook though. He even got an Oscar nomination for that performance. No mean feat at his age. Pacino hasn't had one since he won in 1992.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2017, 14:51

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
But the last performance that seemed De Niro-strong to me was City By the Sea back in 2002.

He was "allowed" to act in that film in terms of what I was talking about. However, I think DeNiro can't play the every day person which if I remember his character was in the film. His characters need and edge or an overwhelming character trait for him to show how talented he is.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 24 Mar 2017, 15:13

Darkness_Fish wrote:

Freeman is very active - whether acting or narrating, but the last thing he was in that I liked was Se7en. Nicholson seems to be content just going to Lakers games now regardless of how shitty they are. De Niro is involved in the global real estate market, so maybe he takes what comes to him to help finance that. Not sure.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2017, 15:17

Nicholson's officially retired now I think.

Return to “Screenadelica”