The last impressive performance by Robert De Niro?

..and why not?
fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Re: The last impressive performance by Robert De Niro?

Postby fueryIre » 24 Mar 2017, 15:39

The Great Defector wrote:Nicholson's officially retired now I think.

Thought the backers were trying to get him to sign on for the crazy dad role in the (almost sure to be a disastrous - they always are) US remake of Toni Erdmann...

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 15:46

The Great Defector wrote:I was watching in silver lining playbook the other night and come to the conclusion that these days with shakey camera, too many close ups and more rapid editing, that you don't get a chance to see him (and other old school actors of his elk) long enough to see them fully act in a shot. In the likes of goodfellas, god-da, taxi driver etc, the camera was fixed on him for a lot longer. Even a minute or two more than in most of today's films.

It's just a theory.

While I generally share your opinion that the tics of modern filmmakers have been detrimental - it still has to be said that great screen acting still exists. If a guy like Phillip Seymour Hoffman could put up a career-full of greatness in the late 90s and 2000s - then it has to have been possible for De Niro to have fared better.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Mar 2017, 15:47

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:I was watching in silver lining playbook the other night and come to the conclusion that these days with shakey camera, too many close ups and more rapid editing, that you don't get a chance to see him (and other old school actors of his elk) long enough to see them fully act in a shot. In the likes of goodfellas, god-da, taxi driver etc, the camera was fixed on him for a lot longer. Even a minute or two more than in most of today's films.

It's just a theory.

While I generally share your opinion that the tics of modern filmmakers have been detrimental - it still has to be said that great screen acting still exists. If a guy like Phillip Seymour Hoffman could put up a career-full of greatness in the late 90s and 2000s - then it has to have been possible for De Niro to have fared better.

Good point, exception to the rule maybe?
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 16:26

People might laugh at this, but I thought he was really good in the Intern with Ann Hathaway.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 16:43

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Mar 2017, 16:45

sloopjohnc wrote:People might laugh at this, but I thought he was really good in the Intern with Ann Hathaway.

The only thing that can possibly save you now is...."I was watching this to impress a lady friend".
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Mar 2017, 16:46

I was just pointing out that Nicholson did plenty of films as an old bloke, prior to retiring, that the glass ceiling which rich white men face isn't perhaps as bad as we all feared. Michael Caine did ok too, playing Michael Caine better in old age than he did as a youth, I think.

*Edit - I didn't notice this discussion had moved on to page 2. It now looks strangely out of place, without quoting someone. Damn you, internet.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 16:59

I think De Niro has been in some embarrassing films whereas Nicholson and Freeman perhaps haven't and that's the difference. But in terms of great parts none of them have exactly been killing it for quite some time although About Schmidt was a notable exception for Jack
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

fueryIre
Location: the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between th

Postby fueryIre » 24 Mar 2017, 17:33

sloopjohnc wrote:People might laugh at this, but I thought he was really good in the Intern with Ann Hathaway.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 18:49

The Great Defector wrote:

The only thing that can possibly save you now is...."I was watching this to impress a lady friend".

:oops:

I like it

Testicles shrivel while he types

K

Postby K » 24 Mar 2017, 18:58

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

:oops:

I like it

Testicles shrivel while he types

I haven't seen it, so won't dismiss it out f hand like some posters. From the clips I saw I remember thinking that De Niro looked good in it, an interesting vulnerability.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Mar 2017, 19:54

It's called banter and having the craic. We couldn't care less if he liked it or not.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 20:15

The Great Defector wrote:It's called banter and having the craic. We couldn't care less if he liked it or not.

What Mark's saying is that light hearted, critical debate goes out the window as long as he can make a joke about my manhood.

Do I have that pretty much right?

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 24 Mar 2017, 20:19

Yeah. If you were that bothered by it we know you'd let us hear it.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 20:55

The Great Defector wrote:Yeah. If you were that bothered by it we know you'd let us hear it.

Your posts on the NBA thread bother me. This, no.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 25 Mar 2017, 02:38

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Yeah. If you were that bothered by it we know you'd let us hear it.

Your posts on the NBA thread bother me. This, no.

The truth hurts you about America's 2nd/3ed sport.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 25 Mar 2017, 07:23

He played Robert De Niro pretty well in Silver Linings Playbook.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Mar 2017, 10:59

I watched Silver Linings Playbook - forgettable film for the most part. I mean, I remember who was in it, but that's about it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 25 Mar 2017, 19:10

In a very underwritten part I thought he was fine. The film was very very slight. However I'd rather watch this again than suffer The Hateful Eight or Interstellar again.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 27 Mar 2017, 01:22

PresMuffley wrote:I watched Silver Linings Playbook - forgettable film for the most part. I mean, I remember who was in it, but that's about it.

It's one of those films that does the bare minimum in terms of telling a story, setting up relatively believable characters and motivates scenes well enough to produce a coherent film. Nothing particularly bad from a filmmaking standpoint, but nothing particularly memorable either. I did like Bradley Cooper in the film, though. He's a damn good actor anyway.

Return to “Screenadelica”