BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - FULL RESULTS ARE UP!!

..and why not?
Samoan

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - FULL RESULTS ARE UP!!

Postby Samoan » 20 Nov 2017, 22:04

Snarfyguy wrote:
Samoan wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Nice to see all of your full lists. In a lot of cases, the most interesting choices are the ones that didn’t make the cull.

Mine is a bit “safer” and “USA-centric” than I intended. Hard to fit in too many personal choices when squeezing the whole history of film into 50 slots. Especially given the fact that I went with the “top of the head” method and comes lies the list in 5 minutes.
The Tree of Life
The Thin Red Line

Heaven's Gate

Great to see these three films chosen in your 50, they leave me rapt.

He also chose Badlands, you know! :)

Why yes, he did, and Days of Heaven both of which successfully made the rankings.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Nov 2017, 22:56

I did choose 'Seconds' and 'Days of Heaven' in previous lists, but this time I went for a more quixotic selection, even though I knew a lot of my picks would only be picked by me.
Sad to see 'Don't Look Now' fall as heavily as it did. It should be a lot higher

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Nov 2017, 03:09

Did we ever do a film-club type discussion on Don’t Look Now? That’s a film I would love to discuss.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Nov 2017, 09:32

pcqgod wrote:My list:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Siegel, 1956)

FFS, how did I forget that? Would have been high on my list, if I had any kind of memory.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 21 Nov 2017, 11:19

My list, largely from the 80s/90s when I watched far more films, and well skewed towards comedy

Top 10 - 8 points
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
This is Spinal tap
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, or if one The Return of the King
Apocalypse Now
Paris Texas
Blue Velvet
Withnail and I
The Return of the Pink Panther

20 - 6 points

Repo Man
Betty Blue
Koyanisqaatsi
Brazil
Dirty Harry
Jerry McGuire
Star War ( IV) the first one
Goodfellas
Grosse Point Blank
The Blues Brothers

30 - 5 points
National Lampoon's Animal House
Deadpool
Trainspotting
The Godfather
LA Confidential
Batman The Dark Knight
The Battle of Britain
Shaun of the Dead
Snatch
Lost in Translation

40 - 4 points

Goldfinger
Planes Trains & Automobiles
Kelly's Heroes
Lock Stock and Two smoking Barrels
The Graduate
Uncle Buck
The Longest Day
Love Actually
Terminator 2
The Usual Suspects.

50 - 2 points

The Shawshank Redemption
The Big Lobowski
C@sino
Pulp Fiction
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Life is Sweet ( Mike Leigh )
The Jungle Book ( cartoon )
Broadway Danny Rose
12 Angry Men
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I can't imagine why no Pink Panther film made it, people tend to forget about them and there was no stand out film but they are some of the funniest slapstick films ever made

And no Kelly's Heroes, FFS call yourselves film fans, Hustlers!

In retrospect wish I'd chosen Naked over Life is Sweet for gritty 80s British stuff with an edge of comedy.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 22 Nov 2017, 00:52

Here's your chance, Copehead. Please explain the appeal of Dirty Harry to me.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 22 Nov 2017, 00:56

driftin wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I'll have to take driftin's word here since I've read him going on about this film for years now and he clearly has a passion.

Damn, have I really been that loud about it?

Not in an obnoxious way or anything. I think it's perfectly natural to go on a bit about the things you love. I mean, that is partly why we're here, right?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 22 Nov 2017, 01:01

The Modernist wrote:That's a really good list. I wish more people knew about "Seconds".

I've been wanting to watch that for some time now. It comes on TCM maybe twice a year tops, but it's always on really fucking late and I don't have a DVR.

It was good to see Five Easy Pieces on Dave's list. Probably my favorite Jack Nicholson film.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 22 Nov 2017, 01:05

Darkness_Fish wrote:
pcqgod wrote:My list:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Siegel, 1956)

FFS, how did I forget that? Would have been high on my list, if I had any kind of memory.

i had it on my list, too. fantastic.

i also love goat boy's pick of night of the demon. but i'm bettin he already knows that.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 22 Nov 2017, 08:36

PresMuffley wrote:Here's your chance, Copehead. Please explain the appeal of Dirty Harry to me.

It was the first X film I ever watched as a teenager. It is the sort of film that teenage boys love; it is violent, fun, funny and endlessly quotable. It is in for the same reasons that Kelly's Heroes is in, it gives me a proustian rush.

It is also a fantastic period piece, yes it is a fascistic Judge Dread precursor but you don't tend to put too much thought into those sorts of things when you are 16 and male and when you get older you tend to give the film a bit of a free pass on some of its more questionable ethics.

It is a fine performance by Clint as well and a better one by his .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world.

Do you feel lucky punk; well do yah!?
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Nov 2017, 08:55

Copehead wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:Here's your chance, Copehead. Please explain the appeal of Dirty Harry to me.

It was the first X film I ever watched as a teenager. It is the sort of film that teenage boys love; it is violent, fun, funny and endlessly quotable. It is in for the same reasons that Kelly's Heroes is in, it gives me a proustian rush.

It is also a fantastic period piece, yes it is a fascistic Judge Dread precursor but you don't tend to put too much thought into those sorts of things when you are 16 and male and when you get older you tend to give the film a bit of a free pass on some of its more questionable ethics.

It is a fine performance by Clint as well and a better one by his .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world.

Do you feel lucky punk; well do yah!?

I agree with all that. The rest of the series is crap though. I think Andrew Robinson's performance as the killer is superb, too. I mean, it occasionally veers into the hammy, but he's very believably unhinged throughout.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Nov 2017, 09:37

Yes to the above.

At a basic level it’s a superbly made thriller with a cracking soundtrack, a fantastic villain a wonderful period feel.

On a deeper level the movies power lies in its combination of two points of view and how it plays (and satirises) with the audiences desire for revenge and violence. Some people naturally see it as some reactionary right wing fantasy. The lone American bypassing the ineffective judiciary dishing out retribution with a 44 Magnum like bad ass from a Western. Of course this appeals to some people and it also appeals to us, the audience, who naturally like seeing low lifes and punks getting their arses kicked. It feels good when Harry scares the guy in the street with his speech, doesn’t it? Of course it does.

But there’s something else going on and despite the movies ambiguity I think it ultimately comes down on this side, rather than the one I’ve described above. Harry is a man out of time, an anachronism. His methods are showed to often be faulty and an actual hindrance to capturing the killer (the little girl dies for example); when Harry breaks into the stadium the evidence he captures cannot be used and the killer goes free. The underlying message is that the law and due process needs to be followed (remember the lawyers speech?) even if we, the audience, desire something else.

And yet.....Harry goes rogue at the end and kills the bad guy buy at what cost to himself? Harry throws his badge away like a broken man. Was the burden too great? Has he shamed the badge? Does he realise he is a man out of time and it’s necessary to move aside and let cops like his partner take over? There is ambiguity here, there is throughout the movie of course. Is Siegel saying sometimes it is necessary to do what Harry does to get the bad guy? Possibly but is it worth it?

I think it’s a misunderstood movie in many ways but also a great one.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 22 Nov 2017, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 22 Nov 2017, 09:43

It showcases this gem, "No More Lies, Girl" sung by Bernard Ito.

Do check it out, Pres. (I've used it in a good few BCB cups and it's gone down a storm :? )

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Nov 2017, 12:20

I don’t even think Dirty Harry was the best Collaboration between Eastwood and Don Siegel released in 1971. That would be The Beguiled, which made my list (I was strangely unaware that a remake was just due to be released when I listed it).

Talk about your Proustian rushes. The Beguiled is such a weird mix of horror, period piece and exploitation film. It’s really a singular piece of cinema - and along with the Homeric odyssey that is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, it’s easily one of the two most interesting films Eastwood ever leant his efforts to.

Dirty Harry is what it is. Personally I think Goat Boy dismissed the dismissals too easily. It IS a reactionary right-wing fantasy and it doesn’t come down on the side of due process. It comes down on the side of a man “dirty” enough to sacrifice himself for justice to occur. Ultimately it’s a pretty repellent film politically, made watchable by strong direction and a strong leading actor.

I’m also amazed at the praise given to the performance of Robinson as the villain. He’s over the top to the point of distraction, almost single-handedly sinking the film.

P.S. Other’s have mentioned Siegel’s Invasion of the Body Snatchers (a much better film than Harry...and probably better even than the Beguiled) - not sure how it failed to make my list. An absolute masterpiece.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Nov 2017, 12:34

PresMuffley wrote:
The Modernist wrote:That's a really good list. I wish more people knew about "Seconds".

I've been wanting to watch that for some time now. It comes on TCM maybe twice a year tops, but it's always on really fucking late and I don't have a DVR.

It was good to see Five Easy Pieces on Dave's list. Probably my favorite Jack Nicholson film.

It’s like the greatest episode of The TwilightZone ever...fleshed out to be more paranoid and more psychedelic. It’s impossible to to look away from.

Five Easy Pieces is such an enigma of a film. It gets at the essential unknowability of human beings better than any film I can think of. Especially how mysterious we are to ourselves.

I was heartened to see several of your choices. Chief among them, I Never Sang For My Father. What a great (and sadly forgotten) film that is.

Also...I’ve neglected to thank Al for the super job of compiling this list. So lovingly done with the posters and film descriptions. When screenadelica is active it’s my favorite part of BCB, and this has brought some life to it again...so thank you!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Nov 2017, 12:55

There was a lass in my school who was the spit of Scorpio. A mate and I used to go up to her and quote lines from the movie but she obviously didn't have a clue what we were on about. We thought this was hilarious of course.

She left not long after that. I really hope it wasn't our fault.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Nov 2017, 13:11

Maybe you are her #metoo story!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Nov 2017, 13:14

Oh gawd, I'm sorry!

We were young! We were obsessed! And you really DID look like Scorpio! :oops:

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 23 Nov 2017, 11:33

Samoan wrote:It showcases this gem, "No More Lies, Girl" sung by Bernard Ito.

Do check it out, Pres. (I've used it in a good few BCB cups and it's gone down a storm :? )

Pretty chill track. I don't remember the soundtrack to the movie at all it's been so long since I watched it.

It was one of my dad's favorite movies, and while he often had excellent taste (Cool Hand Luke, Papillon, The Hustler) I never liked this one and I really don't think there's much ambiguity to be found. In short, I agree with Dave.

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Nov 2017, 20:12

Great job getting there in the end Al. Especially liked the posters. Film posters are great. This is my list if anyone wants to look at it and wonder why the hell I picked an old Bob Hope film in amongst all the pretentious foreign arty stuff and Friday-night-beer sci-fi.

These ten get 9 points each
Alice in the Cities (Wenders, 1974)
Aliens (Cameron, 1986)
Au Revoir Les Enfants (Malle, 1987)
Badlands (Malick, 1973)
Black Cat White Cat (Kusturica, 1998)
Blade Runner (Scott, 1982/2007 [superior "final" cut])
Cléo de 5 à 7 (Varda, 1962)
My Life as a Dog (Hallström, 1985)
Spirit of the Beehive (Erice, 1973)
Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979)

The rest get 4 points each
Accattone (Pasolini, 1961)
All the President's Men (Pakula, 1976)
Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1966)
Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
Ariel (Kaurismäki, 1988)
Bande à Part (Godard, 1964)
Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975)
Blue (Kieslowski, 1993)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Hill, 1969)
The Cat and the Canary (Nugent, 1939)
The Deer Hunter (Cimino, 1978)
8 1/2 (Fellini, 1963)
The 400 Blows (Truffaut, 1959)
The Godfather (Coppola, 1972)
The Godfather, Part II (Coppola, 1974)
Kontroll (Antal, 2003)
La Dolce Vita (Fellini, 1960)
Lacombe Lucien (Malle, 1974)
Landscape in the Mist (Angelopoulos, 1988)
Last Year at Marienbad (Resnais, 1961)
Le Mépris (Godard, 1963)
L'Enfant (Dardenne Bros, 2005)
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Jackson, 2001)
Man with a Movie Camera (Vertov, 1929)
Metropolis (Lang, 1927)
Night of the Hunter (Laughton, 1955)
North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)
Pickpocket (Bresson, 1959)
Pierrot Le Fou (Godard, 1965)
Platoon (Stone, 1986)
Quiz Show (Redford, 1994)
The Round-Up (Jancsó, 1966)
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (Parajanov, 1965)
Shaun of the Dead (Wright, 2004)
Sleeper (Allen, 1973)
Solaris (Tarkovsky, 1972)
Toy Story (Lasseter, 1995)
24 Hour Party People (Winterbottom, 2002)
Withnail and I (Robinson, 1987)
Valley of the Bees (Vlácil, 1967)

(for anyone who actually does want an answer: sentiment/nostalgia. Fond memories of watching it with my grandparents when I was young)
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Screenadelica”