BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-90 UP

..and why not?
algroth

BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-90 UP

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 04:33

So, it's been a while since we last did this, I think, and it would be interesting to do a new poll. We'll keep the same rules as the previous polls, which are as follows:

You will need to send a PM including FIFTY (50) films, with up to 250 points distributed as you wish among them (5 per film being the neutral amount). The list will be determined by the number of votes first, and by the total amount of points second. If the film is not in the English language, then please write both the original title and its English translation. Include year and director for each film, that way I don't get the films mixed up.

Not obligatory, but please try to respect the following layout, avoiding the enumeration at the start, as it'll make things easier for me:

*Original film title* [*Translated film title, if applicable*] (*director*, *year*) - *score*

Example:

The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972) - 8
Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941) - 5
Ladri di biciclette [The Bicycle Thieves] (Vittorio de Sica, 1948) - 2
etc.

To take part, all you have to do is send me the lists via PM before May 1st. Hope to see plenty of lists by that date! :)

At long last, THE RESULTS (WARNING - for the most part I've tried the best I could to find the original trailers, or at least clips which were representative enough of the film in order to complement the list as samples, but it is necessary to point out that some of these, despite being the official trailers of the time, contain spoilers):

90=

Airplane! (1980)
Directed by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker

Still craving for the love of his life, Ted Striker follows Elaine onto the flight that she is working on as a member of the cabin crew. Elaine doesn't want to be with Ted anymore, but when the crew and passengers fall ill from food poisoning, all eyes are on Ted. --FilmFanUk (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhSiVXL_aA

Votes: 3
Voters: never/ever (6), fange (5), The Write Profile (3)
Position in 2011 poll: New!

90=
(Sponsored by RedLetterMedia)

Boyhood (2014)
Directed by Richard Linklater

There has never been another movie like Boyhood, from director Richard Linklater. An event film of the utmost modesty, it was shot over the course of twelve years in the director’s native Texas and charts the physical and emotional changes experienced by a child named Mason (Ellar Coltrane), his divorced parents (Patricia Arquette, who won an Oscar for her performance, and Ethan Hawke), and his older sister (Lorelei Linklater). Alighting not on milestones but on the small, in-between moments that make up lives, Linklater fashions a flawlessly acted, often funny portrait that flows effortlessly from one year to the next. Allowing us to watch people age on film with documentary realism while gripping us in a fictional narrative of exquisite everydayness, Boyhood has a power that only the art of cinema could harness. --Criterion Collection

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiDztHS3Wos

Voters: John Coan (6), pcqgod (5), The Write Profile (3)

90=

Get Carter (1971)
Directed by Mike Hodges

Jack Carter (Michael Caine) -- a vindictive and amoral London gangster -- returns to his home town of Newcastle after his brother dies in a car accident. Carter, however, is convinced that he was murdered, and begins an investigation into Newcastle's criminal underworld. When Carter is ordered to leave town by the minions of a shadowy mob boss, his suspicious become confirmed, and he begins his brutal vengeance. --Denny Gibbons (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4XrUDBlfM

Voters: Ranking Ted (5), The modernist (6), The Write Profile (3)

90=

Naked (1993)
Directed by Mike Leigh

The brilliant and controversial Naked, from director Mike Leigh, stars David Thewlis as Johnny, a charming and eloquent but relentlessly vicious drifter. Rejecting anyone who might care for him, the volcanic Johnny hurls himself around London on a nocturnal odyssey, colliding with a succession of other desperate and dispossessed people and scorching everyone in his path. With a virtuoso script and raw performances from Thewlis and costars Katrin Cartlidge and Lesley Sharp, Leigh’s depiction of England’s underbelly is an amalgam of black comedy and doomsday prophecy that took the best director and best actor prizes at the 1993 Cannes Film Festival. --Criterion Collection

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLtLUL1wy7g

Voters: driftin (1), martha (10), The modernist (3)

90=

Heat (1995)
Directed by Michael Mann

Neil McCauley is a thief... an expert thief... one of the best. His philosophy in life - become attached to nothing in life that you can't walk away from in 30 seconds if you spot the "Heat" around the corner. His crew of criminals is a high-tech outfit pulling off professional jobs that impress even the likes of Detective Vincent Hanna. But Hanna, a man driven through life only by his work, becomes obsessed, at the expense of his private life, with bringing McCauley down. As McCauley's crew prepare for the score of a lifetime, and Hanna's team tries to bring him in, the two find that they are challenged by the greatest minds on the opposite side of the law that either one has ever encountered. --Michael Silva (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfKbIbiX458

Voters: John Coan (4), WG Kaspar (5), Ranking Ted (5)

90=

Chinatown (1974)
Directed by Roman Polanski

JJ 'Jake' Gittes is a private detective who seems to specialize in matrimonial cases. He is hired by Evelyn Mulwray when she suspects her husband Hollis, builder of the city's water supply system, of having an affair. Gittes does what he does best and photographs him with a young girl but in the ensuing scandal, it seems he was hired by an impersonator and not the real Mrs. Mulwray. When Mr. Mulwray is found dead, Jake is plunged into a complex web of deceit involving murder, incest and municipal corruption all related to the city's water supply. --garykmcd (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T37QkBc4IGY

Voters: Goat Boy (4), WG Kaspar (5), Ranking Ted (5)
Position in 2011 poll: #20 (down 70)

90=

Lost in Translation (2003)
Directed by Sofia Coppola

A lonely, aging movie star named Bob Harris and a conflicted newlywed, Charlotte, meet in Tokyo. Bob is there to film a Japanese whiskey commercial; Charlotte is accompanying her celebrity-photographer husband. Strangers in a foreign land, the two find escape, distraction and understanding amidst the bright Tokyo lights after a chance meeting in the quiet lull of the hotel bar. They form a bond that is as unlikely as it is heartfelt and meaningful. --Jwelch7542 (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU0oZsqeG_s

Voters: fange (5), Copehead (5), Darkness_Fish (4)

90=

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Directed by Sidney Lumet

At the end of the banking day on August 22, 1972, Sonny, Sal and Stevie enter a small branch of the First Brooklyn Savings Bank. After all the customers have left and the bank is about to close, they, armed, proceed to rob it. But the robbery does not go according to Sonny's plan, he who is the leader. One problem after another arises, which ultimately leads to a standoff, them locked inside with ten hostages - the male bank manager, the male security guard, and eight female tellers and clerks - and the police, the media and a hoard of on-lookers outside. Despite Sonny and Sal having a suicide pact if things go wrong, Sonny tries to negotiate a way out, he figuring that the hostages are their only saving grace. As Sonny deals with the authorities - primarily "good cop" Moretti who seems to give Sonny whatever he wants, and "bad cop" Sheldon, an FBI agent who plays hardball with Sonny - the public, watching the interactions, have mixed emotions about what Sonny is doing, some who are sympathetic to him as a person. As the situation turns into a circus both inside and outside the bank, the emotions are brought up a notch when Sonny's second wife is brought to the scene, "she" who is able to shed some light on why Sonny needs the money. As day turns to night, the standoff continues until... --Huggo (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne6KMHLTvik

Voters: John Coan (4), Davey the Fat Boy (5), WG Kaspar (5)
Position in 2011 poll: #18 (down 72)

90=

Platoon (1986)
Directed by Oliver Stone

Chris Taylor is a young, naive American who gives up college and volunteers for combat in Vietnam. Upon arrival, he quickly discovers that his presence is quite nonessential, and is considered insignificant to the other soldiers, as he has not fought for as long as the rest of them and felt the effects of combat. Chris has two non-commissioned officers, the ill-tempered and indestructible Staff Sergeant Robert Barnes and the more pleasant and cooperative Sergeant Elias Grodin. A line is drawn between the two NCOs and a number of men in the platoon when an illegal killing occurs during a village raid. As the war continues, Chris himself draws towards psychological meltdown. And as he struggles for survival, he soon realizes he is fighting two battles, the conflict with the enemy and the conflict between the men within his platoon. --Jeremy Thompson (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGsyEkfjhQk

Voters: fange (5), PENK (4), WG Kaspar (5)

90=

Blazing Saddles (1974)
Directed by Mel Brooks

The Ultimate Western Spoof. A town where everyone seems to be named Johnson is in the way of the railroad. In order to grab their land, Hedley Lemar (Harvey Korman), a politically connected nasty person, sends in his henchmen to make the town unlivable. After the sheriff is killed, the town demands a new sheriff from the Governor (Mel Brooks). Hedley convinces him to send the town the first Black sheriff (Cleavon Little) in the west. Bart is a sophisticated urbanite who will have some difficulty winning over the townspeople. --John Vogel (IMDb.com)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKayG1TrfuE

Voters: Goat Boy (4), pcqgod (5), kath (5)

90=

Days of Heaven (1978)
Directed by Terrence Malick

One-of-a-kind filmmaker-philosopher Terrence Malick has created some of the most visually arresting films of the twentieth century, and his glorious period tragedy Days of Heaven, featuring Oscar-winning cinematography by Nestor Almendros, stands out among them. In 1910, a Chicago steelworker (Richard Gere) accidentally kills his supervisor, and he, his girlfriend (Brooke Adams), and his little sister (Linda Manz) flee to the Texas panhandle, where they find work harvesting wheat in the fields of a stoic farmer (Sam Shepard). A love triangle, a swarm of locusts, a hellish fire—Malick captures it all with dreamlike authenticity, creating a timeless American idyll that is also a gritty evocation of turn-of-the-century labor. --Criterion Collection

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVbg9xc7tGc

Voters: driftin (1), joels344 (8), Davey the Fat Boy (5)
Last edited by algroth on 25 May 2017, 23:09, edited 15 times in total.

algroth

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll - 2017 edition

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 11:32

[Reserved for results]

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 11:33

[Reserved for results]

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 11:33

[Reserved for results]

driftin

Postby driftin » 16 Mar 2017, 12:42

[reserved for results as well]

Looking forward to the results.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 16 Mar 2017, 14:02

[Reserved for results]

Should be a fun poll for the next 9 years.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 16 Mar 2017, 14:37

Yay! :D
--m.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - NOW TAKING LISTS!!

Postby PENK » 16 Mar 2017, 19:49

algroth wrote:You will need to send a PM including FIFTY (50) films

But even if I add up all the Carry On and Police Academy films I'm still twelve short. Image
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 20:11

PENK wrote:

But even if I add up all the Carry On and Police Academy films I'm still twelve short. Image

FeelsBadMan :(

You can always fit in the Naked Gun and National Lampoon films in there too. :D

joels344

Postby joels344 » 16 Mar 2017, 21:48

algroth wrote:
PENK wrote:

The first Vacation has some good laughs in it. :D

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Mar 2017, 21:58

joels344 wrote:
algroth wrote:
PENK wrote:

So do some of the Naked Gun and Police Academy movies. :) (Haven't seen any Carry On so I cannot comment there.)

joels344

Postby joels344 » 17 Mar 2017, 03:10

algroth wrote:
joels344 wrote:
algroth wrote:

So do some of the Naked Gun and Police Academy movies. :) (Haven't seen any Carry On so I cannot comment there.)

Especially Naked Gun, Leslie Nielsen is one funny dude.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 17 Mar 2017, 06:57

Be careful if you want to vote for C@sino, and why wouldn't you, it will take you hours to work out which one of your 50 films is causing the fLlck up
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 17 Mar 2017, 07:23

This would be much easier if I hadn't deleted the IMDb account that I rated with.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

algroth

Postby algroth » 17 Mar 2017, 07:55

PresMuffley wrote:This would be much easier if I hadn't deleted the IMDb account that I rated with.

:( Yeah, it's definitely handy to have. I'm in the process of transferring all of my ratings to RYM/Cinemos and using that as my database from now on, being that with the boards' closure I see little reason to keep the account I right now have. Hope to see you take part, all the same!

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 17 Mar 2017, 08:05

I have a RYM account, but I haven't used it in years. Whenever I look at the site now it seems to take forever to load (usually if I'm online I'm using my phone, maybe that's why?)so I try to avoid using it. I might get around to this. Looks fun, even if it will be a lot of work.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

algroth

Postby algroth » 20 Mar 2017, 03:12

Got five lists so far. Fellas, keep 'em coming!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Mar 2017, 21:48

Cool! Just stumbled on this.
Do you need year and director too?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

algroth

Postby algroth » 20 Mar 2017, 23:18

never/ever wrote:Cool! Just stumbled on this.
Do you need year and director too?

It's not mandatory but it would make my life a little easier. :)

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - ACCEPTING LISTS UNTIL APRIL 23RD!

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Mar 2017, 14:20

I've sent my list. Already regretting leaving films out. No Harold and Maude, La Strada, The Apartment, Dirty Harry....
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Return to “Screenadelica”