BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - FULL RESULTS ARE UP!!

..and why not?
fange
100% fangetastic

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-83 UP

Postby fange » 30 May 2017, 09:04

Darkness_Fish wrote:
fange wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Who needs a time capsule when you've got this site?

Well, lucky we've got you D_F; i'm sure you didn't pick any dusty old film crap from the '60s or before, right?

If it hasn't got a digitised explosion, or some unconvincing CGI alien, I'm not interested.

Good man.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-76 UP

Postby Goat Boy » 30 May 2017, 09:44

He is a horror fan though so he can't be all bad
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 May 2017, 10:14

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:How did I forget to vote for Persona?!!

It's an incredible piece of work. Bergman squeezes so much into that film and it only lasts about 90 minutes.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 May 2017, 10:25

Goat Boy wrote:He is a horror fan though so he can't be all bad

Take that back right now.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 May 2017, 10:30

Funnily enough, as a horror fan, I've never rated The Thing particularly highly, it's one of John Carpenter's first failures for me. The gore is silly, Kurt Russell has never convinced me as a particularly capable actor, and I find it quite dull. Suspense is difficult to maintain when you really don't care about a single character, either,

I realise I might be commenting only on films I don't like here, but that's because the other choices have either been very strong, or I haven't seen them.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 May 2017, 10:49

K wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Funnily enough, as a horror fan, I've never rated The Thing particularly highly, it's one of John Carpenter's first failures for me. The gore is silly, Kurt Russell has never convinced me as a particularly capable actor, and I find it quite dull. Suspense is difficult to maintain when you really don't care about a single character, either,

I realise I might be commenting only on films I don't like here, but that's because the other choices have either been very strong, or I haven't seen them.

Whereas i think it ia an incredible film. Tense, scary, dramatic and with wonderful special effects.

Yeah, I know I'm in a minority on this one, too. We're not agreeing on much at the moment :lol:

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 30 May 2017, 11:01

Hmmm... having none of my choices in this latest batch on here worries me that I've capped out with getting Mike Leigh's Naked on here as far as getting my favorite films into the top 100 this time. Last time all my choices were in the bottom fifty so I was expecting to see my picks represented here, but I think folks choices and the smaller pool this time around has led to much more individualistic picks. I should have just given the same number of points to all of them. I distributed my points stupidly this time around I think.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo García (1974)
Voters: Davey the Fat Boy (5), Snarfyguy (5), The Write Profile (6)
Position in 2011 poll: New!
Ah! The Peckinpaw just keeps coming huh?

Das Leben der Anderen [The Lives of Others] (2006)
Voters: WG Kaspar (5), Ranking Ted (5), The Write Profile (6)
Position in 2011 poll: #19 (down 57)
Sure, glad it's still on here, decent choice.

The Thing (1982)
Voters: driftin (1), Goat Boy (5), Jumper K (10)
This says it all...

But seriously, this is one of my fav sci-fi horror flicks.

Psycho (1960)
Voters: Davey the Fat Boy (5), kath (5), Darkness_Fish (6)
Position in 2011 poll: #63 (down 13)
Sure. It's a lot of horror in this last batch huh? Not my favorite Hitchcock, but sure.

The Blues Brothers (1980)
Voters: fange (5), Copehead (6), kath (5)
Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips.

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
Voters: John Coan (6), fange (5), Davey the Fat Boy (5)
I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, and this is by no means my favorite Woody Allen flick, but it's a reasonable pick.

Persona (1966)
Voters: driftin (1), joels344 (10), Goat Boy (5)
Position in 2011 poll: #81 (up 5)
Obviously a great film, glad it's still on the list.
--m.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 30 May 2017, 11:21

martha wrote:

[b]The Thing (1982)

Voters: driftin (1), Goat Boy (5), Jumper K (10)
This says it all...

But seriously, this is one of my fav sci-fi horror flicks.

I love The Thing; it was one of 3 Carpenter films that I had on my initial long-list, but in the end I think only one of them made the final cut of 50.
I really hope that one makes it through, but if it wasn't in the 80-100 range it probably didn't. We'll see.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 May 2017, 11:23

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:He is a horror fan though so he can't be all bad

Take that back right now.

After your Thing comments I'm taking it back right now

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 May 2017, 11:27

The Thing is fantastic. It’s a masterpiece of claustrophobic tension. Intense as hell. The special effects remain a high watermark of the genre.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 May 2017, 12:36

They certainly represent a peak. I watched American werewolf recently and the transformation scene still looks great.

I miss all those real life special effects.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 30 May 2017, 13:20

Darkness_Fish wrote:
K wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Funnily enough, as a horror fan, I've never rated The Thing particularly highly, it's one of John Carpenter's first failures for me. The gore is silly, Kurt Russell has never convinced me as a particularly capable actor, and I find it quite dull. Suspense is difficult to maintain when you really don't care about a single character, either,

Whereas i think it ia an incredible film. Tense, scary, dramatic and with wonderful special effects.

Yeah, I know I'm in a minority on this one, too. We're not agreeing on much at the moment :lol:

I'm with you on The Thing, I remember finding it pretty dull. Assault on Precinct 13 is my favourite of his.
I can't believe I forgot to include Psycho on my list! :oops:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 May 2017, 15:42

Goat Boy wrote:They certainly represent a peak. I watched American werewolf recently and the transformation scene still looks great.

I miss all those real life special effects.

Absolutely, I watched it a few weeks back, and the effects hold up superbly. One of the saddest things about the adoption of CGI is the lack of invention and thought that it's led to; I'd be surprised if the majority of directors even consider what's going to appear on screen sometimes, they seem to just leave a space where some other department can create some CGI can be thrown at us. A transformation scene now would be over in 2 seconds, it would be seamless, massively detailed, yet look rubbish and convey nothing of the physicality and pain of that bone structure stretching.

algroth

Postby algroth » 30 May 2017, 15:42

K wrote:The triad of The Thing, The Howling and American Werewolf set a new high bar for special effects basically destroying everything that had come before.

It's hard to pinpoint it down to only so many films, that was an incredible time for practical effects-driven films. I think Alien for one is a film that set a new bar as well right before these, whereas Videodrome also deserves recognition in this area.

algroth

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-69 UP

Postby algroth » 01 Jun 2017, 22:08

New batch is up! Some big names in this update including two former top 10 entries. Also, on one hand, yay! I finally got my first two entries. On the other hand, there's finally a film in the list that I don't really care for (Return of the King).

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 02 Jun 2017, 01:37

algroth wrote:New batch is up! Some big names in this update including two former top 10 entries. Also, on one hand, yay! I finally got my first two entries. On the other hand, there's finally a film in the list that I don't really care for (Return of the King).

Deaaaaaatttttthhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

algroth

Postby algroth » 02 Jun 2017, 04:12

Copehead wrote:
algroth wrote:New batch is up! Some big names in this update including two former top 10 entries. Also, on one hand, yay! I finally got my first two entries. On the other hand, there's finally a film in the list that I don't really care for (Return of the King).

There are other films in the list I like but don't love (e.g. Chinatown or Airplane!), but I do outright dislike the Lord of the Rings saga, and of the three I do think Return of the King is the worst. On the plus side, there's been some pretty cool poster art made for it by fans. Here's another one I considered posting:

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 02 Jun 2017, 04:47

algroth wrote:
Copehead wrote:

There are other films in the list I like but don't love (e.g. Chinatown or Airplane!), but I do outright dislike the Lord of the Rings saga, and of the three I do think Return of the King is the worst. On the plus side, there's been some pretty cool poster art made for it by fans. Here's another one I considered posting:

I am sucker for Orcs and battles and wizards and stuff, and in LOTR ( and The Hobbit despite being overly extended ) it is done extraordinarily well.

But " It only counts as one!"

It is magical to be able to lose yourself in a different world like that, it is why I like open world RPGs
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

algroth

Postby algroth » 02 Jun 2017, 06:00

Copehead wrote:
algroth wrote:
Copehead wrote:

I am sucker for Orcs and battles and wizards and stuff, and in LOTR ( and The Hobbit despite being overly extended ) it is done extraordinarily well.

But " It only counts as one!"

It is magical to be able to lose yourself in a different world like that, it is why I like open world RPGs

I'm a fan of Tolkien-esque fantasy and love plenty of RPGs in the mold (My all-time two favorite games are Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II, while you can also read my review of Pillars of Eternity here), but Jackson's films didn't do much for me. There are individual scenes in the first two films that I enjoy, as well as some of the feel for them, but the third I feel gets bogged down by an excess of pretty sloppy spectacle and melodrama, all the way up to the dozen finales that occupy the last 40 minutes or so of the film.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Jun 2017, 06:11

Oh man, forgot 'Grave of the Fireflies'. :( I chose a couple of anime classics, but should have picked this one too.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Screenadelica”