Terence Malick

..and why not?
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Terence Malick

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Mar 2017, 20:01

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I also want to add that I watched the director's cut of The New World on Sunday and it reminded me how important it is to see the best cut possible of his films. A lot of times the theatrical version is compromised by the need to make distributors and theater chains to accept it.

It's interesting to hear you say that because I didn't think that film was as good as it could have been (the pacing was kind of off or something - it's hard to even remember now). Maybe I'll give that director's cut a whirl. Thanks!

PS - Is it this version: https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Extend ... B001BNFRB2 ?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 21 Mar 2017, 20:56

Not at all. He's still one of the finest American filmmakers, despite some of his failures of recent memory. Sure, Days of Heaven and Badlands are his masterpieces, but The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life are also important films in their own right that deserve any accolades they have received.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Mar 2017, 22:35

Snarfyguy wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I also want to add that I watched the director's cut of The New World on Sunday and it reminded me how important it is to see the best cut possible of his films. A lot of times the theatrical version is compromised by the need to make distributors and theater chains to accept it.

It's interesting to hear you say that because I didn't think that film was as good as it could have been (the pacing was kind of off or something - it's hard to even remember now). Maybe I'll give that director's cut a whirl. Thanks!

PS - Is it this version: https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Extend ... B001BNFRB2 ?

Yes. I think the difference is pretty stark.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Mar 2017, 13:30

Oh, I love The New World. His most beautifully shot film since perhaps Days of Heaven.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Mar 2017, 03:10

Just saw Song to Song. It won't surprise anyone here that it absolutely knocked me out. I realize that I come off as a Malick fanboy (largely because...I am). So I'll simply say, if you liked the last few films...you'll like this one. If you don't see value in what he does these days...you won't find it here.

But God damn...what a film!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 30 Mar 2017, 21:35

I haven't had a chance to see Song to Song yet. I'm interested in it.
I didn't see Knight of Cups, To The Wonder or The New World.
Tree of Life was okay.
I really liked The Thin Red Line
--m.

Return to “Screenadelica”