Terence Malick

..and why not?
User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53289
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Terence Malick

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Mar 2017, 20:01

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I also want to add that I watched the director's cut of The New World on Sunday and it reminded me how important it is to see the best cut possible of his films. A lot of times the theatrical version is compromised by the need to make distributors and theater chains to accept it.

It's interesting to hear you say that because I didn't think that film was as good as it could have been (the pacing was kind of off or something - it's hard to even remember now). Maybe I'll give that director's cut a whirl. Thanks!

PS - Is it this version: https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Extend ... B001BNFRB2 ?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 1204
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Terence Malick

Postby joels344 » 21 Mar 2017, 20:56

Not at all. He's still one of the finest American filmmakers, despite some of his failures of recent memory. Sure, Days of Heaven and Badlands are his masterpieces, but The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life are also important films in their own right that deserve any accolades they have received.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23862
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Terence Malick

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Mar 2017, 22:35

Snarfyguy wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I also want to add that I watched the director's cut of The New World on Sunday and it reminded me how important it is to see the best cut possible of his films. A lot of times the theatrical version is compromised by the need to make distributors and theater chains to accept it.

It's interesting to hear you say that because I didn't think that film was as good as it could have been (the pacing was kind of off or something - it's hard to even remember now). Maybe I'll give that director's cut a whirl. Thanks!

PS - Is it this version: https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Extend ... B001BNFRB2 ?


Yes. I think the difference is pretty stark.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29840
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Terence Malick

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Mar 2017, 13:30

Oh, I love The New World. His most beautifully shot film since perhaps Days of Heaven.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23862
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Terence Malick

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Mar 2017, 03:10

Just saw Song to Song. It won't surprise anyone here that it absolutely knocked me out. I realize that I come off as a Malick fanboy (largely because...I am). So I'll simply say, if you liked the last few films...you'll like this one. If you don't see value in what he does these days...you won't find it here.

But God damn...what a film!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
martha
rambling rose
Posts: 5374
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:41
Location: Self-imposed exile.

Re: Terence Malick

Postby martha » 30 Mar 2017, 21:35

I haven't had a chance to see Song to Song yet. I'm interested in it.
I didn't see Knight of Cups, To The Wonder or The New World.
Tree of Life was okay.
I really liked The Thin Red Line
--m.