"British actors are referred to as 'The White Mexicans' in Hollywood.

..and why not?
Samoan

"British actors are referred to as 'The White Mexicans' in Hollywood.

Postby Samoan » 08 Mar 2017, 16:31

" British actors are referred to as 'The White Mexicans' in Hollywood.
They do a good job for less pay."

:?:
Discuss.

Ref: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/08/samuel-l-jackson-criticises-casting-of-black-british-actors-in-american-films
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

algroth

Re: "British actors are referred to as 'The White Mexicans' in Hollywood.

Postby algroth » 08 Mar 2017, 17:44

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Mar 2017, 19:26

Samoan wrote:
" British actors are referred to as 'The White Mexicans' in Hollywood.
They do a good job for less pay."

:?:
Discuss.

Ref: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/08/samuel-l-jackson-criticises-casting-of-black-british-actors-in-american-films

Well, I read a couple of the articles and they cite British actors stage work as a main reason they're getting roles. I've never acted, but I think there's a vast difference between stage acting and film acting. It might be harder for a stage actor to "lose" stage acting tendencies than an actor who's not as trained for the stage.

Re: roles, in Get Out, which was filmed as a present day movie, an African American might bring a contemporary frame of reference or "baggage" that's perfectly appropriate, whereas for an historical or fantasy film, that might not apply at all.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 10 Mar 2017, 00:50

algroth wrote:

:lol: Exactly. Durk a durr!

If Samuel L. Jackson and his multimillionaire Hollywood buddies would pool their resources and - here it comes, strap in - privilege to get the potholes in LA filled, that would be very nice of them, and genuinely beneficial to everyone. Too bad people nowadays love to bitch about imaginary grievances that they know have no solution, therefore requiring no actual energy to fix. Easier than taking a real stand and making a real difference. Spoiled brats.

Perhaps all the successful actors who continue to make movies are taking those jobs from someone less famous and wealthy, therefore denying that actor the right to achieve similar success. Give someone else a turn, why don't you? #SpreadTheWealth #GreedyRichPeople #NarcissistsGoHome

"White Mexicans" - what a fucking bigot.

"Quite."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Mar 2017, 14:49

I live in Hollywood and I've never heard that!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Mar 2017, 15:15

zoomboogity wrote:Perhaps all the successful actors who continue to make movies are taking those jobs from someone less famous and wealthy, therefore denying that actor the right to achieve similar success. Give someone else a turn, why don't you? #SpreadTheWealth #GreedyRichPeople #NarcissistsGoHome

Yeah, how come I'm not in that Kong: Skull Island thing?! Tom Hiddleston's just hogging up all the work, that shithead!
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 10 Mar 2017, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 10 Mar 2017, 16:19

I heard/read the phrase 'blacksplaining' today for the first time- an article on this issue in The Stranger (Seattle free paper) had comments criticising a black journo's criticism of SLJ.

Basically told SLJ to shut up until he learns to act as well as the Brits stealing his jobs.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

algroth

Postby algroth » 10 Mar 2017, 20:54

zoomboogity wrote:"White Mexicans" - what a fucking bigot.

Agreed with the rest, but one small point here: Jackson never used this expression, which was instead used in one of the comments. The post title is a little misleading in this regard.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Mar 2017, 23:07

Algroth is correct: The thread title and the first part of the OP was an early quote from a contributor in the Comments section of the article.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 11 Mar 2017, 01:33

Snarfyguy wrote:
zoomboogity wrote:Perhaps all the successful actors who continue to make movies are taking those jobs from someone less famous and wealthy, therefore denying that actor the right to achieve similar success. Give someone else a turn, why don't you? #SpreadTheWealth #GreedyRichPeople #NarcissistsGoHome

Yeah, how come I'm not in that Kong: Skull Island thing?! Tom Hiddleston's just hogging up all the work, that shithead!

Have you read the reviews of that flick? Perhaps you should count your blessings.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 11 Mar 2017, 11:33

Fonz wrote:I heard/read the phrase 'blacksplaining' today for the first time- an article on this issue in The Stranger (Seattle free paper) had comments criticising a black journo's criticism of SLJ.

Basically told SLJ to shut up until he learns to act as well as the Brits stealing his jobs.

Good. I suggest a new term: dicksplaining. And to assume that job was yours to steal is beyond hubris. Go home and count your money, you big baby.

algroth wrote:Jackson never used this expression, which was instead used in one of the comments. The post title is a little misleading in this regard.

I admit I didn't read the article to find out, because SLJ has said similar things before (and he's not the only one). But these guys are taking acting WAY too literally when it suits them. What if he got turned down for Pulp Fiction in favor of a real hit man? Then there are all Meryl Streep's roles. The list goes on. I realize these people get microphones shoved in their faces for soundbites all the time, but they need to learn to tell these "reporters" to either ask better questions or bug off.

And yeah, shame on The Guardian for such a shitty misleading headline. But what's shame when you got clickbait? I didn't even click, and I still won't. A lot of these rich people hire cheap labor to clean their homes and mow their lawns, so what's their issue here?

Return to “Screenadelica”